Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Apex Tactical Flat Faced Forward Set Sear and Trigger Kit-Introduc

Magsz

Boom.

Here it is guys.

First a short disclaimer. I consider Randy and Scott personal friends of mine so this trigger kit was sent to me for evaluation. To them, i am the layman, the simple guy that shoots, analyzes his shooting and is always on the lookout for interesting gear that will aid in performance on the range. This trigger was sent to me for evaluation at no charge and the only request from the brains at Apex was that i do my very best to break it. Given my history with their products, i doubt i am going to be able to break it but i will most certainly try.

Now that we have that out of the way, lets move into some details. A lot of what i will share comes from the personal conversations ive had with Randy and Scott about the development of the trigger and why it exists. When these two dudes talk, i shut my yak hole and listen. Between the two of them, their collective engineering knowledge is staggering. I liken them both to Sheldon and Leonard on The Big Bang Theory....at least in regard to the size of their brains. They're not quite as abrasive and deserving of knee capping as Sheldon. :P I will leave it up to you as to who is who.

Anyway, in laymans terms, the trigger was specifically designed to mirror a 1911 trigger or the characteristics that make the 1911 trigger so desirable. As we all know, the less we influence the pistol when we press the trigger, the more accurate the shot will be. With minimal movement in the actual trigger arc and throw, a shooter will always be more accurate. Couple this with a world class trigger break and you've got the makings of a gun that is beyond easy to shoot well with the only limiting factor being the mechanical accuracy of the pistol itself.

The amount of thought, research and design time that went into the making of this trigger is staggering and every time Randy and Scott start brain storming and discussing design evolution, my head begins to hurt. There are a ton of triggers on the market but very few with any real design intent behind them. Simply machining a shoe out of aluminum is not the way to go about things. Sitting down with design criteria and designing a trigger shoe around said criteria is the way to accomplish what Apex has accomplished with this trigger. I will spare you the actual details involved with the ergonomic design criteria that the boys set forth for themselves and the trigger but it is REALLY impressive how they actually sat down and thought about how the human interacts with the trigger itself. The trigger shape and length again are maximized to minimize the amount the human will influence the trigger press.

I am impressed, more so than i was with the original FSS and this trigger in my mind, takes things to the next level.

Lastly, as with everything that Apex does, this product is not about flash, lightning cuts, buzz words, tactical asshattery or flat dark earth Combatz. This trigger is about results and man does it deliver.

The trigger kit will be available at Brownells and will retail for 169.95.

Edited by Magsz

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gran,

Those were the initial run made in Apex Red.

These new, production triggers are type 3 hard coat anodized aluminum, not plastic and they will retail for 169.95 and will be AVAILABLE on November 19th.

My FSS kit is a first generation pre production prototype so i dont want to go ahead and say that yes, the components are the same so i have a query in with Apex. When i find out what is or isnt compatible i will go ahead and post.

Keep in mind this is NOT a replacement for the FSS, at all. This is merely a companion product with a different design intent. In MY mind, the Flat Faced Trigger is vastly superior for what we do.

At first I thought there was some kind of proprietary rail system or something that allowed the trigger to travel straight back like a 1911.

Looks like its just a flat faced FSS upon closer inspection. Pretty cool but Ill probably just stick with the FSS.

At first I thought there was some kind of proprietary rail system or something that allowed the trigger to travel straight back like a 1911.

Looks like its just a flat faced FSS upon closer inspection. Pretty cool but Ill probably just stick with the FSS.

The trigger throws on both trigger shoes feel very different. IF the standard FSS is working for you then rock on. This thing is just...cool. Its not going to take you from B to A but if you like flat triggers, this is the way to go.

Are there any plans for different length triggers? The reach looks pretty far forward. I think Apex could move the face of the trigger back to stock length since it is still a hinged trigger.

What are the differences with this trigger versus the kits they have already produced with FSS? Is it a new FSS or just a flat faced long reach trigger?

I am genuinely interested, I have a lot invested in Apex parts on my guns. If this is truly a better mouse trap I would like to know. If this is their curent system with a long reach flat faced trigger, then I will stick with what I've got.

Flash,

I do not know if there are plans for any different length triggers. As we know, the backstrap system on the M&P was designed not only to fill the hand but to also allow the end user to adjust trigger pull length, or length of pull so to speak.

With the medium and small backstraps the trigger throw is perfect for me and i have hands on the smaller side.

The kit uses the same internal components as the existing FSS but the trigger shoe itself is very unique. Due to the design, the way it pivots feels vastly different than the current recurve triggers, even the FSS. The throw feels shorter but is mechanically the same since it uses the same sear. I hate to say this but the subjective nature of feel has a pretty big impact on how we choose gear and use it well.

I will say that you have a mechanical advantage with this trigger in that you can plop your finger almost anywhere and achieve the same desired result, ie a good trigger press. Flat faced triggers are VERY slappable. :)

Yessir.

The shoes will be available separately BUT you will need the rest of the kit, ie the unique sear and striker block.

These triggers WILL run into timing issues if you do not use the dedicated sear and striker block plunger.

Yessir.

The shoes will be available separately BUT you will need the rest of the kit, ie the unique sear and striker block.

These triggers WILL run into timing issues if you do not use the dedicated sear and striker block plunger.

I should be all set as I have the polymer fss trigger kit currently installed.

Yessir.

Magz, confirming with the Apex forward set sear, striker block plunger and springs,...the FFT is compatible with no issues correct?

Will we be able to get the FFT by its self Wednesday also?

Thank you

Hallz,

Yes sir.

The triggers themselves SHOULD be available separately at Brownells and Apex on Wednesday the 19th. Give Apex a call if you dont see what you need.

Edited by Magsz