Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Took my wife shooting for the first time

jeremy kemlo

My friend and I took our wives to a Rimfire steel match today. This was my wife's first time to shoot a match and only her second time to shoot a pistol. After the match we (guys) were shooting at an 18 by 24 sillouette out at 120 yards. I loaded up the 22/45 (with cmore) for my wife and said she should try and hit the poppers at the back of the bay-about 30 yards. She asked about the one at 120 yards. I said that she could try but it would be pretty hard. She proceeded to go 3 for 3. Then turns to the 12"x18" at 100 yards and went 2 for 2 (unsupported)! The girl has got skills.

That is awesome! My wife is way more accurate than I am, and has done similar things to me.

Way to get her started right, and with great results. I see too many people (not members here) that just go with the biggest pistol they can and hand it to their signifigant other, and wonder why they don't ever want to go shooting again.

Oh-oh,

well, it´s a great thing to bring your wife to shoot, but if she´s going to perform better than you, there is a line in the sand....

:angry2:

:roflol:

Yeah - she did say that she wasn't that impressed anymore that I had hit them. :( Edited by jeremy kemlo

• 6 months later...

Excellent shooting on her part! I wish I could get my wife to come to the range with me, maybe a similarly set up .22 would do the trick? Now you better step up your dry fire and practice game or you will never hear the end of it.

Well done for her! Kudos to both of you for being involved in the shooting sports together. Although I'm more consistently accurate than my wife with both pistol and rifle, I've been shooting WAY longer than she has. It won't be long until she is better than me. Several instructor friends of mine have said that, overall, women are better shooters than men because they are willing to listen to instruction and let the ego to :roflol:

My wife has no idea but I picked up an XDm 9 for her bday for her.... I mean I may shoot it if I wan to play in production again haha. Got a great price on it hope she is as excited about it.

She is shy, I wan our local club would do a women's squad or something.

• 5 months later...

Any of you have any tips or tricks on how to get your wife to shoot with you? Mine always says she will go with me but when it comes time she finds an excuse to not go or she will go like she intends to shoot but refuses once we get to the range. I would really like to get her more involved. Would sure make my life alot easier lol

• 10 months later...
  • 5 months later...

My girlfriend had never shot a gun before. I got her to shoot by stopping at a range on vacation after I had to endure a few hours of shopping. I walked up to the counter and bought her an hour lesson lol (I've always heard first introduction to firearms should never include a significant other). Apparently she cried a little bit after the first 3 rounds then refused to quit and put up the best qual target the instructors there had ever seen out of a first time shooter. About 1 inch 5 shot group with a glock 19 lol (4 clover-leafed and 1 flier). She wasn't sure she wanted to shoot again. About a week later my 22 suppressor finally got out of jail and I took her to the range to shoot. She was shooting dime sized targets at %100 at 10 yds with my cz455 and hitting them 80% of the time at 25 yds. She was getting frustrated she was missing them lol.

Not sure I should let her shoot my open gun at this point. . .

Edited by MHitchcock

People usually ask which gun to get for a petite woman....

My wife weighs 100 lbs on her best day, and doesn't like my

.22's, .38's or 9mm's any where near as much as my Colt

1911  .45 ACP.

She went to a man on man match few years ago, with my BHP,

and almost beat this poor gentleman, who looked bewildered

at the Little Woman's performance.    :) 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/29/2014 at 0:16 AM, jeremy kemlo said:

My friend and I took our wives to a Rimfire steel match today. This was my wife's first time to shoot a match and only her second time to shoot a pistol. After the match we (guys) were shooting at an 18 by 24 sillouette out at 120 yards. I loaded up the 22/45 (with cmore) for my wife and said she should try and hit the poppers at the back of the bay-about 30 yards. She asked about the one at 120 yards. I said that she could try but it would be pretty hard. She proceeded to go 3 for 3. Then turns to the 12"x18" at 100 yards and went 2 for 2 (unsupported)! The girl has got skills.

Thats awesome! My wife is way more accurate than I am. Probably has something to do with her being more patient and being able to pay attention to the sights...

keep her shooting

• 4 weeks later...

I tried for years to encourage my wife to shoot with me.  This encouragement consisted mainly of static target shooting to which she was indifferent.  Prior to a deployment she expressed interest in gaining more experience through trigger time since she would be the sole protector of our household/children while I was away.  Took her to the action pistol range at our club and began working on loading from a drawer, shooting multiple targets, and shooting on the move.  By the end of our first range session she was astounded at how much different action shooting is to target shooting.  Long story short, she is now the owner of my Glock 34, has ordered a Red Hill tiffany blue holster, and is beginning her foray into competitive shooting.  Prior to this change I would take our children shooting and she would stand on the sidelines, now she monitors them for safety and provides feedback when they have missteps...I love it when a plan comes together!

On 5/21/2017 at 2:58 AM, Hi-Power Jack said:

My wife weighs 100 lbs on her best day, and doesn't like my

.22's, .38's or 9mm's any where near as much as my Colt

1911  .45 ACP.

My female biz partner will shoot the 9mm I got her and then say hey...hand me your .45!  She's not afraid of anything and don't ever tell her she "can't do something". Women can be fiercely awesome.