Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rock Island Hi Cap pistols

fp45liberator

3 hours ago, tomjerry1 said:

Why not just get MBX for the RIA Pro 40??? I have been using them in mine for awhile now, no problems, no using the mag tuning kit. Before these, I used standard STI 40 mags, but had to beat them into submission, but they worked.

Mostly because I was hoping to have mags that would work in an STI pattern gun if/when I decide to upgrade down the road.  But also to attempt to save ~$30 each by build mags from STI tubes and TTI bases/guts.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I decided to go with the MBX because of people that I knew, and how happy they where with them. Also reading in the forums, seems the majority are very satisfied, and the mags are made to fit our gun, not modified to make work. Yes, they do cost more, but when a mag starts failing during a match, the frustration level starts to peak. I used MBX all last year, didn't treat them any different than the others, and no failures to date. With the other mags, at the beginning of the year, I would be in the shop using the tuning kit, ensuring the mags were correct. Throughout the year, I would be in the shop bending mags that gave some issues during a match, guess that's why we have so many. Now, I have three MBX that I use all the time, and two STI that I have decided to keep as spares, so far, so good. The MBX hold the bullets more aligned to the chamber so they transition better, I can feel and hear the difference when a round is loaded.  I have also trimmed the two STI in the lip area to match the MBX profile, allows to bullets to stand up a little more to transition to the chamber.

I decided to go with the MBX because of people that I knew, and how happy they where with them. Also reading in the forums, seems the majority are very satisfied, and the mags are made to fit our gun, not modified to make work. Yes, they do cost more, but when a mag starts failing during a match, the frustration level starts to peak. I used MBX all last year, didn't treat them any different than the others, and no failures to date. With the other mags, at the beginning of the year, I would be in the shop using the tuning kit, ensuring the mags were correct. Throughout the year, I would be in the shop bending mags that gave some issues during a match, guess that's why we have so many. Now, I have three MBX that I use all the time, and two STI that I have decided to keep as spares, so far, so good. The MBX hold the bullets more aligned to the chamber so they transition better, I can feel and hear the difference when a round is loaded.  I have also trimmed the two STI in the lip area to match the MBX profile, allows to bullets to stand up a little more to transition to the chamber.
I went with 4 MBX mags for my RIA as well. Definitely the way to go. Only issue I had was that a few wouldn't drop free so had to pinch them down a bit but they're flawless now. It's the way to go if you're doing competition or some important things. Pretty costly for just a range trip

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I have 8 MBX's for my 9, I was just trying to keep the cost down a bit on the 40. Especially since it was a bit of an impulse buy. I really dislike the purple insert setup on the factory style mags with the Dawson extensions, as disassembly and cleaning is necessary any time a mag hits the ground several places I shoot (moon dust) and I find them to be a PITA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have 5 MG p18 mags that I got off midway, the TF basepads fit great. Hopefully will have a range report up tomorrow or by next weekend.

The TF base pads on mecgar p.18 mags worked great. 300 rounds 115 fmj fed perfect.

I was able to get 20 in each mag too, so the +3 is nice

I'm a pretty big fan of what Hayes custom guns does for the Rock Islands.  Borrowed a buddies 9mm for a match and now I have a 40 on the way after Hayes gets finished with it

Edited by Thatsme
link didn't work

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/7/2018 at 3:54 PM, SCRKT said:

The TF base pads on mecgar p.18 mags worked great. 300 rounds 115 fmj fed perfect.

I was able to get 20 in each mag too, so the +3 is nice

Ordered 2 of the Mec Gar P18 mags in nickle and 2 Taylor Freelance base pads last week. Good to hear they are working well. New to the RIA 2011 world. I will be using it for 3 gun mainly, or the occasional USPSA match. I have one factory TCM mag as my 3rd mag, its a tight fit with the fatty TF magwell but works. 

My first post on this thread and likely not the last. I purchased a TCM A2 model used recently and will be making changes to it for 3 gun use. As of the moment it has Hogue grips installed. I just recieved some G10 grips from Stoner CNC Which will be installed tomorrow. Also ordered a MecGar p18 magazine and will be ordering The TF magwell and 3 extensions in a few days

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I’ve been running the RIA Tactical in 40 for a while now in USPSA. Only modifications are a trigger job, 12lb variable recoil spring, 15 lb main spring, TF magwell and GC mags with Dawson extensions. Had to open up the magwell a bit to run those basepads.

It’s loosened up a bit but runs flawlessly and flat. I’ve recently started reloading which greatly improved its shootability with custom loads. Also invest in a metal main spring housing because the adjustment screw on the TF magwell ends to dig into the plastic main spring housing causing the magwell to loosen up after a while.

79a470d63f9a6013073abcb4713c79ec.jpg

On 1/7/2018 at 6:20 PM, Thatsme said:

I'm a pretty big fan of what Hayes custom guns does for the Rock Islands.  Borrowed a buddies 9mm for a match and now I have a 40 on the way after Hayes gets finished with it

I too have a 9mm at HCG. for the Works   Can’t wait to get it back

4 hours ago, soulbyte said:

I’ve been running the RIA Tactical in 40 for a while now in USPSA. Only modifications are a trigger job, 12lb variable recoil spring, 15 lb main spring, TF magwell and GC mags with Dawson extensions. Had to open up the magwell a bit to run those basepads.

It’s loosened up a bit but runs flawlessly and flat. I’ve recently started reloading which greatly improved its shootability with custom loads. Also invest in a metal main spring housing because the adjustment screw on the TF magwell ends to dig into the plastic main spring housing causing the magwell to loosen up after a while.

79a470d63f9a6013073abcb4713c79ec.jpg

Which main spring housing did you go with? I've been wanting to do the same.

28 minutes ago, soulbyte said:

EGW

Thank you. I'm new to the platform and I don't wanna order parts that don't fit. If you don't mind which part number the housing that is in the picture.

49 minutes ago, tkane said:

Thank you. I'm new to the platform and I don't wanna order parts that don't fit. If you don't mind which part number the housing that is in the picture.

No worries, I'm glad I can help. The one in the picture is still the plastic mainspring housing, an older picture. if you look closely I place a metal plate between to keep the screw from digging into the plastic. The one I ordered from EGW is here: http://www.egwguns.com/1911-parts/1911-egw-mainspring-housing-blue/

Edited by soulbyte

3 hours ago, Thatsme said:

You won't be disappointed. Not even the same gun anymore

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I've been hearing a lot about HCG and how well they build the RIA's. What exactly do they do to modify and tune them. I'm interested.

On 1/23/2018 at 10:19 AM, tkane said:

As soon as I figure out which Dawson rear site works in mine that will be my next upgrade.

Tall or short?  I bought the tall first and it was too tall, short worked fine with stock height front.