Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

NEEDED: Electronic digital scale for reloading

Lynyrd

Hello People, just started to get into the reloading mode today and my electronic scale starts to act up, could be basement temperature, the 2nd Dillion scale shot that I've own, no more, need a replacement ASAP!!! what are reloaders using out there, Brian E. shows a nice Digital scale not sure if they have them in stock, but ready to buy!! any input for you al would be helpful!! thx Leo

http://www.amazon.com/gp/r.html?C=1QHLNIJYB8AK&K=ACO7V02AQWM17&R=14VHIJR8NET3P&T=C&U=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2Fdp%2FB004EXPKJA%2Fref%3Dpe_385040_127541850_TE_item&A=EQ8FENCLOCX3VA0QSXIDQPVUWE0A&H=GI8AFF0JMSAUJD3TFYDAN16RNAKA

Go to this URL and look at this scale. I have also owned 2 Dillon and both are DRN, Bought one from Brian and its about to go any time now.
I bought this yesterday, and its delivered tomorrow. Several friends have it and love it.
JMHO
Ken
:cheers:

There is a Gem Pro 250 listed in the classifieds, for $100.00. It is on like page 5 now.

I like my Gem Pro 250 more than any other scale I have ever owned. It not only weighs in tenths of a grain but, 100th of a grain. Pricy, yes. But, I got tired of buying inexpensive scales every 2 years.

I have that Hornady scale shown in the URL..Works great for me. I have a few other small digital scales gathering dust in a drawer someplace, alongside a few balance beam scales. (OK, I'm an accumulator, buy reloading stuff when I find it at garage sales)

• 2 years later...

Need some help - Just got a Chargemaster and my 6.5 Creedmore groups went from .30 to over an MOA. 

I had done some work on the gun, so not sure the cause until today I loaded a few rds and double checked the powder wt. Should have been 42.0, but varied up to 42.4.

My charger sits on a bench about 4' from the upstairs AC return duct. Could this be the problem?

I've heard about stray air currents, but never had this experience.

I've got an older Dillon as well, has been rock solid.  I think it's 2 models back ;).  I also have a 1500 combo I use when building match loads.  Also a Dillon beam scale for confirmation on occasion.

On 8/9/2017 at 1:40 PM, ty45955 said:

Need some help - Just got a Chargemaster and my 6.5 Creedmore groups went from .30 to over an MOA. 

I had done some work on the gun, so not sure the cause until today I loaded a few rds and double checked the powder wt. Should have been 42.0, but varied up to 42.4.

My charger sits on a bench about 4' from the upstairs AC return duct. Could this be the problem?

I've heard about stray air currents, but never had this experience.

Yes but how stable is it ?  Can you put a check weight on it and have it stay steady for 30 min + ?

7 minutes ago, warpspeed said:

Yes but how stable is it ?  Can you put a check weight on it and have it stay steady for 30 min + ?

My Dillon won't do that. If I leave anything at all on the scale it drifts upward.

4 hours ago, RiggerJJ said:

A lot of the digital units have circutry that help keep them at tare (zero). If you leave weight on them they will drift because they are trying to zero...

Did not know that. Thanks

5 hours ago, RiggerJJ said:

A lot of the digital units have circutry that help keep them at tare (zero). If you leave weight on them they will drift because they are trying to zero...

... which is kind of funny if you think about it. Equipment that is supposed to tell you how much something weights eventually convinces itself that there's actually nothing there.

Wonder if it's related to the cheesy digital calipers that show drastically different results across a range of temperatures?

My Chargemaster was susceptible to the airflow from the central air inlet.

I checked it against my Lyman electronic scale with the AC not sucking air and it threw 10 loads at the setting I programmed.

I noticed that it will try to re-zero itself when the "wind is blowing" as mentioned above in this thread.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, Ratfink said:

Any reason why a beam scale wouldn't work as well or better? I'm not a fan of digital anything but that's just me.

Because trickling is a PITA!  Using something like IMR 4064 that doesn't meter well requires trickling to some degree.  That's where the electronic dispenser/scales have a big usability advantage.