Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm loads not fitting case guage

I've just got my 1050 set up about 1 month ago. I've been having some rounds not fitting case gauge. When it became more than a few I started checking to find out why. They are 70 percent one brand of brass CBC with most of the rest being WIN. Now I pulled a dozen CBC brass from my once fired box and examined the brass no obvious bulge. Then I ran that dozen brass through the Sizing and Decrimp station. All 12 fit case gauge nicely. Then I went and loaded all 12 with only 3 of 12 now fitting gauge.

The ones that don't fit there is a very distinct bulge where the base of the bullet is.

I'm using Montana gold bullets I check a few of them they were very consistent.

Any suggestions?

Thank you,

Bill

You should be seeing an hourglass type shape. You can see the bulge where the bottom of the bullet is. The bulge should be consistent 360. If not, then the seating die is off. You may be also be over crimping. Pull the crimp die and reset slowly until all the flare is out. Keep checking the case gauge till it just fits. Different head stamps have different brass lengths. This can cause inconstant crimp.

You should be seeing an hourglass type shape. You can see the bulge where the bottom of the bullet is. The bulge should be consistent 360. If not, then the seating die is off. You may be also be over crimping. Pull the crimp die and reset slowly until all the flare is out. Keep checking the case gauge till it just fits. Different head stamps have different brass lengths. This can cause inconstant crimp.

Off how? I get these occaisionally

The die may be loose , some misalignment on the shell plate, or using the wrong seating stem can cause the bullet to be off center . Can you show a picture of the bulge you are talking about?

To long of an o.a.l. will not let them go all the way in with some bullet profiles and so will to little crimp when not completely removing the belling from the powder funnel. You should be able to feel that with your finger.

I have been throwing all those CBC cases in my brass scrap bucket. I have a 550 and when the case goes into the powder station the flaring tool sticks in the case and I have to push up on the handle HARD to dislodge it. Those cases appear to be a lot harder material than others. probably less brass in them.

CBC brass hits my scrap bucket. I run fat .358 lead bullets and CBC and Tula (brass) always bulges so bad it won't even come close to chambering.

I've just started looking at all of my range pickups before cleaning and just tossing the CBC away.

Uh.....I hate to ask, but do they fit your barrel.....Do they chamber and shoot regardless of the gauge? If so, you can use them for practice.

What is your OAL and crimp. Which bullet. Several variables but CBC brass loads just fine and shoots no different than any other brass, plus it doesn't have the tight primer pocket like S&B ( which doesn't mean much since you have a 1050.....lol).

We are here to help....

DougC

I've been using the Dillon case gauge. It's a little tighter than my chamber so I pull those out for practice.

I have the crimp at .377, and length at 1.085. Perhaps a little long, but not the reason they won't fit gauge.

Edited by Bill M

I do not think that is enough crimp. most 9mm brass is 10 to 11 thou. plus the .355 bullet diameter and that is without a squeeze. Mine are set to .377 measured on Remington brass with a 124 Hornady flat point. If I pull a bullet I can see a touch of squeeze right at the case mouth only. This does not effect accuracy at all when in the middle of the parallel section on the bullet. My crimp is set the same on all jacketed bullets I load Montana Gold in .45 and .40, Hornady in .355. My guns are absolute tack drivers at 25 in irons and 50 in open.

I recently started loading .40 with my first set of Dillon dies I have used and I was surprised how much I had to move the crimp die after the flair was closed. Way more than I was used to and it was just like your picture when I was trying the EGW gage as I went. Nothing wrong with the die however I did a lot of moving to get it there.

Edited by Build4u

I do not think that is enough crimp

As other have said, well known issue with CBC brass due to thickness of walls, in combination with a square base bullet. Makes seating them straight all but impossible and a slight variation causes too much bulge to chamber. Went through this with CBC and Zero bullets. Now CBC & Aguila go to the trash can. Crimp issues would effect all brass equally.

I guess try to add a little more crimp on the cbc and try that. You might also lengthen out the OAL a little so it still fits in your mags and see if that helps. If you are not putting the bullet in the case straight up and it kicks out to the side it will cause that too.

Good luck,

DougC

I do not think that is enough crimp

As other have said, well known issue with CBC brass due to thickness of walls, in combination with a square base bullet. Makes seating them straight all but impossible and a slight variation causes too much bulge to chamber. Went through this with CBC and Zero bullets. Now CBC & Aguila go to the trash can. Crimp issues would effect all brass equally.

Also add S&B and Ammoland brass that will not case gauge with Zero 147. I really do hate head stamp sorting, but I know find it a necessary evil and will do it. Also, don't forget about crimped primer pocket brass that needs to be sorted out also if using a 650. Ugh.......

A small nit, but it is ammoload brass, not ammoLAND. Also brass stamped IMT or IMI is the same stuff.

I have brass with the head stamp ammoland. I also have brass with the head stamp IMI. I am not using either.

Mine is all ammoload and imt

ed0163a7e8f2604c8a4d8f848bbb21e1.jpg

ed4cc6b53e5dfc7ee750f39bd15d300b.jpg

OOOOOpppssssssssssss...................You are right.............without looking closely, I thought the T was an I.................thanks for the catch. However, when looking up head stamp codes, I do not find a listing for IMT..........hmmmm

Edited by mjohn