Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Moving back to NC soon, would appreciate info.

First off not sure if this is the right place on the forum for this, please let me know/move it if need be

After 16 years away, it looks like I will be moving back to central NC later this year. along with all of the various other concerns related to such a change, I would like to gather as much information as I can about not only current USPSA clubs in the area but also suggestions for what gun clubs / ranges to look into possibly joining and what each provides in the way of various disciplines etc.

bear with me while I go through my thoughts here in the hopes that they help clarify what I hope to find...

• most likely will be moving back to the Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill area but not entirely sure yet, depends on where I find work.
  • I grew up in Durham (school years + 4), but I didn't do any competitive shooting of any sort until 18 months before I left. heck I never even bought a handgun while living there. in fact the only what you might call "Organized ranges" I ever visited were The Range in Oxford, at the time Mr. Glover offered memberships to folk to shoot there during times when the range wasn't set or in use for a match, and Sir Walter Gun Club in Creedmoor (once). so I don't know anything about what's out there and at what cost any more.
  • I'm looking for info on not only USPSA (and possibly IDPA) matches/clubs but also have interest in F-Class, CMP matches, and a little interest in Clay games. Also any info on the current gun laws etc would be helpful.
  • of course I want to know where the good Gun shops are too :)

anyway, that is what has been running through my mind for half the day. I'm sure something else will come to mind as well, if not of it's own accord then in response to the info you kind folk are able to provide. thank you in advance for any info you choose to share, it is always welcome.

Check out www.triangletactical.net. They have a shooting sports calendar on their site with all the area matches. We're lucky to have lots of matches in the area of many diciplines(USPSA, IDPA, 3-Gun, etc...)

Thanks Eric.

Yeah, the Triangle area is the Mecca for competitive shooting in the state. Tons of matches every weekend, USPSA, IDPA, 3-gun, etc.

• 2 months later...

Well, I've made the move.

and at this point I have a couple of shooting related items near the top of my "things to do as soon as I secure employment" list.

First where in the triangle area is the most likely/best place to find a decent selection of powders? Specifically pistol powders suitable for .45acp, W231, IMR 700X, etc.

2nd I still need to find an affordable place to shoot. Even if I can get on at The Range as of right now it would only serve my pistol related needs. The Rifle lane has been indefinitely closed due to some numbskull deciding that they would shoot a TV while said TV was sitting in the back of one of Frank's range-prop vehicles!!
All previous suggestions for range locations are being considered, just looking for all the input I can get. after paying less than $200 a year for over 10 years in texas, the local dues most places are a bit... I guess pause inducing is appropriate.

again thanks in advance for any advice etc.

First where in the triangle area is the most likely/best place to find a decent selection of powders? Specifically pistol powders suitable for .45acp, W231, IMR 700X, etc.

Check with the guys at Lucky 13 Bullets in Kernersville. They usually have a good selection of powder available.

• 2 years later...
3 hours ago, ty45955 said:

Any ranges, clubs, matches in the Eastern part of the state?

I live just south of the NC/Va line in Moyock and having trouble finding an IPSC/3G/PRS range

There was talk of a club starting in Moyock at Blackwater, (guy was in my Level1 RO class about a 1.5yrs ago that was gonna be part of it) but that was the last I heard anything about it. 

I called Blackwater - now Academi - and was transferred to a number that let me leave a message, but never  called me back.

I understand they don't have a range for civilian use.

There is a range listed in NSSF in Moyock, but it doesn't really exist.

C-2 over in Pungo is the best bet locally, but expensive and no bays to practice movement. A range near Hertford is available, but has a waiting list.

May be something in the Raleigh area.

31 minutes ago, ty45955 said:

I called Blackwater - now Academi - and was transferred to a number that let me leave a message, but never  called me back.

C-2 over in Pungo is the best bet locally, but expensive and no bays to practice movement. A range near Hertford is available, but has a waiting list.

In the Triangle area we've got a BUNCH of everything. 

Closer to you, there's Pitt County Wildlife Club who does USPSA and the occasional 3-gun match I believe. 

I think there's a USPSA match in Havelock too. 

I've got all the triangle stuff on my calendar at http://triangletactical.net/calendar and then there's the NC Section website at http://www.ncsection.org which has all the USPSA matches in the state.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/24/2017 at 6:40 PM, FlatFender said:

Closer to you, there's Pitt County Wildlife Club who does USPSA and the occasional 3-gun match I believe. 

I've got all the triangle stuff on my calendar at http://triangletactical.net/calendar and then there's the NC Section website at http://www.ncsection.org which has all the USPSA matches in the state.

On 7/24/2017 at 6:40 PM, FlatFender said:

II called Blackwater - now Academi - and was transferred to a number that let me leave a message, but never  called me back.

I'll try the links you posted and thanks.

• 11 months later...

Check out Woody's Rifle and Hunt Club http://whr.club/index.php, Carolina Guns and Gear is another great place to train that hold monthly 3gun and USPSA matches, Jason Byerly is the guy you want to talk to if you check out that place, http://www.carolinagun.com/range/. Sir Walter Raleigh is a favorite among people I know, and Pitt County isn't bad either. 

• 6 months later...
On 2/26/2019 at 2:50 PM, Mike21STI said:

Anything in the charlotte area?

Plenty of opportunities to shoot USPSA within an hour or so of Charlotte. 

Spartanburg Pratical shooters is the 1st and 4tn Sat 

Rowan Practical Shooters is the 2nd Sat

CGGR is the 3rd Saturday 

There are several others in the surrounding area as well if you’re interested. 

4 hours ago, hlpressley said:

Plenty of opportunities to shoot USPSA within an hour or so of Charlotte. 

Spartanburg Pratical shooters is the 1st and 4tn Sat 

Rowan Practical Shooters is the 2nd Sat

CGGR is the 3rd Saturday 

There are several others in the surrounding area as well if you’re interested. 

Thank you, I might be relocating so I was wondering how much better off I would be in the area.  Definitely more options than I have now!

2 hours ago, Mike21STI said:

Thank you, I might be relocating so I was wondering how much better off I would be in the area.  Definitely more options than I have now!

Some great matches here in the Carolinas. And a lot of them!