Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is there any reason to get something other than an M2?

Haraise

I would like to point out that changing springs, isn't a "trigger job". The TTI springs are great, but what I am referring to is stoning, changing sear engagement, depth of sear contact etc. When I say don't do a trigger job on a Benelli, that is what I am talking about! Not drop in spring changes....which the TTI part do a wonderful job!

But.......I want you to make my Benelli M2 trigger feel like my 2011 trigger. :goof:

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

For what its worth: many a years ago I bought a used M1 for 800 with a 18.5 and 24" barrel with the intention of shooting 3 gun. Afghanistan and Iraq got in the way and it was not for years later that I was able shoot 3g. I remember that the M1 kicked quite a bit, so I sold it for 800 with the extra barrel. years later in El Paso at our club matches I upgraded from my 870 house gun to a 1100 tac 4. I liked the 1100 at the time but made a critical mistake of putting Scattergun sights because I did not know any better. The EZ loader was a lifesaver after I put it in and I did not have trouble with the 1100. A few years later I picked up a new M2 for cheep on sale at a store but it had a 18.5 barrel and rifle sights. I knew I would need another barrel, at the time I did not know another barrel would be so expensive. I later sold the gun for what I put into it. This was about the time the FNH SLP came out, and I was torn between the SLP and a M2 with a proper barrel. I went with the SLP and shot it for about two years. I finally saw the light and found a lightly used and lightly modified M2 for sale and scooped it up. The lighter weight of the M2 was enough to make me a believer and I did not notice that It recoiled any more then the SLP. Shot side by side, the rem 1100 has a longer smoother recoil and it heavy to swing. the SLP is heavy with moderate recoil. The m2 with a comfortech stock is light, swings well and has moderate recoil. The only complaint that I have about the M2 is the lack of an aftermarket short comfortech stock. I wish I had read this thread before I bought the 1100! Of the matches I have been to, its rare to see 10/10 shotguns in a squad run. On average I would have to say that its a 60% success rate. Without question I can say that the most important trait of a shotgun is that it works. Im no expert....I just shoot them....the "only" mods to my M2 are increased magazine, welded lifter, ghost load and big bolt release.

For what its worth: many a years ago I bought a used M1 for 800 with a 18.5 and 24" barrel with the intention of shooting 3 gun. Afghanistan and Iraq got in the way and it was not for years later that I was able shoot 3g. I remember that the M1 kicked quite a bit, so I sold it for 800 with the extra barrel. years later in El Paso at our club matches I upgraded from my 870 house gun to a 1100 tac 4. I liked the 1100 at the time but made a critical mistake of putting Scattergun sights because I did not know any better. The EZ loader was a lifesaver after I put it in and I did not have trouble with the 1100. A few years later I picked up a new M2 for cheep on sale at a store but it had a 18.5 barrel and rifle sights. I knew I would need another barrel, at the time I did not know another barrel would be so expensive. I later sold the gun for what I put into it. This was about the time the FNH SLP came out, and I was torn between the SLP and a M2 with a proper barrel. I went with the SLP and shot it for about two years. I finally saw the light and found a lightly used and lightly modified M2 for sale and scooped it up. The lighter weight of the M2 was enough to make me a believer and I did not notice that It recoiled any more then the SLP. Shot side by side, the rem 1100 has a longer smoother recoil and it heavy to swing. the SLP is heavy with moderate recoil. The m2 with a comfortech stock is light, swings well and has moderate recoil. The only complaint that I have about the M2 is the lack of an aftermarket short comfortech stock. I wish I had read this thread before I bought the 1100! Of the matches I have been to, its rare to see 10/10 shotguns in a squad run. On average I would have to say that its a 60% success rate. Without question I can say that the most important trait of a shotgun is that it works. Im no expert....I just shoot them....the "only" mods to my M2 are increased magazine, welded lifter, ghost load and big bolt release.

You can now get the shorter “Compact” Comfortech stock from Benelli - or have your gunsmith cut off the standard length stock and attach a new recoil pad.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have a quick question. Sorry if this has already been covered but I just had back surgery, and I am laid up and drugged up. So reading all the posts is a chore with the pain killers they gave me. Anyway I was talking with a guy at the gunstore about the m2 3 gun edition, and he suggested just buying a m2 and taking it to a gun smith. Suggested that I could come out with a better gun at less of a cost. Has anyone done this or what are your thoughts?

I have a quick question. Sorry if this has already been covered but I just had back surgery, and I am laid up and drugged up. So reading all the posts is a chore with the pain killers they gave me. Anyway I was talking with a guy at the gunstore about the m2 3 gun edition, and he suggested just buying a m2 and taking it to a gun smith. Suggested that I could come out with a better gun at less of a cost. Has anyone done this or what are your thoughts?

You'll be a couple hundred ahead and have a better product if you buy a regular M2 Field and send it to Accurate Iron for the full meal deal.

• 3 weeks later...

Hmmm. Might be urban legend, but I was under the impression USAMU had to use American manufactured firearms. Even Military issue Beretta M9s and FN-produced M4s are manufactured in US facilities. Feel free to correct me if this is BS, just what I have heard from more than one place.

I don't know what he used at the shootoff, but I know all the matches I have seen him in he uses a Versa Max. My cousin shot on the same squad as the AMU at 2014 Ironman and all of them where using Versa Maxes. My cousin took 3rd in Scoped Tac with AMU guys taking 1st, 2nd, and 4th. All of them including my cousin used Versa Maxes. I could see in a short and fast shoot off type match a lighter weight M2 would be an advantage.

I just find it interesting though that in a endurance match like Ironman they chose Versa Maxes with all the reliability issues I keep hearing about on the forums.

There isn't a Holiday Inn Express within 50 miles of me but my guess on the AMU Versa Max is the Robbie Johnson connection. When he retired from AMU, he went to work for Remington. I've never used a Versa so no idea on the function problems but AMU has a whole team of really, really smart gunsmiths that could cure any problem the guns might have.

Hmmm. Might be urban legend, but I was under the impression USAMU had to use American manufactured firearms. Even Military issue Beretta M9s and FN-produced M4s are manufactured in US facilities. Feel free to correct me if this is BS, just what I have heard from more than one place.

http://www.gunsandammo.com/blogs/news-brief/u-s-army-awards-new-contract-for-beretta-m9/

Not sure about the M4's though. Things are supposed to be Berry compliant, but I think that it still comes down to the mighty dollar. I am almost certain that our m-249s and 240s are made in FN's overseas plants.

Edited by Nebwake

Interesting comments from everyone. I hope this has shed some light on the subject for Haraise. Of course everyone is encouraged to weigh in with their thoughts but at the end of the day, one of the people on this topic is the one I would listen to closest.

Any time you see some thing from kurtm read it a couple of times. Then write some of it down. Kurt Miller has been there, done that on any thing you can think of with a shotgun. It is really cool that we can have someone like Kurt take the time to help us out. I'm not discounting what Mike Cyrwus from Accurate Iron says at all and having him build your M2 would be fantastic. Having him commenting here is also awesome.

Between Kurt and Mike you are covered. I just want to say thank you to these guys for passing along a life time of knowledge. If you are not familiar with who these guys are do a little checking, I think you will understand why I say when they speak listen up.

Wow I am humbled GoinHot, thank you for your kind thoughts. I would like to point out that KurtM and Mike Cyrwus are close amigos and we are neighbors. When I'm home I see Mike a couple times a week and we shoot together quite often. Matter of fact he got the first Mag tube alignment tool ever made..... at no charge because he helped diagnose the problem as well.