Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Just got my A5 back

bwikel

So I decided to go the road less traveled on my next shotgun. I have shot humpbacks all my life and they point very naturally for me. I also think the auto load feature will prove itself valuable in a match situation. I have not shot it in a match yet but have run plenty of federal 1 1/8 oz bulk through it and it has been flawless. It also eats Fiocchi 7/8 oz. LR slugs well. I am still tweaking it to see if I can get my 1050 fps 1 oz. reloads to run 100% but I am not there yet. It shoulders well, feels really light and balanced in your hands. Also Hadley was able to extend the lifter without causing any problems with the auto load function. As far as I know that is a first, I think he did an excellent job! The flat forearm makes it really easy to quad load as long as I do my part correctly. I will update this thread as I get more trigger time with it. I'll be shooting it in a match this weekend.

A5-1_zps1bbba051.jpgA5-2_zps16858416.jpgA5-3_zpsb8006020.jpg

Edited by bwikel

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

All the credit for this one goes to Hadley Owens aka Crucible Armament. The trigger was worked to remove take up and smoothed out. I am quad loading strong hand so when the bolt locks back the second shell on the first set I load auto loads into the chamber.

Yep Moltke nailed it. When it goes to bolt lock it throws the first shell loaded into the mag (or the second in the case of load 2) onto the lifter and into the chamber. I'll check the trigger pull weight on a gage to see what it is pulling now. I know it started out about 6.5 lbs. It is lighter now I just don't know how much at the moment.

I ran the new Big Bore Performance A5 3.5" at The Versamax Challenge this month. I shot my prototype A5 modified load port/lifter, ran 100% (I wish my brain ran 100% that match). Just need to make the lifters pretty for you boys so they will be ready to sell. The auto-load feature definitely had a huge advantage on many stages.

post-11850-0-61260400-1416352137_thumb.j

fwiw.....check your barrels and make damn sure they're straight. I've seen three examples of this shotgun with warped barrels. Two were new on the shelf at Cabela's, the third was newly purchased and used on a high-volume dove hunt when the problem was discovered. Needless to say, it's my first (and hopefully last) experience with Brownings customer service. To say it sucks is putting it mildly.

Have anyone replaced the follower in an A5? I had a spare Nordic for a M2 laying around. I put it in and it appears to work, just haven't been able to put any rounds though it to verify. Since the Nordic is shorter I was able to squeeze an extra round in the tube. It was close with the factory, but wouldn't quite go.

Also, who does A5 work. I would like to get the loading port opened up. I was thinking about sending it to C-Rums, but didn't know if there were others. Thanks

Crucible Armament did the one I have pics posted of above. They milled the loading port, lightened the bolt, worked the trigger and extended my factory lifter. I am curious to see how the Nordic follower works for you. I could use a little extra room to make sure my 12th round goes in easy.

The self loading "game changer" already came and went. The Browning Gold had this feature and it was all the rage around 2004-2006. Come to find out, if you can count, or plan, it was a non issue, but carry on!! It will make you pretty as Jesse and fast as Anderson!

Note: the more stuff that becomes "Benelli like" the better it runs!

Tony, are you kidding? Jesse IS pretty, Chris Anderson IS fast!

The down side of "the feature" is that there is a substantial delay in when it finally loads the chamber. This causes a hesitation in the loading sequence whether loading dual/quad/Weakhand....etc. I don't know anyone who can get used to it and it takes almost a second and a half to figure if it does it's thing or not....BUT as I have posted before....LET THE RELEARNING BEGIN!!!!! :)