Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which semi auto shotgun are you running for 3-gun

Jesse Tischauser

Started with a Mossberg 930. Just jumped on the new Stoeger M3000 bandwagon. Haven't finished the 3-gun mods yet. If it works out I may sell the 930. It hasn't failed me yet with just over a season and a half on it. I just like not having a gas system to clean. Not that it's difficult. I'm just lazy.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I wanted to try something different so I gave the girsan mc312 a shot. It's basically a benelli clone but has the spring in the stock not the forend like the stoeger does. Charging handle is extended some but not massive. Recoil pad is contoured at the top so it dosent hand and the pad isn't too bad. The trigger is not bad and it has a fiber optic front sight. It uses the beretta/benelli mobile chokes and comes with 5 chokes that are flush. I have an extended one in it now as we have quite a few of them. The shell lifter did not catchy thumb at all doing a load 2 and the shell stop isn't overly tight. Mods I did to the gun are added a benelli nova tube to bring it up to 12+1 and added a clamp and nordic follower. The tube needed to be cut down about 3/4 of an inch as there is A lot of unthreaded part past the tube and you need about 1/4 inch past the threads. I used a pipe cutter and perfect clean cut in under a min. The action feels smooth when cycling. I have not done any work to the port as loading 2 with no interest in quads I am fine with how it loads even unmodified. Total cost with the tube and all is about what a new stoeger goes for. Figured it was worth a shot to see how it goes and it's working good so far. I just don't shoot 3 gun enough to justify spending 2k plus on a shotgun for it. I'm also not shooting round after round through it to practice shooting a shotgun as I'm pretty comfortable with my shotgun shooting

I love my M2 but i bet this vote will look more in favor of the Stoeger and A5 if you did this again in a year or so

What do you think the A5 has over the M2? Is the autoload so much better than dropping in the chamber? Anything else?

The auto load on an A5 is nice for an unloaded start or if it's run dry as you load the same regardless and don't have to practice tossing one in the chamber dropping bolt and stuffing tube or hitting the release to close it and the loading tube and practice getting one in the lifter and in the gun fast. I have felt and shot an A5 and it's lighter than the others you may or may like that and it seemed to recoil harsher.

I shoot a Winchester SX2. Handled it at a gun show and it fit me way better than the 930's I had been considering. Nordic tube and a new fiber optic is all I've done to it.

Its my favorite gun to shoot and it only cost me an old deer rifle and a couple hundred bucks.

• 2 weeks later...