Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon Case lube

We've all seen the commercials with, "Wow I could have had a V8!", right? You know, where they hit the guy in the head as if to say, No lie Dips#!t!

Well, I have been using One Shot case lube for about 4 years because we all tout it as the bomb for lubing cases. I mean EVERYBODY, including me swore OS was the defacto best stuff out there! But I just happened to have a bottle of Dillon case lube on the shelf that I had never touched in all that time. For reasons unknown to me I decided to try it. WOW! I literally thought my sizing die had worked loose and was not sizing the cases at all! That stuff is amazing! I think I have bought my last can of one shot. I plan on ordering a case of the Dillon. The only question now is, Is the Dillon rapid polish better than nu finish? If it is as good as the lube I can't help but wonder if I should buy the split case......

Anyway, If you can get some Dillon case lube to try, do it!

Anybody else have a similar experience?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I use it for rifle, but use one shot for pistol. The reason I don't use it for pistol is because it seems like it would get grease on everything. I lube my rifle brass in one of those disposable turkey trays, and once I've resized them I put them in the tumbler. I know you're already tumbling, but with my 550 that would get in the case bin (not a big deal), then on the press handle, then in the dump bin. More stuff for me to clean than if I just use one shot.

Sarge, If my input still means anything, I use lanolin with alcohol mix and it's the best I've used. I believe it is the same thing that Dillon makes. I can make almost 40 ounces of lube for the price of 8 ounces of Dillon. Yes. It feels like you had already sized your brass. I can't speak to the Dillon polish. I use red powder jewelers rouge with a teaspoon of mineral spirits in a crushed walnut media. Brand new looking brass.

Sarge, If my input still means anything, I use lanolin with alcohol mix and it's the best I've used. I believe it is the same thing that Dillon makes. I can make almost 40 ounces of lube for the price of 8 ounces of Dillon. Yes. It feels like you had already sized your brass. I can't speak to the Dillon polish. I use red powder jewelers rouge with a teaspoon of mineral spirits in a crushed walnut media. Brand new looking brass.

Only certain lanolin and certain alcohol works properly if I'm reading the home made recipes correctly. All of that stuff has to be ordered from someplace? Where?

It has me wondering as well...I went looking for lanolin at Tractor supply online...lots of stuff that has lanolin in it, but no pure lanolin...so it got me wondering...I have some Red Wing Mink oil for waterproofing shoes...it has a high level of lanolin in it, along with silicone. ..I wonder if I melt some and put it in an alcohol solution if it will work...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LANOLIN-OIL-USP-GRADE-100-PURE-SKIN-HAIR-MOISTURIZING-8-OZ-/111453862543?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19f32afa8f

http://www.ebay.com/itm/32-oz-99-Isopropyl-Alcohol-950-mL-Biodiesel-Titration-/250413015405?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a4dc7616d

You use the 99% alcohol. Mixes better. Less water. Lanolin is insoluble in water. 8 ounses of lanolin and 32 ounses of alcohol . Mix at 1:8 or 9, lanolin to alcohol. Makes 4 nine ounce bottles with enough lanolin to make 4 more bottles. I have been using the same bottle now for a year. Oh yeah, warm the lanolin first. Makes it easier to make. Grumpy, not sure about the mink oil. I use pure stuff to keep it mixed well and dispensing well. I put it into empty pump spray bottles from the drug store.

Edited to say that when you spray the brass, the alcohol quickly evaporates and you are left with a very thin lanolin coat that is very slick.

I use both Dillon lube and polish. The only thing that works better is I'll use the Imperial Wax on my precision rifle stuff. I've only used the Dillon polish so I can't speak for the nu finish. I'll put about a capful with a tumbler full of brass and turn it in when I leave for work and its nice and shiny when I get home 9 hours later.

I use both Dillon lube and polish. The only thing that works better is I'll use the Imperial Wax on my precision rifle stuff. I've only used the Dillon polish so I can't speak for the nu finish. I'll put about a capful with a tumbler full of brass and turn it in when I leave for work and its nice and shiny when I get home 9 hours later.

9 hours? Holy crap! It hasn't been rubbed through by then? Mine goes into a corn cob/ walnut mix for about 1.5 hours and that's it.

It has me wondering as well...I went looking for lanolin at Tractor supply online...lots of stuff that has lanolin in it, but no pure lanolin...so it got me wondering...I have some Red Wing Mink oil for waterproofing shoes...it has a high level of lanolin in it, along with silicone. ..I wonder if I melt some and put it in an alcohol solution if it will work...

Use Red Wing Mink Oil to wipe my guns down. Brings the blue out in a blued gun. Living in the South helps slow rust. Also use it on plated pistols.

It has me wondering as well...I went looking for lanolin at Tractor supply online...lots of stuff that has lanolin in it, but no pure lanolin...so it got me wondering...I have some Red Wing Mink oil for waterproofing shoes...it has a high level of lanolin in it, along with silicone. ..I wonder if I melt some and put it in an alcohol solution if it will work...Use Red Wing Mink Oil to wipe my guns down. Brings the blue out in a blued gun. Living in the South helps slow rust. Also use it on plated pistols.

