Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

John's New Shooter Journey

BenBreeg

Still doing my off-season fundamentals dryfire routine.  Reloads are coming, trying to find a consistent spot for my gun hand but just getting a consistent grip on the mags is helping.  This morning was all transitions, both Hopkins drills and Anderson's starts and stops.  I don't push the times in the Hopkins but for the starts and stops it was one of those days where for all three drills I kept coming in comfortably under the beep.  I just kept reducing the time by 2/10s and hitting them.  breakup starts and stops dropped 6/10 and the other two by 4/10.  Sometimes you go for a while and don't increase much and then it kind of comes together in a rush.  

Taking my my daughter to the range tomorrow with the 15-22, going to do some group shooting with the pistol as well.  Hope to start life fire training in about two weeks and will adjust dryfire to add some movement and barrier/position drills.

Finished off-season program.  Only had to skip one day over three months because of work travel.  Almost all drills were run in speed mode and I saw significant improvements in times.  But I also saw improvement in precision.  So basically I didn't just get faster from moving quicker, I wasted less time.  My index has improved dramatically.  It has really become all about my eyes, if I look to the next target fast, the gun gets there fast and the sights are generally lined up.  I miss times when my eyes get lazy.

This week is a break.  I am going to do some reloads all week because those are still not where I want them to be but going to sleep in a couple days then start a pre-season routine next Sunday then get outside if it starts to warm up around here for live fire.

• 2 months later...

I have been able to get a few live fire sessions in this year which really helped.  I needed to learn to wIt on the sights and work on seeing the recoil.  I am getting better at not double tapping and taking two unique shots.

Shot the Buckeye Blast and had a really good match.  Won D class production but also did well for me overall compared to the B and C guys.

Two things jumped out at me from that match, sort of related.  One, my stage planning needs work.  A lot of time i try to get cute and to fancy.  I skip targets tha are easy shots to come back later while backpeddling or somehing like that.  The better shooters on my squad mostly did it diferently than me on a lot of stages, and their times were better and hf too.  Have to make the plans simple i think.

Second, as i got tired at the end of the day my focus drifted.  My accuracy waned, it is visible when i look at my match as a whole.  And i completely hosed stage 12 because i was tired ans came up with a stupid plan, was too tired to visualize enough, got confused in the middle of my run, and left a target untouched...2x Mike and FTE.  This was one of the targets about 5 feet to the side of the start!

But overall very happy, bst match i have shot yet and good learning experience.

Got to watch Hopkins shoot a couple stages in person...that was cool.  Mever saw an open sight GM shoot live before.

Had a pretty good breakthrough in dryfire this weekend.  My reloads were really causing me frustration, they certainly weren't keeping up with the progress i made elsewhere in my shooting.  I have had the gun low, medium, high, rotated the gun, tilted, etc.  and since i never settled on one method, i was inconsistent.  This weekend fo some reason i did a few with the gun up high, and pulled it in just a few inches and all of a sudden things started going better.  So i played with that and found the sweet spot with just a little gun rotation i am having pretty consistent results.  Not perfect but really havent had any massive mag/gun collisions.  Need to refine a bit more then just get about a gazillion reps in.  Really hope this is going to get me over that hump!

• 1 month later...

Have been focusing on reloads even more, the last couple days they have really been close to where i would like.  High percentage of "swooshes", not hitting the magwell at all.  So i kept going.  Live fire lasr week spent almost the whole time doing 4 Aces but actually backed it up and just did 2 Reload 2 into the berm to focus solely on the reload.  This mornings dryfire was all reloads, they were going good so i took that opportunity to just replicate success over and over.  May get some live fire in today.

• 1 month later...

Shot Area 8 yesterday, had anpretty inconsistent match.  Stages varied wildly in my placement.  This probably makes sense as my dryfire has been inconsistent as well leading up to the match. I think the match was laid out well, there was a variety of targets and certain ones would separate the shooters by skill, like quick disappearing targets, some mini poppers at distance, and poppers behind hard cover.  While those did challenge me, the frustrating thing is i had some easy shot mikes.

i need to lean more visual patience, its not that i couldn't hit those targets, it was the result of rushing like pilling the trigger on the first target of a bigger transition.

definitely have some affirmation of some things i have been working on but i need to work on patience and speed overall.  Seems contradictory but that is the reality.  Often i spend too mush time on the sights while others i rush.