Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The Quest for the Sub 3 El Prez

Jake Di Vita

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In Robbie Leatham's Gun Games interview, there's a segment where he talks about the El Prez, and comments on how the best shooters in the world at the time could now do it in the sub-4s. Then he says, "I'm not going to say no one will ever do it in sub-3. Because I can write out on paper what it would take." I would hazard a guess Robbie's list wouldn't have looked too different from Jake's. And if you look at that list, taken individually there's nothing there that couldn't be done by a really good shooter. The challenge is simply to hook them all together at once.

There was an article on the TGO series of guns with some TGO stories, in American Rifleman, and the author said he asked Robbie to run El Prez after a demo he was doing.

I think I remember him saying he ran it cold at 4.0, and that two or three more runs netted something down around 3.60, all were clean and I think he said the 4.0 was 60 points.

Anyone else read this?

It's funny that the last time this stage was even in a Nationals was at the 2002 Factory Nationals. What's even funnier is to look at the results of Stage 10.

Again, consistency is the most important thing. Anyone who could do a 4.5 clean on demand would've won that stage by a landslide!

i want to see a 2.95 run with 60 pts, at a major match..

Nothing stopping you.

I never have been much for goal setting and I suppose that's a weakness. However, when I do set a goal I set one that is realistic and achievable. I would be delusional to think I could do a 3 second El Pres. in this life time.

OTOH, if Jake thinks the goal is realistic for him, well he should go for it. Good luck Jake. Hope to read about it in Front Sight.

Not to mention that it is often...

...the journey, not the destination. ;)

Anybody that pushes toward a goal like this will certainly learn quite a bit about thier shooting along the path.

(If nothing else...we have over 60 posts with various shooters beating the idea around..that has got to be good for something.)

There's this story about a blind squirrel and a nut. How does that go again?

It's certainly possible on paper. Do I think Jake can do it? Absolutely. ;)

There's as much skill involved in 60pt/2.99sec ElPrez as there is in winning the mega-millions jackpot. They're both possible.

If someone won the lottery 3 out of 5 times I might start thinking skill was involved. :blink:

There's as much skill involved in 60pt/2.99sec ElPrez as there is in winning the mega-millions jackpot.  They're both possible.

What about a > 24 point 2.99 second El Pres. That becomes a bit more possible in most people's minds, right? Then it's back into the skill (speed) range.

Although if it is true that you can shoot A's as fast as you can shoot D's :P

If some one can do it in < 3 seconds with no Mikes (i.e. no blind trigger pulling) then that would be the first step to proving a < 3 seconds with decent hits is feasible, no?

Given that people have reported decent hits in 3.x seconds then I'm prepared to believe that some one (Jake) will be able to show us a video clip of a 3 second El Pres in the not too distant future. Not done cold, not done on demand but done once.

I'm looking forward to seeing it!

Kevin

A 4.something with all A's or one or two down is pretty tough to beat. Last time I shot el prez was a while ago and I felt like a stud when I shot it in a smidge over 6 seconds with good hits.

Good enough in the long run,,,,no,,,,best of my ability at that point in time,,,,yup. Pushing to get better yup.

Good luck in the quest....

Steve, no offense, but are you reloading in that video?

I'm trying to see a mag hit the ground but can't.

Per his dryfire book, you don't need to have a mag in there except every once in a while to make sure you're hitting the button hard enough. Reason: who wants to pick up mags every damn time? Less time spent picking up mags = more time to dryfire.

;)

Per the Dryfire Bible, he's likely starting without a mag in the gun, hitting the mag release and then loading a mag off the belt.

Gonna have to get on that mag-release fast or you might have mags running into each other! :)

- Gabe