Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

3Gun advice for n00b

I will have my first 3Gun match this weekend and I'm obviously nervous. Looking for advice that would minimize beginners's typical screwup's.

I've shot 3 USPSA matches, shot my rifle 6 or 7 times (zeroed to 50yrds) and shot my shotgun, err, twice with both slugs and buckshot.

Aside from practicing shotgun reloads in front of the TV, what else can practice at home prior to the match?

Here's what I'm shooting:

- Walther PPQ

- Remington Versamax Tactical

- Stag 3G with Leopold 1.5-4, firedot.

Thank you.

Taking deep breaths, shaking out the legs and shoulders, anything mental that calms you down.

Go slow, be aware of the 180, TRIGGER FINGER and MUZZLE!

I would practice (dryfire at home) putting guns on safe and going to a new one, many times.

Good point. Didn't even think about that. So, the pistol is ok to be just holstered, but Rifle and Shotgun must be on safe before you ditch them or do I have to unload and show clear whenever I switch guns?

Practice 3 shots and then moving on. Do not go to war on one target you can't hit and waste money only to get frustrated on penalties incurred. Also have fun and go slow.

Edited by Solidgun

know where all three of your guns hit at various yardages with various loads.

at each stage let them know it's your first time and they should let you go last and give you some input/advice.

not sure which ruleset you're using, but read thru the rules so there are no surprises.

Good point. Didn't even think about that. So, the pistol is ok to be just holstered, but Rifle and Shotgun must be on safe before you ditch them or do I have to unload and show clear whenever I switch guns?

Check the rulesets. Most require you to abandon every gun, on safe or empty, before you use another one. You do not show the RO, you do it, they check after you are finished. If you did not do it right, you are done, or get a steep penalty as the case may be in each ruleset.

Yeah, Mark's advice is the best. You will be very nervous and feel like you are drinking from a fire hose. Focus on your range safety and doing things well. Listen closely to the RO's instructions and pay attention to what is going on around you. If you have questions, ask them, but try not to ask the person up next or the person preloading their shotgun. Don't worry about the timer. For your fist match, just getting through the day safely is a win. Even if you do get DQ'd... just shake it off, pack up your stuff and then come back hang out with your squad the rest of the day. You will still learn a lot and... everyone gets DQ'd at some point. I have been DQ'd 4 times myself and twice more, when I should have been.

One common mistake I see with new shooters is sweeping their weak hand with their pistol muzzle while reholstering. It's easy to do, especially if you are using a carry type holster or a baggy shirt. New guys often use their weak hand to clear the path for the pistol and then sweep that hand while holstering. That leads me into clothing. We don't all have a body types we like to show off (myself included), but form fitting shirts are best for our sport. They stay out of the way of our gear... even though they advertise our lack of exercise.

Don't overthink your first match. There are way too many things to think about when you are first starting out, just focus on having fun and being safe. Ask as many questions as you can without being overbearing. Don't try to buy a bunch of gear ahead of time. Show up with what you have and enough ammo and ask kindly to borrow whatever you need!

What I see people forget is the fact you will be out in the sun for hours. Here in Vegas that means bring sun block, lots of water and some light snacks. My first match several people quit because it got too hot and they were not prepared for the weather. Expect the match to take longer than you think and to use more ammo.

All good advice. The only thing I could add is tell the RO at each stage that you're a new shooter. Tell him to feel free to warn you if you're getting close to breaking the 180, or if you're moving with your finger on the trigger, or other safety concerns. The great thing about this sport is that new shooters are very welcome and we all want to see you succeed.

All good advice. To get the best value out of anything you practice at home you first need to have a plan. Get or make a notebook (range diary?) and ask some of the better competitors on your squad to critique your run on each stage. Ask them not just what you could improve on but also what your doing right. Self critique is just as important. Its the most efficient way to make a plan of what to spend time on.

The things to work on at home now are the safe gun handling skills, and the basic fundamentals of marksmanship. After critiquing a few matches you can build a plan to develop more advanced skills, and mindset.

Do not do anything to try to go faster. As your fundamentals improve, your skill set builds and your mindset develops, the speed will come automatically.

So I got to the match and I was a nervous wreck, Timed out in 3 out of 7 stages but I manage to relax and enjoy towards the end. Didn't get DQ'd and didn't finish last, so I'd call it a victory, specially having shot the shotgun only twice and never shot the rifle over 100yrds. Those 300+ yrds targets are a b!tc#.

Thanks for all the advice.

One other thing when you're starting out, don't battle a target. If you take a few shots and can't get it..move on. It'll save you time and help have less or no timeouts.

You'll get better with more time and knowing your weak spots to work on after a match

Great to hear from you and glad that you actually got out and after it. The advice about no DQ and safety is always good. Provided you get that out of the way, and its always something to remember think about manipulation of your firearms. Most can sit there and shoot at a target, its manipulation, transitions and reloading that get them. Start thinking about just plain better, smooth and more efficient handling of your firearms. What i see most among new shooters and Soldiers alike is they struggle with basics like reloading off their vest or belt etc.

After you get all this under your belt and things start running smooth, you will know when this is, then start asking some of the more "Why did you...." to some of the better shooters out there at a match when they have time and after they have shot the stage.

Consider that everyone wants to help; take advice with a grain of salt as if you ask 10 shooters, you will get 7 different answers.

Be safe.

Yeah, I definitely need to practice shooting the rifle at 100 and 300 yards and figure out my holding. Just knowing I have to shoot an inch or two lower at 100 and 8 to 10 inches higher at 300, didn't really work in practice.

I figure that and shooting pistol at longer distance are the two MAIN things I should work on to avoid timeouts.

The next one is in 2.5 weeks.

Knowing your optic holdovers can make or break a match. Once you get those nailed-down, and can execute on them, you'll have a significant advantage over many people at local matches.

There are 2 things in 3-gun matches that'll either propel you upwards or spiral you downwards in the standings; shotgun loading and long-range rifle. Generally, people that can excel at both of these will do well at matches.