Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is there any reason to get something other than an M2?

Haraise

I keep ending up thinking that I need to go with an M2, but I'd like to check here first.

Looking for:

18.5" barrel

Red dot sight (T1/RMR)

Lightweight

Light recoiling (ComfortTech?)

Modifies to an optimal platform... looking to open up the loading port, carbon fiber extension tube, ghost load, trigger job, probably something like the TTI M2 package down the road. So not concerned about the tube it comes with, how open the reloading is at the start, but where it can end up.

So, anything else I should be looking at, or would a TTI M2 be the way to go?

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

No, there's no reason to get something else. However, you don't want to put a dot on it unless you're going to load it with sticks or put an xrail on, you want a 21"-26" barrel with a vent rib, you don't want a carbon fiber tube unless it has aluminum under it, and you don't want to give it a trigger job.

But if you just got a TTI M2 package, you'd be in good shape. :)

According to the survey currently going on, there seem to be a number of people who use/like some other shotgun brand.

survey says,.........

"they cant shoot"!

Damn right. And apart from that, their opinions are straight up wrong.

The only reason not to get an M2 is if you get a deal on an M1.

That's a very complete package and undoubtedly a super competent gun. It's only money and there are other differences but a fully prepared Versa Max by a shop like Triangle can be had for less. Their version of the VM is a pretty popular choice. I have one and it reportedly is a softer shooter and slightly easier to load. I haven't compared them side by side but a lot of shooters I play with have them.

That's a very complete package and undoubtedly a super competent gun. It's only money and there are other differences but a fully prepared Versa Max by a shop like Triangle can be had for less. Their version of the VM is a pretty popular choice. I have one and it reportedly is a softer shooter and slightly easier to load. I haven't compared them side by side but a lot of shooters I play with have them.

with respect, for you compare your shotgun with another gun you do not have first hand knowledge with certainly doesnt help.

with respect, for you compare your shotgun with another gun you do not have first hand knowledge with certainly doesnt help.

With respect, I didn't say that they were equivalent but the OP did ask about other options. Forum traffic would be a lot less if we had to be intimate with all the choices. I made no pretense of expertise.

I'd heard it recoils less, but how much of that is due to the weight, which I need to cut down anyway?

No, there's no reason to get something else. However, you don't want to put a dot on it unless you're going to load it with sticks or put an xrail on, you want a 21"-26" barrel with a vent rib, you don't want a carbon fiber tube unless it has aluminum under it, and you don't want to give it a trigger job.

But if you just got a TTI M2 package, you'd be in good shape. :)

Um, the TTI package includes a trigger job, so why wouldn't I want that?

Triangle makes great Versa,s no doubt about it, but to keep one running takes Benelli parts like hammers, disconnectors, cam pins, etc. I guess I'm all for cutting out the middle man and just getting a Benelli.....after-all it already comes with Benelli parts. :) Everyone always says....this, fill in the blank, gun will be just as good as a Benelli with some work. Why not avoid the "will be" and get the already is!!! I will echo the 21-24" barrel though, the 18.5" is not as versatile.

I'd heard it recoils less, but how much of that is due to the weight, which I need to cut down anyway?

I'm not sure on the weight but from what I've been told, the lesser perceived recoil is due to the VM being a gas system while the Benelli is inertial driven. Some say the Benelli is "faster" by I'm not sure how that translates for other than the top shooters. I have shot regularly with both VM and Benelli top competitors and they all amaze me. The other thing I've heard but am not sure how relevant it would be to many shooters is that the VM handles a mix of shells better. There are so many variables including the shooters priorities that weren't stated in the OP.

With respect, I didn't say that they were equivalent but the OP did ask about other options. Forum traffic would be a lot less if we had to be intimate with all the choices. I made no pretense of expertise.

I guess Im just a quality over quantity guy.

