Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2011 STI 40Cal Recoil Spring Recomendations?

hcf1976

Yup I run a 12 pound Wolf in my in my 5" Eagle with 173 PF loads. My Eagle is set up like a bushing Edge. Buy a 12 and 13 pound and see which one feels and shoots best for you. Found the factory 14 pound to be too heavy.

Just another vote for 12 pound-ish spring...

I've used both Wolf 12 and 13 pound springs as well as th ISMI 12.5 pound spring. Everyone has their personal favorite, but after 500-1000 rounds they both feel about the same to me. I've since settled on ISMI 12.5 just for the sake of simplicity in all of my .40 and .45 pistols that run 170-175 power factor ammo. Wolf springs work just as well, plus they give you a new firing pin spring. You'll be fine either way. Maybe buy an 11 pound and 14 pound as well so that you can try them and realize why the vast majority of shooters end up with something in the vicinity of 12 pounds...

Hope that helps,

Cheers623

DVC

A pretty good video to watch about tuning recoil springs. I tried it and that's how I settled on the 12 pound. My double taps were tighter. On my Trojan .40 though i use a 13 pound for the same reason. Best to try a few and see.

We ran slow motion video on a range of recoil springs from 10-13lb with my lightened slide the difference in flip is dramatic and the "settling" of the gun is crazy to see how much impact a different spring has. Also the radius of the firing pin stop and mainspring weight is just as impact full on initial muzzle flip and the feel of the guns recoil. I could actually see the best spring for me was a 10lb and a 15lb recoil spring with a standard radius. The only way to know the best is to try them back to back. Short of doing this, just grab a 11-12 will likely be in the ballpark

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

The 12lb is working pretty good on 2 shot groups got a 10lb ordered to try and see how it feels and preforms but 12lb would be more than sufficent but im gonna do further testing.. This is my first STI and man is it WONDERFUL shooting Limited gun!!!!!!

Ya 18 pounds is way heavy especially for a competition gun. Usually the ones pushing the 18 pound springs are the "tactical" guys. My springs are as follows

Open 9mm Major--8 pound

40 Cal limited gun 6 inch(major PF)--12.5 pounds

40 Cal 6 inch Minor PF(3 gun)--10 pound

9mm Single stack--9 pound

45 Single stack 14 pound

45 Carry gun--16 pound

I would suggest you go to a site sponsor, like Shooters Connection, buy springs of the same brand in 3-4 different weights and take a few hundred rounds to the range and try each spring to see which one works best with your loads and your style of shooting.

I tried a 10, 11, 12, 12.5, 13 and the recoil master and found that the 12 is best for me and my loads to get the gun back on target and the sights aligned. Springs are cheap.

I would suggest you go to a site sponsor, like Shooters Connection, buy springs of the same brand in 3-4 different weights and take a few hundred rounds to the range and try each spring to see which one works best with your loads and your style of shooting.

I tried a 10, 11, 12, 12.5, 13 and the recoil master and found that the 12 is best for me and my loads to get the gun back on target and the sights aligned. Springs are cheap.

Yeah im gonna do that got some ordered now and also gonna do some slide cuts to reduce slide weight then tune it in...

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

5" .40 and the ISMI 14lb feels best to me sets the front back down quicker and seemed to soften recoil, 165 PF

but I shoot way more 9 mm and the 14lb makes it feel much closer to my 9 mm 5" running 124 grn. @ 1100 FPS , ISMI 10lb spring,136 PF

• 2 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I have a 6 inch limited gun running a 12 pound spring. Running just a little north of 170 pf. I've done the slow motion test and this seems to be the best weight for me. I could go lighter, but it is a used gun with a higher rounds count. That coupled with a lot of slide cuts makes me wary of going any lighter. I tried shock buffs, but ran into reliability issues.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

IMO, spring weight also has something to do with the type powder your using.    Ex...TG is a harsh powder compared to WST or N320 and using a 11,12 spring with TG, may feel like it is battering the frame.

JMO