Just got my A5 back

bwikel

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Tony, are you kidding? Jesse IS pretty, Chris Anderson IS fast!

The down side of "the feature" is that there is a substantial delay in when it finally loads the chamber. This causes a hesitation in the loading sequence whether loading dual/quad/Weakhand....etc. I don't know anyone who can get used to it and it takes almost a second and a half to figure if it does it's thing or not....BUT as I have posted before....LET THE RELEARNING BEGIN!!!!! :)

A delay? A second and a half?

Are we even talking about the same gun?

See my video above again and time how long it takes to chamber a round. I have also never had it not chamber a round.

It doesn't slow down quad loading or any other type of loading I have seen. Then again I am coming from a Browning Gold so maybe it's normal to me.

So get one, I'm told it is a game changer! The ones I have personally played with seem very slow.....and ARE!!! But video trumps all. If it,s on YouTube it has to be fast!......yes but even the proponents of it here mention the SECOND PAIR finally loads the chamber......guess it hasn't changetd that much since 1910 :)

Edited by kurtm

Practice, good planning and execution are game changers for me the speed load is just a nice feature. Speed load had nothing to do with my decision to go with the A5 it had everything to do with fit for me.

So get one, I'm told it is a game changer! The ones I have personally played with seem very slow.....and ARE!!! But video trumps all. If it,s on YouTube it has to be fast!......yes but even the proponents of it here mention the SECOND PAIR finally loads the chamber......guess it hasn't changetd that much since 1910 :)

And no, when quad loading the second shell of the first pair loads the chamber.

I DIDN'T SAY IT TOOK THE GUN 1 1/2 SECONDS TO LOAD!!!!!! It took that long for the HUMAN interface to realize it had!!!

Do you guys really think that I don't test just about EVERY PLATFORM OUT THERE? I've had at least two of everything out there! I'm not talking about a few rounds. Each platform gets at least 2500 rounds. If "Auto load" was the end all and be all I would have 4 of them......but I've still got an M1...

Alma, THANK YOU FOR MAKING MY POINT!!!

Yes, the SECOND SHELL OF the first pair.....FINALLY loads the chamber, the NATURAL PAUSE of quad loading......yes even I know how to quad load....dinosaur and all. It takes the system THAT LONG!!!! Great post and thank you....lightening fast....my....donkey!!! :)

I may not know anything about how the auto load feature works, but it would seem to me that it couldn't possibly load the first shell of a set, not because the system is slow but because your pushing the two shells in butts to nuts and the first one in the gun never has a chance to jump on the lifter with the second one riding it's ass in. I see what your saying Kurt, and I may be way off base here (not a deuce/quad loader nor a5 owner) but I can't see how that's the guns fault.

i think most competitors wrote off the the New A5 Brownelli when it came out a few years ago as a 2 3/4" platform. If you have handled a new A5 3.5" Stalker 26", you have to be impressed. The auto load feature is lighting fast, the 3.5" loading port is a huge improvement, and the gun weights under 7 pounds with a 10 tube! Joe Pitha and I shot the Versa Chall this month with the A5 3.5"and we had many stages where we had some nice advantages. In a shotgun match, it is a big advantage. You don't need an extended/enhanced bolt release, and you won't need a MatchSaverZ.

I posted this on another thread....

Advantages---- compared to most shotguns.

++++ auto load feature HUGE FEATURE, especially in shotgun only match.
+++ low profile forearm GREAT FOR QUAD LOADERS.
+++ under 7 pounds with 10rd Nordic tube. (The official Browning weight is way off! :) ).
++ the tube mouth is pretty close to the bottom of the forearm
++ you can mill past the shell stop quite a ways.
++ shell catch has nice unload feature, great for practicing.
+ rubber coating is nice. (My opinion).
+ POA/poi good (the ones I have seen).
+ 4 round length forearm
+ Brownelli (inertia recoil system) +cleaning vs gas.
Disadvantages----
--recoil stiffer than gas op systems
--Not a proven design with long durability like Benelli.
-- needs trigger work

- shell catch is a little quirky after adding 8-10 rds in tube.

Edited by roxymajor

Disadvantages: Not the gun KurtM bought 20 years ago to compete in 3 gun so it can't be as good, or isn't anything new, worth considering, or whatever...

Since benelli's patents expired aren't the internals on the new A5's mostly benelli .... "inspired" to put it lightly?

Alma, NEW things are definitely worth trying! The problem here is there is NOTHING NEW! Just because it is new to you, doesn't make it "New technology". The "New" auto-load feature was invented in 1898. The inertia driven system as we are talking about here was developed in 1967, although the original A5 WAS an inertia system as well. Feel free to be in awe of the auto load system all you wish, but it is hardly new nor game changing. They are nice guns however the one I played with was ok, but it didn't do anything my old M1 didn't do as long as I count, and one is very tried and true the other not so much.

Moltkie, now, now, we didn't 3-gun in 1910, but around 1914 we started to quite a bit. :)

Edited by kurtm

When browning released the inertia driven A5 it was released in a 3" version and even the long recoil system had a 3" stalker option so for several years now it has not been a 2 3/4 only option.

Yes. My bad. Thinking 2 3/4 since that is what we shoot.

Alma, NEW things are definitely worth trying! The problem here is there is NOTHING NEW! Just because it is new to you, doesn't make it "New technology". The "New" auto-load feature was invented in 1898. The inertia driven system as we are talking about here was developed in 1967, although the original A5 WAS an inertia system as well. Feel free to be in awe of the auto load system all you wish, but it is hardly new nor game changing. They are nice guns however the one I played with was ok, but it didn't do anything my old M1 didn't do as long as I count, and one is very tried and true the other not so much.

Moltkie, now, now, we didn't 3-gun in 1910, but around 1914 we started to quite a bit. :)

I'll give you the longevity of the A5 has not been proven. But WHAT IS NEW is this gun COMBINES the auto-load feature with a sub 7 lb gun, with a 3.5" port, with an inertia recoil system. THAT IS NEW! Not to mention the other features above. I am still a Benelli fan, but this gun has an advantage in our sport.

I'll give you the 3.5" port thing, but the Browning Auto 5 has always been an inertia system. Designed that way in 1898. A good gun? Maybe, New? Not hardly. Game changer....not as much as thought, after all ALL this same stuff was said about the Browning Gold.....and it wasn't. If you like the gun there is No reason not to get one. Will it work well for 3-gun, sure! If it fits you, use it, but to my original point.....it isn't a "game changer".

I got new A5 in Feb 2013 and have run it for 2 years and was running a browning gold before that for 7 years. there is no comparison.Also have a benelli M1 Lets just say I would rather shoot against shooters shooting a benelli than a A5 especially a shotgun stage with lots of targets, any question why. Blaster