Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Most of the reload is with your weak hand.

On 1/22/2016 at 11:30 AM, pointerman1967 said:

TXpastorbob,

Need to rotate the hand as you are inserting the mag. You start the reload by indexing the mag into the pistol and then rotate your wrist to end with your palm driving the mag into the magwell. Sorry if I am stating something obvious, but if you aren't getting the palm smack in at the end and just relying on fingers that may be your problem.

If you are doing that and still having issues it might be that your fully loaded mags are really tight. If you can, get a base pad that adds a bit more room to your mags so they aren't so tight and that will also make reloads easier.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
On 3 January 2015 at 10:14 AM, Glock26Toter said:

Something that helped me greatly with reloads was part of a Charlie Perez class. Learning some ways to improve the reload he pointed out that you have to consistently and very quickly snatch your magazine from your pouch and bring it to where you're going to reload.

Before that I was more worried about keeping the gun up, and dropping the magazine, and secondarily was like "oh yeah, and grabbing a new mag too."

For me, once I changed my focus to the LEFT HAND quickly snatching the new mag and bringing it up to the reload area it all made sense. Now the right hand drops the mag and pulls the gun back to the parking position for reloading more automatically, faster and a lot higher than before.

It makes sense if you think about the actions involved. 

While your strong hand moves backwards about 8 inches and rotates your weak hand needs to travel about 24 inches to your belt to retrieve the mag and another 24 inches back, so your weak hand needs to move about 6 times the distance your  strong hand moves. 

• 3 weeks later...

Focusing on you weak hand with regard to what your body is doing is very helpful in speeding things up.

Along with that, your eyes will be looking at... something. What do you look at?

A tip I picked up from 'Not That Bryan' over on Doodie I believe it was, is to watch the mag fall out of the gun. If your eyes are there that early you miss the mag insertion MUCH less often.

Edited by MemphisMechanic