Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Exercise for arm strength (support hand and dom hand)

Masada

If you go down about 5 threads in this section you will find a "Cure for tennis elbow thread". Post 22 is mine and has a link to a you tube video with some exercises. In addition to helping with tennis elbow doing those 4 exercises will also help with your forearm and grip strength. I do them several times a week.

• 2 weeks later...

For forearm and grip strength, deadlifts are a great way to do so. Deadlifts will also strengthen your lower back and core giving you a more stable stance! I honestly think my gym membership has been the most helpful purchase for all of my hobbies. Cheers!

If you go down about 5 threads in this section you will find a "Cure for tennis elbow thread". Post 22 is mine and has a link to a you tube video with some exercises. In addition to helping with tennis elbow doing those 4 exercises will also help with your forearm and grip strength. I do them several times a week.

This is what I do. Between that and daily dryfire, (and a decade or so of dirtbiking) i have plenty of grip strength. I grip hard enough in my daily dryfire that my hands get pretty tired by the end.

"If you can do a sub 7 minute Fran you will have all the grip strength you ever need for pistol shooting." What is this ?

"Fran" is a cross fit standard. Think of it as a classifier for fitness. I'm on my phone or I'd link it. Search google or YouTube for "Fran, WOD".

"If you can do a sub 7 minute Fran you will have all the grip strength you ever need for pistol shooting." What is this ?

"Fran" is a cross fit standard. Think of it as a classifier for fitness. I'm on my phone or I'd link it. Search google or YouTube for "Fran, WOD".
"Classifier for cross fit" that's actually pretty true.

Fran is:

21 reps of 95lb thruster ( a front squat with a barbell then overhead push press all in one motion)

21 pull-ups

15 95 lb thrusters

15 pull ups

9 95 lb thrusters

9 pull-ups

No rest, as fast as possible. Usually leads to "Fran cough" which lasts 4 to 6 hours, some sort of flash pulmonary edema or something.

We do it monthly at work for benchmarks. Forearms get pretty wrecked. Other fitness benefits not withstanding, builds grip strength adequate for pistol shooting.

Edited by Ultimo-Hombre

I also have a wrist strengthening exercise I do. I take a sledgehammer hold the handle and have the head behind me. I have my hand at my side while holding the sledgehammer handle. I then rotate my wrist down against the weight of the head in the rear. As you get stronger just hold the handle further away from the head.

• 3 weeks later...

I agree with what the others have posted, I do a lot of pullups myself. I might also add hanging leg raises in large sets - having to hold your bodyweight with your arms for a long time, especially in a tensed position, will give you just about all the grip you need. I normally do a pullup, then hold at the top of the rep for 4 sets of 13 raises.

• 1 month later...

Another method is to take a foot long wooden dowel or PVC pipe. Drill a hole in the middle and attach a rope. Then take a 5-10lb weight and tie it to the end of the rope. Hold on to the dowel/pope, and try to roll the rope with the weight up. Will burn.

• 4 weeks later...

Like others have said, and as I have in the past, Captains of Crush can not be beat. Flat out in possible.

Barring that do:

Farmers walks

Shrugs

Dead Lifts

Cable Rope Curls

Rope Flailing or what it's called when you move a rope up and down

Hell ANY HEAVY pulling Excersize

What I call double curls. Curl a dumbbell, then twist at the top for a reverse curl on the way down.

Take two weight plates and pinch them between your thumb and the other fingers as long as you can.

Buddy I know who played in the show for 6 years for the Royals said the trainers used big barrels of rice for grip training. Go elbow deep into the rice open and close your fist till you can't anymore for a couple of sets each arm. Said it was brutal but worked.