Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Revelation

Onepocket

For a couple of years I was always focused on the sights. I'm left eye dominat right handed and went through a ton of different trials on what to do. I have settled on tape on my shooting glasses. My point long winded, is that I have found in my humble opinion "the truth". It's all about the trigger finger. Front sight, target focus, point shooting on a giant A-zone is easy to hit at high speed as long as you have a clean trigger pull. I think most misses are lack of

Trigger control and not sight alignment. Thoughts?

Edited by Onepocket

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If you can't observe the displacement of the sights during a poorly executed trigger pull then that is a bigger problem.

Most shooters stay observant of the sights until they decide to pull the trigger, then they turn their brain off as they start to pull the trigger and it remains off until the BOOOM event is over with. Even if you execute a good trigger pull, and your on target hit ends up where its intended, not being able to observe what is going on with the sights AS the shot is firing is a major issue that needs to be fixed.

Observing the sights as the shot fires allows you to call the shot immediately and start doing the "Next" thing as soon as possible.

When I played pool for years there was always the talk do you look at the cue ball or object ball when you stroke the cue. Most pros look at the object balls, however there are a few top level pros that focus on the cueball. As long as you don't move at all after you are lined up it really don't matter. Is shooting the same?

You need to stop thinking about seeing the sights as a road block that is slower than looking at the targets and point shooting. You can see way faster than you can shoot. You simply have to stay visually observant. Once you realize that there is no reason to NOT be observing the sights at all times.

This game is about getting your hits in the least amount of time. You can confirm your hits by calling the shot while observing the sights or looking for holes in the target after the shot happens. Looking for holes to appear in targets while you point shoot at them is a very time wasting process. Mainly because you can't start doing the next thing (break the next shot, transition to the next target, leave the position, start a reload, etc) until you have confirmed your hit is there by looking at the target. When you are pausing to look for holes in the target, I am long gone already doing the next thing because I already know my hits are there because the sights told me so while i was firing the shots.

I also want to point out that your over confidence in shooting "A's all day long" while point shooting close targets is probably not as "Solid" as you think it is. If you shoot 100 rounds worth of 7 yard fast shooting drills using point shooting vs observing the sights I think you will be shocked at how much better the overall hit quality is when you are observing the sights. Using your sights forces you to actually aim at something, verses blasting at brown while point shooting.

I never practice close up spray work and don't look for holes in targets. All of my practice is at distance with hard cover and no shoots. Maybe to force myself to look at the front sight.??? Shooting for me is a constant learning process and I think every target array deserves its own type of sight picture. I experiment with front sight focus and target focus at distance 25-50 yards. It has taught me a lot, but mostly that my finger is more important than what type of sight focus I'm using.

If you want to learn how important shot calling is to action shooting take up Steel Challenge. you will never be even remotely competitive if you can't call your shots. while you are waiting for the visual or aural conformation that you hit plate #1 i've already transitioned on to plate 2 and the top shooters in the world are usually transitioning to plate 3. target focus or point shooting won't help you go faster if you don't know where your shot went at the instant you broke the shot becuase you didn't observe it ...

Why do you think that I am waiting for the hit or looking for holes when I point shoot? When you go into a port when everything is close together and two feet in front of you do you see your sights or hits? (I don't) I'm just saying some people can get away with doing it at a further distance. And I shoot steel challenge, not bragging but I have not lost a match in four years. I beat most open (A) shooters with my production rig. I point shoot about half of the stages. This thread is getting off topic I just wanted to help some newer shooters pay more attention to the trigger finger.

I think different people shoot differently. It doesn't take me any longer to look at the front sight, but it does take a little more attention.

I think individual shooters need to figure out where their problem is, and fix it. It might not be the same place as onepocket's problem, or cha-lee's problem, but their experiences and solutions can still be helpful.

I think different people shoot differently. It doesn't take me any longer to look at the front sight, but it does take a little more attention.

I think individual shooters need to figure out where their problem is, and fix it. It might not be the same place as onepocket's problem, or cha-lee's problem, but their experiences and solutions can still be helpful.

