Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best choke

bodene 5

What would be the best choke for my plain jane 870 express ? I used the mod last time broke a few clays but they had to be close would full be a better choice as I am just starting and tend to let them go for a bit before I squeeze the trigger . Any advice would be great

Hello: What game are you playing? Sounds like trap to me so a Modified choke will work great. A full choke has a smaller pattern so you may be less likely to hit the target. If you are shooting skeet use a Skeet. Sporting use the Modified or Improved Modified. The 3 choke rule I was told is Skeet, Light Modified and Improved Modified. That will cover all the games very well. I was also told if you can't hit it with a Improved Modified it is too far out there anyways--HeHe. Thanks, Eric

Hello: It couldn't be you missing, that is unheard of. I miss all the time, those hard rights and lefts and straights. Try the mod again and ask around the club about hold points and break points. I am sure guys will help you out if you ask. We all start in the same place. Thanks, Eric

I just got into trap two years ago and had been playing with choke selection.

If I shoot it before it starts to drop, I am using Light Modified. If I shoot it after it peaks and starts to drop, I am using mod or Improved mod.

You should be able to hit with modified almost all the way out. I would stick with Mod unless you want to buy a choke for shooting at the 27, then get Imp Mod.

I even shoot with Improved cylinder at the 16 yard line sometimes. So mod is fine for you for now.

Randy

Hello: Don't forget altitude and humidity come into play also. When I was in Albuquerque I actually used a skeet choke at the 16yd with a 1oz load. It worked if I was quick. If you shoot when it is still rising or at the apex then a modified is great even with 3/4oz loads. Thanks, Eric

I use an Improved Modified most of the time. Tried modified for a while but I seem to do better with an improved modified. If the handicap is 23 yds or further I switch to full, but that doesn't happen often on my team :)

mod will do all you need for practice. We will practice with full or turkey sometimes because if you can hit with the tight pattern in practice, when you compete you loosen it up and you will break more. practicing with full and competing with mod made a great difference in my scores.

mod will do all you need for practice. We will practice with full or turkey sometimes because if you can hit with the tight pattern in practice, when you compete you loosen it up and you will break more. practicing with full and competing with mod made a great difference in my scores.

+1.

I agree with the mod to start with. Are we talking about the oem rem chokes? I'm probably going to start a war here, but I've been very happy with Comp-N-Chokes. I've shot kicks, briley (still use diffusions in my 686 for skeet) and others, but i have to say the pattern is great.

Hello: Some of the factory Remington chokes are made by Briley. Unless you pattern them in your gun you won't know how good or bad they are. I have chokes by Briley, Beretta and Muller. All work well when checked on the patterning board with my loads. Just as a note Briley Diffusion chokes pattern like a IC at 21 yards. Thanks, Eric

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Mod is plenty of choke for the 16 YD line. On trap, as well as skeet the hold point is a big thing and can make them alot harder with a poor one or alot easier with a good hold point. Also do no try and aim and take forever when trying to get the perfect sight picture. On the rising targets a plain 870 will need to have the target covered up when its on the way up as its climbing and the field 870s are not ment to shoot high like one of the higher stock trap guns will Once it stats falling you need to lead it a little under the target.

• 1 year later...

Today, we all know that choke tubes are almost used for modern hunting and shooting sports. Waterfowl choke tubes are one of the best choke tubes as compared to other shotgun choke tubes. Waterfowl Choke Tube is a removable interior tube at the end of shotgun barrel that control the short dispersion.

• 1 month later...

Modified is fine for the 16 yard line. If you really want to improve you hold on the target and get more precise a full would be the way to go. Plus it's always great to see a smoked target instead of a chip, but a chip has saved me more then once.

To the OP, if you're waiting on birds in trap, you likely end up shooting over them as they have peaked or just started dropping when you finally get ready to shoot. As mentioned earlier, get on them quick while they are still rising at a steady rate. Swing up to the bird and break the shot as you cover him up and KEEP swinging through the shot. Also, keep your face/cheek on the stock; wood to wood. If you're raiaing your head to look at the bird, then this will also cause you to miss...

On 2/25/2017 at 7:23 AM, jimmymuller said:

Today, we all know that choke tubes are almost used for modern hunting and shooting sports. Waterfowl choke tubes are one of the best choke tubes as compared to other shotgun choke tubes. Waterfowl Choke Tube is a removable interior tube at the end of shotgun barrel that control the short dispersion.

what the heck is a waterfowl choke tube? is it somehow waterproof whereas regular choke tubes arent? LOL

I wouldn't use a modified choke in trap unless you are picking up the birds right out of the box. A good test is to set up a large piece of cardboard 40 yards from the firing line and fire a shot using the load you use and the choke you use. Then look to see if you have a dense pattern. If there are gaps that a clay can pass through, your choke is too open.

I used to shoot IM, and was thinking about switching to modified. I did this test and went to full and never looked back. Mod is good in the first shot barrel in doubles because you always know where the first shot will be and you can hit it fast.