No kidding about the mink oil? Never thought of that. ..

We've all seen the commercials with, "Wow I could have had a V8!", right? You know, where they hit the guy in the head as if to say, No lie Dips#!t!

Well, I have been using One Shot case lube for about 4 years because we all tout it as the bomb for lubing cases. I mean EVERYBODY, including me swore OS was the defacto best stuff out there! But I just happened to have a bottle of Dillon case lube on the shelf that I had never touched in all that time. For reasons unknown to me I decided to try it. WOW! I literally thought my sizing die had worked loose and was not sizing the cases at all! That stuff is amazing! I think I have bought my last can of one shot. I plan on ordering a case of the Dillon. The only question now is, Is the Dillon rapid polish better than nu finish? If it is as good as the lube I can't help but wonder if I should buy the split case......

I used to use One Shot, but tried Dillon Case lube once. I haven't used anything else since. I clean with SS pins in a cement mixer and then dry the cases on towels. When they are dry, I squirt them with Dillon and shake them back and forth in the towel. I don't clean the lube off afterward and haven't had any problems. (9mm)

post-56380-0-41875000-1418845941_thumb.j

post-56380-0-61525400-1418845954_thumb.j

post-56380-0-14679500-1418845978_thumb.j

Just a touch of Petroleum Jelly works like a champ as case lube goes a long way. I use a Rubber Made 18 gt dishpan and mix with about 1,500

cases. Little goes a long way see it stringing on the powder die your using to much. Been working on my last two buck jar for about ten years

and have a third left.

I used to use One Shot, but tried Dillon Case lube once. I haven't used anything else since. I clean with SS pins in a cement mixer and then dry the cases on towels. When they are dry, I squirt them with Dillon and shake them back and forth in the towel. I don't clean the lube off afterward and haven't had any problems. (9mm)

What mixer is that? The 5 gallon bucket in the mixer is a great idea!

What mixer is that? The 5 gallon bucket in the mixer is a great idea!

It's a Harbor Freight 1.25 cu ft mixer. I always thought the label was hilarious. "Do not use for 2 part epoxy mix". I can just see the guy calling warranty wanting a replacement. :roflol:

post-56380-0-93578900-1418854364_thumb.j

Ha! I once tried to size and trim military 308 using OS, but decided very short into the process that that wasn't going to cut it.

Tried the Dillon lube and never looked back.

Yeah, One Shot DOES NOT work well on rifle brass

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I pick up my 99% alcohol @ my local Safeway for $3.80 & my pure lanolin @ a local health food store for $8.99.

My mix ratio is more like 13:1.

I based my ratio to match Dillion's color - feels identical on the 1050....

All poured In to a 32oz industrial spray bottle - no more sore trigger finger when doing large batches!

I make a 12 to 1 mix of denatured alcohol and liquid lanolin.

When ready to load, shake bootlegged DCL well.

Half way fill one of those large red Folgers coffee containers with empty cases.

Give the cases 1 or 2 spray shots of my brew. Dont over lube!

Cap the container, shake well for approx 10 seconds.

Dump lubed cases in a plastic tray, let dry for 5 or 10 mins.

Load.

Works perfect.

Liquid Lanolin is thick as honey. To make pouring easier, heat a container of water, to a boil. I typically heat a coffee cup of water in the microwave. Remove heated water from heat source. Place container of Liquid Lanolin in heated water. In less than 1 minute, it's thin enough to pour from bottle. Caution > DO NOT directly heat the container of Liquid Lanolin in a microwave, or any other type of heat source.

l_ec-1045.png

One Snot is trash.

Edited by WZ4I

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LANOLIN-OIL-USP-GRADE-100-PURE-SKIN-HAIR-MOISTURIZING-8-OZ-/111453862543?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19f32afa8f

http://www.ebay.com/itm/32-oz-99-Isopropyl-Alcohol-950-mL-Biodiesel-Titration-/250413015405?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a4dc7616d

You use the 99% alcohol. Mixes better. Less water. Lanolin is insoluble in water. 8 ounses of lanolin and 32 ounses of alcohol . Mix at 1:8 or 9, lanolin to alcohol. Makes 4 nine ounce bottles with enough lanolin to make 4 more bottles. I have been using the same bottle now for a year. Oh yeah, warm the lanolin first. Makes it easier to make. Grumpy, not sure about the mink oil. I use pure stuff to keep it mixed well and dispensing well. I put it into empty pump spray bottles from the drug store.

Edited to say that when you spray the brass, the alcohol quickly evaporates and you are left with a very thin lanolin coat that is very slick.

This. Once you use Liquid Lanolin and Iso Alky, 1:8 or 1:9 ratio, you won't use anything else.

I just use denatured alcohol from Lowes, HD or Wal Mart. Can't tell the difference from iso and I have to order the high 90% stuff anyway since it's impossible to find here. Much simpler to just run grab that when I need it, and it's handy to have around anyway.