Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

percentage of front sight focus vs target sight focus

3djedi

Out of curiosity what percent of targets do you suppose the typical upper class USPSA shooter focuses on the front sight during a COF? I guess the only way to say anything is to base it on your on shooting..... or by what you've heard others say about their own shooting. I

Since USPSA is such a speed based sport, and shifting focus to the front sight is slower, I would guess that a large percentage would be target focused but I could be way off........

I think I heard Ben stoeger say that as much as 80% of his shooting is target focused..... but I could be wrong again...lol

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Depends on how far away the targets are and how much of the target is covered by a no shoot or hard cover. When I visualize the course of fire and establish a cadence for my shooting I determine just how much time will be focused on the sights and when it needs to shift. If there's lots of no shoots and cover and the targets are out past 12 yards it'll be a more methodical stage. If the targets are closer and unobstructed it's a Hoser stage where I have a vague idea of the sights and am focusing on acquiring targets as quickly as possible.

Since USPSA is such a speed based sport, and shifting focus to the front sight is slower, I would guess that a large percentage would be target focused but I could be way off........

It doesn't need to be as slow as you might think. On draws and transitions I'm starting to bring my focus into where the front sight will be before it actually gets there. I'd guess that on most open targets 10y and further i get a pretty clear focus on the front sight. I have found that so far, if i am focused on the target, I have a LOT less awareness of my sight alignment, so I can really only get away with it on closer targets where the sights can be pretty haphazardly aligned and still get A's.

totally dependent on stage design .... hoser stages where everything is inside of 12 yds and most "upper class shooters" (what exactly is an upper class shooter?) are shooting with a target focus but change that to 20 yd US poppers and 15 yd partials and head shots and most probably need to be on the front sight to make good shots ...

If you don't watch the front sight, how do you know what its doing and consequently, where the bullet went?

When I make a conscious effort to focus on the front sight (sad I still have to tell myself to do it here and there) I notice a vast improvement in my scores vs when I target focus. Yes, at point blank targets or very close, I usually don't need much to hit the A zone.

"Acceptable sight picture" is the key phrase. At 3 yards, wide open target some part of my gun covering brown is usually acceptable. At further distances, I need to see the front sight blade clearly.

Not an upper class shooter but out to 10 yards or so I find myself being almost completely target oriented, the FO is just a blur. I think this comes from my years of clay shooting where if you looked at the gun instead of the target you missed.

I think I heard Ben Stoeger say that 80% of his shooting is target focused..... but I could be wrong

I'm NOT saying that you're wrong, but I can't imagine Ben saying that???

Maybe he'll chip in here and let us know. :cheers:

I found what he said and where he said. It's in his podcast named "unsighted?" and he says it around the 8:00 mark. He says 80% of the shots at a match are unsighted. And unsighted was defined as a non front sight focus shot.

of course it would all depend on the type of targets and distance. But it would be very interesting to me to know which targets an upper class shooter (A, M, GM) focuses on the front sight and which ones were target focused. Even more interest in a shooter at the level of Ben stoeger.

Ben's not the only one. I saw a video with Leatham and he too said he put more focus on the target. I'm a rookie shooter and I find more concentration on my front sight gets me more A's, primarily at distance. Like the others, at close distance, hoser stages, i see the sight but the target is my primary focus. I agree too the stage will probably be the deciding factor.

Depends on how far away the targets are and how much of the target is covered by a no shoot or hard cover. When I visualize the course of fire and establish a cadence for my shooting I determine just how much time will be focused on the sights and when it needs to shift. If there's lots of no shoots and cover and the targets are out past 12 yards it'll be a more methodical stage. If the targets are closer and unobstructed it's a Hoser stage where I have a vague idea of the sights and am focusing on acquiring targets as quickly as possible.

This ^^^^

I think I need to spend more time planning and visualizing. I think it would help predetermining which targets to use front sight focus. I have a tendency of going "full retard" at the buzzer....... Lol.....

100% target focus, any distance. I try to always see my sights

Interesting...... So you just look through the blurry sights and focus on target? Or do you mean 100% front sight focus?

Do you mind sharing your current class attained? (D,c,b,a, etc.)

Interesting...... So you just look through the blurry sights and focus on target? Or do you mean 100% front sight focus?

I look thru my sights when fairly close. I line up my sights when I need to, 20y out. They are blurry, the target is sharp. For my eyes, If I focus on the front sight, I lose the target, especially if it is small.

GM

For a shot like this. shotgun shell 25y. If I focus on the front sight, I have no idea where the shotgun shell is, can't hit it, if I can't see it. With a target focus I can see the shell.

I look thru my sights when fairly close. I line up my sights when I need to, 20y out. They are blurry, the target is sharp. For my eyes, If I focus on the front sight, I lose the target, especially if it is small.

GM

For a shot like this. shotgun shell 25y. If I focus on the front sight, I have no idea where the shotgun shell is, can't hit it, if I can't see it. With a target focus I can see the shell.

This is true of me too. If I focus to hard on the sights on targets at distance the target gets blurry.

Do you guys shoot one or both eyes open?

I find that if I shoot one eye open I can see both target and front sight fairly clearly at the same time.... With both open I can only see one or the other clearly.

totally dependent on stage design .... hoser stages where everything is inside of 12 yds and most "upper class shooters" (what exactly is an upper class shooter?) are shooting with a target focus but change that to 20 yd US poppers and 15 yd partials and head shots and most probably need to be on the front sight to make good shots ...

:roflol: I am a member of the drinking class.........

Frank Proctor just had a good article on this here's the link.

http://soldiersystems.net/2015/02/14/gunfighter-moment-frank-proctor-13/

Good find CrazyGiant!

This guy in the comment below Proctor's article, said what I have not been able to put into words. Excellent!

This will now become my description of how I aim in USPSA iron sight competition shooting.

David says:

February 15, 2015 at 04:44

I strongly agree with Proctor regarding a less emphatic theory of front sight focus. Most people should be able to optically focus their eyes on the target and still have enough visual data regarding the alignment of the front and rear sights to make very accurate shots.

That said, I emphasize mental focus on the sights; you can optically focus on the target (target is clear, sights are fuzzy), but you need to mentally focus on the sights to consistently get solid hits. I call this “cross focus”....

Not me. BUT I long ago changed my STI Edge sights to Brazzo's "Manny Dot" sights, which Bob created with/for Manny Bragg. They are WAY tighter and smaller than anything Proctor was discussing, and I feel make it almost an "unfair" advantage over others without them. :bow:

They significantly help on difficult shots, and I do not feel they slow down fast shots on easy targets at all. Shot over 100 matches with them and 100K rounds, and cannot imagine ever changing.

"Designed in collaboration with USPSA Champion Emanuel "Manny" Bragg, the MannyDot offers the brightest fiber optic sight with the narrowest post. The top of the post is a narrow 0.070" wide. It then flares down to 0.100" wide at the base to provide added strength. The fiber optic is recessed behind this serrated post to create a precise 0.040" diameter dot which is located as close to the top of the post as possible, thus, allowing you to use the dot as an aiming point. The MannyDot pairs especially well with the Wilson adjustable rear sight with the 0.090" wide notch...

http://www.1911store.com/lightningrodmicrodotstisv-2.aspx