Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CM 06-03 Can You Count

MRevolutionIX

Besides my mental error and fumbled reload on the second string. I would like to hear from you guys on where I can shave some time (mainly 1st string). Im suspecting my draw was about .9-1 second (never asked what my draw time was) which I know is slow for that close of a target. What else do you guys see? Thanks.

Edited by MRevolutionIX

Your shooting speed is spot on for this classifier. So your lost time on this is a little bit in the draw and more so in the reload. I will focus my comments on your first string. At the start of the draw watch your left hand. You bring it to your stomach area then back down to meet the gun to build the grip. This tells me that you are not getting your hand to the gun fast enough. Basically, if your left hand has time to do extra movement before starting the build of the grip, then you are not getting your hand to the gun or getting the gun out of the holster aggressive enough. BUT even that that, I think you are only giving away maybe .10 - .15 in time on the draw, there is an opportunity to improve, but not much.

The reload on the other hand is a different story. I used my wrist watch to time your reload time from shot to shot several times and it was around 1.10 - 1.20. Ultimately knowing what it was on the shot timer would be best but you can extrapolate a fairly accurate time from the video using a stop watch. Your aggressiveness to start the load as soon as the last shot is fired is good. You also have good and fast hand speed to the next magazine and bring it back up fast. Where you lose some time is how low you bring the gun to receive the new magazine. This allows you to get the magazine into the gun sooner but delays the time it takes to rebuild your grip and get the gun back on target. I think you are giving away at least .20 - .30 by bringing the gun down too low during the reload. You need to think about these type of mechanics the same way as breaking down shooting positions. The more you dig into a position the more you have to dig back out of the position. If you displaced the gun less from the fully mounted position but maintained the same fast slapping to the next mag hand speed it would produce a faster shot to shot reload because you are simply displacing the gun off target less.

Lastly, this classifier is more of a mental game than anything. Producing a solid first run usually translates into a train wreck on the second run because you "Try" to do it better or faster. The only way to approach this classifier is to treat it like two completely different stages. That is super hard to do when you shoot both strings back to back.

Thanks Charlie. You are spot on, on the observation. I actually utilized the ShotCoach app (had it for awhile but never used it) on the first string and my draw was .96 and my reload was 1.18 secs. I did the math and a GM score would need to be 6-6.10 seconds and that is exactly the difference in my run. If I was down to a .7-.8 draw and a 1 sec reload. That would get me in there.

Edited by MRevolutionIX

• 3 years later...

Dusting off this old thread to see if people had thoughts on the best order, especially as it relates to any impact on the reload. 

I realize that all the targets are close by (basically point blank) but wonder if any order helps with the quick reload and re-acquisition needed....I’m boardering a class move, so I can’t help but do my homework. I practice indoors so can only try 5 reload 5 on same target. 

1) Index and draw to farther target and then hose the near on each string? 

2) Index and draw to near because those have no shoots then reload and shoot far? 

3) Left to right (so near & far and then far & near)? 

4) Absolutley doesn’t matter?

Thanks! 

Edited by Covfefe

3 and/or 4.

The targets are so close for this one you shouldn’t even notice the no shoots. I typically shoot this one left to right. So I start on the partial in the first string and end on it in the second string. I do it this way just because it’s more natural for me to transition to the right. That being said I’d venture a guess that the score would probably end up pretty close shooting in any order. The hard part about this classifier isn’t really the points, it’s executing the manipulations at top speed without a hitch. To smoke a 100 on this one you have to have a flawless (and fast) draw and reload on each string.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

try it both ways (dryfire and live fire) and see which you prefer. I personally transition faster right to left, so I shoot both strings right to left.

of course I practice it both ways, because sometimes you have to shoot left to right for some other reason.

I don't really have a quicker transition direction, and for me (the last time I shot this) I wanted to burn the draw and then allow myself to be a little sloppier on the shooting after the reload without risking a NS. 

That said, I don't think that it matters at all/option 4. Dryfire both directions and see if your body has a naturally faster direction.