Such a chill reply, someone hack your account?

See you at tomorrow's match, looking for a production optics gun to bring?

Edited by Ultimo-Hombre

You need to stop thinking about seeing the sights as a road block that is slower than looking at the targets and point shooting. You can see way faster than you can shoot. You simply have to stay visually observant. Once you realize that there is no reason to NOT be observing the sights at all times.

This game is about getting your hits in the least amount of time. You can confirm your hits by calling the shot while observing the sights or looking for holes in the target after the shot happens. Looking for holes to appear in targets while you point shoot at them is a very time wasting process. Mainly because you can't start doing the next thing (break the next shot, transition to the next target, leave the position, start a reload, etc) until you have confirmed your hit is there by looking at the target. When you are pausing to look for holes in the target, I am long gone already doing the next thing because I already know my hits are there because the sights told me so while i was firing the shots.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

For a couple of years I was always focused on the sights. I'm left eye dominat right handed and went through a ton of different trials on what to do. I have settled on tape on my shooting glasses. My point long winded, is that I have found in my humble opinion "the truth". It's all about the trigger finger. Front sight, target focus, point shooting on a giant A-zone is easy to hit at high speed as long as you have a clean trigger pull. I think most misses are lack of

Trigger control and not sight alignment. Thoughts?

thanks for the post Onepocket .... I got it.

and I believe this is 100% accurate: "The trigger is an eraser". You can have everything right; stance, grip, sight picture, sight alignment and the trigger pull can/will erase all that you've done right up to that point."

Why do you think that I am waiting for the hit or looking for holes when I point shoot? When you go into a port when everything is close together and two feet in front of you do you see your sights or hits? (I don't) I'm just saying some people can get away with doing it at a further distance. And I shoot steel challenge, not bragging but I have not lost a match in four years. I beat most open (A) shooters with my production rig. I point shoot about half of the stages. This thread is getting off topic I just wanted to help some newer shooters pay more attention to the trigger finger.

most define point shooting as not executing an aimed shot. every shot i take is aimed, it may be a hard front sight focus or just the muzzle of the gun with the outline of the sights but i'm always aiming. as for beating A class open shooters with your Production rig I'll assume you are a GM. I can tell you here in the 2 years where I shoot no Production shooter has ever beaten a real A class open shooter ...

USPSA for almost two years now, only an A class shooter. Started with steel challenge four years ago in open rimfire then was forced to switch to production. (.22 shortage). Steel challenge is a different animal I have seen a lot of really good USPSA shooters get crushed by a steel match. Anyone here ever shoot much shotgun? Clays? What are you looking at. I'm not telling anyone to point shoot every shot I'm just saying it is an option at times. I'm still and always will be in the learning process so contact me in ten years and see if I still feel the same way.

i guess we just have different definitions ... where I shoot 'really good shooters' (A/M) don't get crushed by anyone except legitimte GMs ... that's why they are really good shooters ... Steel Challenge is not really a different animal then IPSC or IDPA ... you need exceptional stand and shoot skills ... fast draw, fast transitions & never miss .... just like any A or above shooter should have

I beat most open (A) shooters with my production rig.

I can tell you here in the 2 years where I shoot no Production shooter has ever beaten a real A class open shooter ...

I've been shooting Limited the last couple years but in 2012 at the Steel Nationals I shot my Production gun. Guy right below me was an Open M, a couple more below him was another Open M and I'm sure a few A Open shooters. I'm not going to check everyones classification, but you get the idea.

As far as front sight or target focus, basic definition of calling your shot is "knowing". Vision is the primary intuit for that...but not the only one. Some shooters have the ability to shoot by kinesthetical awareness. Think Taran Butler cleaning a plate rack from the hip.

Edited by Kali

Not only did Taran do it from the hip but beat a world champion at the rack. Steel and USPSA are apples and oranges, different worlds. I would hope this thread will get back on topic about that crazy trigger finger. Sight the gun how you want, I could care less.