Uncle Kurt says Benelli trigger job is bad juju. As I understand it, much of the Benelli magic is contained within the individual components of the trigger group, and the act of performing a trigger job removes material, which in turn removes some of the magic. You don't want to take any magic out, do you?

Yeah I like quality too. Take a look at my fleet as listed in the sig. line. Everyone of those guns was carefully selected after careful consideration of a lot of comments. You won't find too many Nighthawks, Tanfo Xtremes or SIG P-210's in the bargain bucket.

Yeah I like quality too. Take a look at my fleet as listed in the sig. line. Everyone of those guns was carefully selected after careful consideration of a lot of comments. You won't find too many Nighthawks, Tanfo Xtremes or SIG P-210's in the bargain bucket.

Where's the JPs and SVs?

survey says,.........

"they cant shoot"!

Damn right. And apart from that, their opinions are straight up wrong.

The only reason not to get an M2 is if you get a deal on an M1.

Boy you benelli people are just plain mean! Maybe that's why I don't own one. The OP wanted a lightweight and low recoil gun. Good luck with that! Those two attributes seem to be mutually exclusive. I've shot plenty of 7ish pound SBE-2's, Cordoba's, an M2, an Extrema and a couple thousand rounds out of my 1301 and all have been considerably more snappy than the 9lb Rem 1100 I was running previously. So what? I'm way quicker on a plate rack with any of those harder recoiling guns than the 1100. I'm not quite sure why but the timer doesn't lie.

Where's the JPs and SVs?

Are they better or worse? Do you have hands-on experience we can learn from?

Sure do (they're better), although I have to admit an exception for a P210, because I don't know what one is.

Well thanks for the help! I'm sure all those STI 2011 shooters will be grateful too. I'll have to write to that loser Eric Grauffel. Google SIG P-210 if you want to read for the rest of the evening.

Sure do (they're better), although I have to admit an exception for a P210, because I don't know what one is.

It's that kind of attitude that makes me happy every time I see the m&p9/mossberg 930 guys whoop on the sti/benelli guys at a lot of matches I've been to. It doesn't happen every time but it does happen. Experience and practice beats equipment and brand names every time.

I'm getting all hot and bothered just thinking about the Sig p210. If I had a need for a single stack 9mm and some disposable income burning up my pocket I would have to give in to my lust and buy one.

It's just a lovely gun with a fascinating history. I can't get over the experience of shooting it every time I take it out. American 1911 fans might be interested to know that there are a lot of parallels with JMB's masterpiece designs. Mine is the new made- in- Germany Legend Target model. I've used it in IPSC Standard but it's not a great gaming gun because of capacity and to a lesser extent the design of the safety control. It also has to be reloaded very precisely as the mags must be lined up accurately. So shooting minor and with a capacity of just eight isn't going to thrill the gamer. However slow down and go for accuracy and the gun will live up to all the skill you can muster.

I wrote a lengthy review of my gun shortly after I got it. That involved a lot of research into the history and application of the P-210 since 1949. The older Swiss models are still in high demand but be prepared to spend some coin. Getting the older magazines is difficult and can be very expensive with some people paying up to $300 for what they want. I've modified my gun very carefully to make the safety easier to operate. I got my help from the SIG forum where you will find many very knowledgeable P-210 devotees. P-210 owners have a lot in common with 1911 people in that some can tell you the exact year a particular screw was used.

Everyone that shoots my pistol smiles.

DSC_0020-R.jpg

Edited by hercster

It's that kind of attitude that makes me happy every time I see the m&p9/mossberg 930 guys whoop on the sti/benelli guys at a lot of matches I've been to. It doesn't happen every time but it does happen. Experience and practice beats equipment and brand names every time.

You're right, and I owned an M&P40 that put down some hurt on an awful lot of fancy 2011s, but the Infinity sure is a lot easier to shoot. Prettier too. And that leads us back to why Benelli; because it's the best, and you can get beaten by someone shooting a different shotgun, but it ain't gonna be the shotgun's fault.