Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

shotgun loading practice

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you decided to use loaded ammo pull the charging handle our to prevent you from accidentally loading it.

Otherwise brownells had some dummies that were made with real shot so they feel the same.

Edited by ziebart

I have the Carbon Arms dummy rounds. They are a good value for their intended use.

The following is from their website:

There are a few things to realize with Dummys in normal 12 gauge hulls.

1. They do not have an infinite life. We have had a few guys send a few back and the shells are completely destroyed. Chambering shotshells, of any kind, will only let them last so long, especially if your shotgun has any alignment issues.

2. Keep them clean. A few we got back were embedded with dirt, in the crimps and the hulls. Putting those in your tube or chamber, no wonder they were not feeding well.

3. Dummys are meant to practice loading primarily, not use for shooting drills and "dryfire" like snap caps. ALL of them will eventually have damage to the rim and primer if you use them in that manner.

We seal the crimp, but some gear maintenance, like inspecting the crimps once in a while, is a good idea. We seal them with a clear silicone, which you can easily redo. I have a set of 4 that have been loaded a lot, and they are still pristine, but I don't drop the firing pin on them nor do I chamber them.

I have been making dummy rounds using a cheap lee load all unit I bought for $40. However they didn't last as long so I use live rounds more often. I do just use them once or twice and move to the next box. Anything too far damaged goes into oven and under.

I would have to go back and check out the specifics but I made a few for my own use, practising with the coach gun, BUT they should be just fine for the VM also. I left the old primers in so if you want hammer fall protection, well start engineering! I used two lead bullets per round which were inserted into each end of a length of fuel hose. The length was such that it was only slightly snug for the crimp and the slight compression of the bullets in the rubber ends kept things stable and gave reasonable weight. Its great due to cutting some parts length to critical dimensions is not necessary.

The cost of these were almost non existent, for me, as these parts are from my normal reloading expendables in the gun and leather room. I use thet rubber hose for making a western holster tensioning devise BUT the hose is a cheap purchase for anyone shopping at Tractor Supply (or an auto supply store).

Common sense tells me that it would be no great feat for the laser target folks to develop a system by which we could practice our reloads with a laser unit that would also add dry fire targeting to the practice. If the pistols and rifles already have trigger reset systems to make this possible then shotguns could easily follow, no???

I think AP custom has made some dummies for loading practice. I use the older ones from Brownells and they've lasted pretty well over the years. Getting a little beat up and I'm thinking about replacing them soon. I've got a few friends that load shotgun and said they can make them. Just need to do it.

Rocky Patel's making some solid aluminum dummy rounds... They are weighted well, hard anodized, an have a plastic insert for primer. I'm not sure when they will be available, but it's in the works...

Edited by Headworked

I make mine on a lee press.

I use actual shot and wads. Currently I use shop paper towels in place of the gun powder. Eventually I think I will find something that I can dispense like gun powder on the press.

Crimp and then, with hot melt glue, seal the crimp and fill the primer hole

They last a while, though like mentioned, if you chamber them eventually the will fail.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

If you decided to use loaded ammo pull the charging handle our to prevent you from accidentally loading it.

Otherwise brownells had some dummies that were made with real shot so they feel the same.

Forgive my ignorance, how do you unload the tube on a shotgun without chambering and un chambering each round?

Forgive my ignorance, how do you unload the tube on a shotgun without chambering and un chambering each round?

Depends on the gun, on Stoegers and 1301's you can unload them by depressing the lifter and rocking back the bolt release and catching the rounds one at a time.

Keep in mind that practice loading live rounds will deform the shells slightly and could possibly cause you to have problems loading them during a match. Had a friend experience this because the shells weren't perfectly round anymore. So now we have some shells that we practice with but never use them during a match.

• 1 month later...

I just loaded myself a box of dummies on my PW-800.

Once fired Remmy Gun Club hulls, deprimed.

Remmy RXP wads with two 20ga. card wads hot glued to the wad base in lieu of powder.

Seated the wads & dropped in 1 1/8 oz #8 shot.

Crimped.

Sealed the crimps & filled the primer pockets with hot glue.