Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock 17 build for 9major

Dusting17

Lonewolf barrel, carver 4 port comp, sjc 90 degree mount and aftermarket trigger is what i have on mine. I wouldnt buy the kits, you can piece it together cheaper. Also, an uncaptured guide rod and 15 lb spring are needed to handle major, or atleast thats what im using.

My gun:

Gen 3 Glock 17 with a gunsmith fit KKM barrel (no longer offered - just drop in these days), Beven Grams bulletproofed Docter sight slide mounted on an EGW mount, Jager 4 port aluminum comp, Vanek super trigger, Jager striker, SJC heavy magwell, Tactical Depot slide racker, Wolff uncaptured steel guide rod and a 14 lb Wolff recoil spring.

Almost all open guns will break something eventually. It is the nature of the beast with the higher velocities and pressures we run. All you can do is put it together with quality parts and keep a good handle on preventive maintenance. The better fit the gun, the better it will stand up over time. A good fitting barrel makes a world of difference both in accuracy and in taking stress off the gun with the major round. Many people run lighter recoil springs (like 11 lb), but I think the 14 lb'er is less stressful on the gun - not as much battering. The aluminum comps on Glocks wear out faster than steel, but most steel comps are too heavy out on the end of the barrel and can effect cycling. Some like 115 grain bullets for 9 major, but I shoot 124's and 125's because I like them and think they are overall less stressful on the gun - a point of some debate though. Opinions vary - mine is just one.

hey, don't think 2011's don't break shooting major pf loads. I've seen plenty of 2011's even top brands/smiths with cracked comp, cracked slide, broken grips, rolled barrel lugs, broken extractor etc etc. The list goes on. Nothing is build it and shoot it forever. All the parts are consumable up to a point even the frame and slide on a 2011. just some of the parts last longer than others. An open glock can be made reliable and run well. Will stuff break or wear? probably.

When I was shooting glock 9 maj extensively I broke 2 sjc 11port comps, cracked on the same portion; 3 Carver trigger pins, an aftermarket part that comes with and integral to the mount; 3 CMore STS micro dots; 2 Aimpoint H1/R1 micro dots. None on any part of the Glock pistol. All in a span of a little more than a yr.

Eta. KKM barrel, Vanek ttigger, Glock 17 gen. 3

Edited by BoyGlock

They all break and wear. Been shoot'n my 34 home built for 3 years now, c-more, sideways mount, KKM, 124gr, is best, IMO......Crack'ed the stock slide inhafe, a baffle strike, triger springs broke.. stuff happens. I'm just shoot'n for the fun, Glocks the cheapest way too.. Shoot'n Open is the most fun.

post-51591-0-91872500-1423587722_thumb.j

Thanks every1.. I have my mind set on the Glock 17 with kkm barrel, carver 4 port comp, pyramid Ultimate trigger system, Tti mag ext, zev heavy mag well, zev extended mag release, zev Uncaptured guide rod, and for now a c-more until I save some cash for a zev slide with rmr cut and CW sights.

When I was shooting glock 9 maj extensively I broke 2 sjc 11port comps, cracked on the same portion; 3 Carver trigger pins, an aftermarket part that comes with and integral to the mount; 3 CMore STS micro dots; 2 Aimpoint H1/R1 micro dots. None on any part of the Glock pistol. All in a span of a little more than a yr.

In hindsight I should have shot it in 9 MINOR only and maybe spared myself all those woes. But then I wouldnt have any use for it in IPSC.

ok that is definitely way more breakage than the average 9 major tanfoglio/cz or 2011!!!

ok that is definitely way more breakage than the average 9 major tanfoglio/cz or 2011!!!

Indeed! It was the most frustrating period of my shooting. I almost gave up on shooting Open as it was my initial foray on the Div. What saved the day was when I decided to use a Slideride on my Carver mount and replaced the comp with Carver's too. Everything seemed to brighten up since then up until I decided to switch to 2011s more than a year ago.. Funny I still miss shooting my Open Glock til now. If only it canbe chambered in 38s....

Edit. Sorry for the drift

Edited by BoyGlock

Not so many parts broken over the last 6 years in 9 major: lightened striker (the nose broke off - the vertical piece at the back); (2) slide release springs; 2 or 3 Carver trigger screws for their optic mount; (3) trigger safeties - the center piece in the trigger, 2 from after market triggers and one stock Glock; battered extractor end on the extractor depressor plunger; tungsten safety plunger occasionally is nicked by the striker. Main is built on a Gen 3 frame, Caspian 34 slide, weighs 43 ounces w/o magazine. Back-up is a Gen 2 frame with a 17C slide and weighs 40 ounces. Lots of enhancements and both run. They key is the comp and recoil spring(s), along with the right powder, of course. Use 124 gr Bayou and HS-6. Worked on many open Glocks to get them to run. Have seen at least two 2011's with cracked slides that were using 115 gr and one that was using 124's. Whoever suggested the chrono is right on; otherwise, you are working in the dark. Mandatory first step to getting an open gun to run.

Thank you all for the help with the build.. I was told the Glock wont hold up to the power of the major round over time.. I guess what I'm getting at is what parts fail due to long term use of the major round..

Completely disagree with this statement. I built a Glock 31 open gun in .357 sig and it ran like a top. The only issue I had seen is with the aluminium comp eroding in the first chamber which takes most of the blast. If I was going to build a 9 major I would just buy a ZEV slide with the optic mount milled into the slide and run a mini reddot on it. That way you have 2 guns in one. You can shoot Production and Limited with the standard slide and barrel combo and when you want to shoot open just swap slides and put your +10 mag extensions on your stock mags and you are ready to go.

• 4 weeks later...