Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Unusual Stoeger ejection failure and simple fix

openclassterror

Here is a nugget of info for Stoeger owners. We took a bunch of new shotguns to the range for test-fire today prior to shipping to their proud new owners, and one of the shotguns had consistent Fail-to-eject malfunctions from the get-go. Using Remington Gun Club 1-1/8oz loads, about 6 out of 8 rounds would hang up the empty in the ejection port. Same thing for 2 magazine loads. While I was inspecting it, I noticed that the magazine nut was loose ( about 3/4 turn from tight). Apparently, it had not been fully tightened during assembly. After ribbing my younger brother a little about the nut being loose, I tightened it up and gave it another go. Ran 100%. HMMMMM! Reloaded it and tried again. No failures. Mind you, this was the SAME BOX of ammo. Just to be sure, I ran another full box from the same lot through it, and no failures. A couple Estates to be sure (if it jams, it will be with Estates or Wally Winchesters). Zero problems.

So, the moral of the story is this: if your Stoeger develops sudden ejection problems and your extractor looks fine, CHECK THE MAG TUBE NUT to make sure the barrel is on tight!

Did you loosen the nut again to see if you could induce failures again?

Do you guys get a lot of Stoger Work? I have only played with one briefly, but there was one thing I did notice about the ejection. Now it might be just the one example, or maybe not. I'm going to p.m. you my number and if you want to chat about it we can.

No its not...."Get a Benelli" nor even "Get Benelli parts"! I don't have enough info to say for sure yet, that is why I gave Mr. TERROR a P.M. I'm sure they see far more "Stoegies" than I do. If what I saw and did was atypical, then I don't want to get folks changing things for no reason. If indeed it was a common deal, they get first shot at telling you all about it as a trade for the info.

Edited by kurtm

Loosening the nut made the failure come back immediately. We have worked on over 100 Stoeger M3000/3500s this year, and have not seen any consistent weak points. There was one that had extraction/ ejection issues from day one, and two that had trigger doubling issues out of the box. My son's Stoeger had a problem where manually depressing the shell release would not drop a shell onto the carrier unless you retracted the bolt slightly and let it slap forward, but it never failed to feed and cycle while firing. I replaced the shell latch and the problem went away. We have noticed consistently that the recoil spring has a burr on the end which drags on the outside of the mag tube. A quick hit with a stone or grinder cures that. Some of the trigger groups with excessive clearance in the trigger slot will not stand the same level of trigger adjustment before intermittent failures occur. Other than these issues, all other problems we have seen are directly attributable to ammunition. These shotguns as a general rule do not like RIO slugs, FIOCCHI Aero slugs, Winchester bulk shells, Estate bargain shells (the ones in the white boxes) , or 1oz loads below 1200 fps in any brand. There are a few out there that do run with the super light stuff, but generally they do not.

Kurt- I will give you a call sometime next week and we can shoot the breeze for a few :)

$25.00 is not a deal breaker; if it truly improve the cycling of the gun as the manufacture states , or if you just like the way it looks BUT, sorry friends a magazine tube has nothing to do with the inertia system of the gun, a magazine tube ejects shot shells into the receiver that it. MarkCO. Please explain to us how your new Magazine tube (effects) the amount of force needed to drive the bolt rear ward in a inertia driven gun to a fully open position more efficiently 100% of the time while running lighter 2.5 dram. Some here have reported buying tMK3's that will run on lighter loads straight out of the box, and you might have bought one, but from what other's have shared that's not the norm.

Boom,

If you knew how the system ran, you would see what our tube does, and see the obvious benefit. But you are missing a key point. If you don't want to buy one don't, still free country.

We don't make trinkets and crap that does not work or improve the platforms we make parts for. In fact the manufacturer asked us to develop the tube for the M3000. That said, almost everything Carbon Arms has produced has been copied by our competitors, so at this point, I am not going to go down the path of explanation for you on an open forum and give away our design parameters.

MarkCO We all might have bought one of your magazine tubes, but early on you thought the only gun worth its salt was a Versa max, and stoegers were a 922r disaster waiting to happen. Tom of MOA precision made these 922r problem disappear one by one with time, and money manufacturing made in the USA parts for all Stoeger MK3 owners even getting some praise from big time competition 3 gun shooters. You stepping on the OP thread about his quick fix for a fail to eject issue by claim that if your tube was on the Stoeger the gun would run better. Me asking (HOW) is a simple question ? Saying others have copied your products so you won't discus it on a open forum where you want convince other MK3 owners to buy your new magazine tube vs. a MOA nordic tube is not unfair question.

Boom, if you want to talk, feel free to give me a call at the shop next wee. Sorry to have upset you.

We have made offers to all of the companies working on parts for the Stoeger tubes. Further, we won't be producing parts that copy MOAs solutions, which are excellent, just a different path.

Looking forward to testing the Carbon Arms tube. If it runs as advertised, we will offer it as a package upgrade and stock them on-the-shelf. There are benefits to the one-piece polished tube in theory. Can't wait to see how much improvement it makes in real life!

This is good news to hear. I'm wanting to get a m3000 from you over the winter and I like the idea of the CA tube over needing to put a tube and barrel clamp. Now if I can just find the way to sneak it all under the wife's radar.