Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First Impressions of the 100 round 9mm Gauge

Sarge

So I just had to have one of these things so I ordered one and sat down and ran it through it's paces.

So I have great news and bad news..

First the good news. The gauge is awesome. If you are thinking about getting one, don't hesitate. Well worth the money in my opinion.

Bad news. Now I know why all the videos I could find of this thing being used are either with MTM boxes or they use .40 S&W to demonstrate. 9mm rounds will not go in a dillon box right side up? The boxes are sized just a tad too small and the rounds hang up. You have to use an MTM box, AND it has to be the standard old fashioned type. They drop right in and fall right out with no problem. But they don't always line up perfectly with Dillon boxes. SO, you should plan on using only MTM boxes. But if you are like me, and have 25+ Dillon boxes, you may want to improvise like i did. I actually reamed out each hole in one box with a dremel and a perfect sized sanding drum. Had to trim a little plastic residue with a razor blade but now they drop in and out just like an MTM. While I was at it I cut the top off of that modified box and worked on the edges a little so it slips right onto the gauge much easier. Makes it much faster and easier to use and made the gauge really shine.

Of course maybe I just have a whole case of Dillon boxes that are mis sized and yours could work perfectly. YMMV

Thanks for the review!

While we designed the gauges originally with Dillon boxes in mind, MTM (9 and 40/45 size) and Berry's boxes (in 9mm) do tend to work better for flipping than recent Dillon boxes where sometimes a tap on the bottom is needed to free the rounds-- It appears the Dillon injection mold has a bit more taper and a lot of shots through it, so they often end up a bit tight.

For those of you with .38 Supers and the like, don't worry a proper flip-tray will be along soon.

The best of my Dillon boxes still holds on tight to about 15 rounds when tipped upside down. I checked them all looking for that magic one that had no tight pockets! :eatdrink: Tapping will release a few but for the most part they have to be pulled out, they are so tight.

But now everything is flip, flip and done. Compared to the way I was doing it a month ago with a single dillon gauge is like going from a LEE single stage to a 650 with a bulletfeeder no less!

Edited by Sarge