Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

AR 22 quality?

Gakracker

I am currently looking at two makes of AR 22 uppers in pretty much the same format. One is by Tactical Solutions at $600, while the other is put out by DPMS and only runs $419. Both are in the flat top with floating forward hand guard versions. They both seem to have very high ratings with naturally a lot more users reporting back on the DPMS but also interested in other quality recommendations. Either way I plan to build a light weight lower to go with my selection. If anyone can add input/ideas to this please jump in.

I've been really happy with my AR-22 from Mark at Carbon Arms:

http://www.carbonarms.us/AR-15-Uppers-and-Parts/Carbon-Arms-AR-15-22LR-upper.html

Gets about 1 MOA within 100 yards, a little better if I use match ammo. Beyond 100, subsonic match ammo is really important to maintain 1 MOA.

It's easy to clean, and most importantly, it runs

Edited by ummm

Don't know about the quality of the specific uppers you mentioned, but I used a Taccom .22rf barrel and action insert to build a Franken-upper. That way I could use the same quadrail and charging handle as my match rifle so they would feel the same in my hands. Worked well out-of-the-box with mini-mags, after some minor tweaks I even got it cycling the cheap Remington bulk crap. Worth thinking about if you are using it as an understudy to your match gun instead of a plinking AR.

I recently put together a .22lr rifle (AR) to setup as a practice 3-gun rifle so I could take it to the indoor range and run some rifle drills with cheap .22lr ammo but now its also turned into a rimfire competition rifle for me. The cheaper ammo has been great and the rifle is setup just like my .223 AR15 with an AR15 lower so I get good practice in without shooting .223. What I did was get a complete CMMG .22lr upper. I replaced the plastic hand guard with an inexpensive UTG free float hand guard which looks terrific. I also got the better mag adapter which lets me use the awesome S&W .22lr magazines which are easy to load. I've had it on my Colt 6920 lower, but I just ordered a black friday PSA complete lower with stock which I will dedicate this .22 upper on and it will be ready to go. Watch all of this guy's videos on his .22 rifle setup, I basically did the same thing and it turned out great and reliable. A key to it is that better mag adapter in combo with the S&W mags…well worth the extra for the ultimate.

I bought a Taccom last year and it is great.

Me too. The Taccom guys are heavily involved in NSSF Rimfire(formerly Ruger Rimfire) and are really familiar with what works and doesn't with the platform. Note the changes they make to the conversion bolt: welded back plate, enhanced extractor and firing pin. Plus they came out with the reliability plug to assure the bolt is properly seated. I'm pretty sure they have the lightest upper - if that's what you're going after - as well as 3-gun analogs.

I installed a Taccom pistol upper on my AR pistol and it has been awesome. Next year I'm looking to get a Taccom Tracker upper to practice on my competition AR. Great products, great prices and great service. What more could you want?

I have saved all of your recommendations and thank you all for them. The Taccom Rifle version has really caught my attention. My youngest grandson turns 18 a week before Christmas so I am going to swap out my Chiappa 22 upper to a polymer lower and give that to him for his combo present. I also have a spare ultra light aluminum lower that I would like to try on a new ,22.

I'm thinking you might see them again in the near future.

I hope you are right ... I bug Ken at the Pro-AM every time I see him and he has been leading me to believe that for over 3 years..... I have a 22 Upper but I would like a better one....

I am currently looking at two makes of AR 22 uppers in pretty much the same format. One is by Tactical Solutions at $600, while the other is put out by DPMS and only runs $419. Both are in the flat top with floating forward hand guard versions. They both seem to have very high ratings with naturally a lot more users reporting back on the DPMS but also interested in other quality recommendations. Either way I plan to build a light weight lower to go with my selection. If anyone can add input/ideas to this please jump in.

You did say quality recommendations… I decided to go with the JP AR 22R upper (yes it's pricey and heavy) I'm half way through my 3rd Bucket of golden bullets (1400 rounds in each bucket and have had ONE FTGBang I'm having more fun with this gun than I want to admit and it's helped a great deal. The only Amo it didn't like was Winchester M22

I won a DPMS 22 Upper (the one with a standard carbine handguard) and it has been flawless as long as I run it on a lower without a Timney trigger in it. It functions fine with the Gieselle Super 3-Gun or mil-spec triggers, but I get light strikes for 1 in 25 rounds with the Timney. It has run 2 boxes of Winchester M-22 and some Federal and Winchester bulk with cleaning every 150-200 rounds or so. My wife has recently claimed it and it's parked on her lower with pink furniture. If I want to use it without taking two guns apart I have to choose from shooting a gun with a pink lower or suffering the occasional light strike.