Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SJC 9MM Major Glock For Open Reviews?

Maximis228

Well, I haven't but I'm in the process of putting together something similar. To save some money I've gone with a used gun, holster, mags etc.

With the price of the gun, powder, brass, dies, and parts for my press ect I still wont have that much into it. Seems like the cheapest way to get started in open to me. As long as I can get the gun to run well I'm not worried about being out gunned. If the gun is reliable and I practice enough I'm sure I'll do fine. If I like it maybie some day I'll upgrade.

I'll know more in another month or so. I'm planning to switch after Area 8. Ask me again in a year, and I'll be able to tell you if it really worked or not. lol

I am sure that SJC Open Glock pistols are an excellent choice but, I am inclined to believe that, if you bought all the parts and put it together yourself, it's going to cost you a lot less than $1925.

Do it your self, SJC has a home build kit. thats what i did and it was very rewarding to me. go with a 90 degree mount, dot seats lower and no ejsction problems as i found out... If you build it you'll know whats up when shes sick and haveing problems.. USPAS is fun But The Dark Side is Fun'er

post-51591-0-74071800-1407203591_thumb.j

I thought about this last winter and ended up building one myself out of SJC parts. Its not that hard, and you end up spending a lot less money. SJC is a great company, im happy with the parts and the service I received.

Have you shot one? If your around MI/IN I would be happy to let you shoot mine

Mine built by myself was much less than what SJC offers as a package

It was easy to do with all their parts

Barrel $225

Comp $110

Sideways mount $150

Heavy mag well $140

Frame weight $80

Thumb rest $50

8moa Cmore $200

Trigger parts $125

Roughly $1100 a little shipping costpost-27714-0-11119100-1407268822_thumb.j

Edited by shooter.860

Barrel $225

Comp $110

Sideways mount $150

Heavy mag well $140

Frame weight $80

Thumb rest $50

8moa Cmore $200

Trigger parts $125

Roughly $1100 a little shipping costattachicon.gifimage.jpg

Why did you want to go with the LWD slide?

Barrel $225

Comp $110

Sideways mount $150

Heavy mag well $140

Frame weight $80

Thumb rest $50

8moa Cmore $200

Trigger parts $125

That is basicly what I'm doing. But, I decided to cheap out and get a LW barrel, that with a carver comp is only $200. That knocks $135 off of your estimate. Lose the frame weight, and save another $80. Little things hear and there add up quick.

Now having said that, how do you like that frame weight on your open gun? I may have to consider dropping the extra $80 bucks if it's worth it.

Edited by Racinready300ex

Barrel $225

Comp $110

Sideways mount $150

Heavy mag well $140

Frame weight $80

Thumb rest $50

8moa Cmore $200

Trigger parts $125

Why did you want to go with the LWD slide?

I happened to have one I bought off a friend. No preference really over stock

I have had a home brewed SJC glock and a open 2011, save your money get a used 2011

If you want to shoot production or you have to defend yourself a glock is one of the best handguns for the job, conversely it just wasn't made to be a open gun.

Just my lowly opinion.

Edited by aaronsdmf

If you want to shoot production or you have to defend yourself a glock is one of the best handguns for the job, conversely it just wasn't made to be a open gun.

What don't you like about your Open Glock?

The trigger and a top heavy slide/ light frame and I just like the feel and look of a 2011 more

They will run, you can be competitive but it's like trying to make a reliable family car run

A 10sec 1/4 mile, just really wasn't built to do that.

however I would say they are cheaper to maintain and KC can run a open glock like a champ.

I'm surprised you never saw it, well come to think of it I never shot it at dumont.

I see. When the time comes for me to shoot Open (and if price isn't an issue), I think I would be more inclined to build a 2011. What I find appealing about a Glock Open is how cheap it is to put one together (vs an STI).

Who knows... I might start buying SJC parts little by little just to try one out. In the end, I can always throw a .22LR top end on it and shoot Steel Challenge.

They will run, you can be competitive but it's like trying to make a reliable family car run

I used to have a 400+ whp Neon. So a open glock should be just right for me. lol.

Edited by Racinready300ex

I see. When the time comes for me to shoot Open (and if price isn't an issue), I think I would be more inclined to build a 2011. What I find appealing about a Glock Open is how cheap it is to put one together (vs an STI).

Who knows... I might start buying SJC parts little by little just to try one out. In the end, I can always throw a .22LR top end on it and shoot Steel Challenge.

Yeah that's was the big appeal for me, but when you think of the cost of everything else it's really not that cheaper

I ended up switching slides, triggers, comps then I went from an rmr to a carver mount to an SJC mount... that glock cost me money.

That Brazos gun I shoot, picked it up for 2600 other than S. Pitt tweaking it a little I haven't touched

And that gun runs.

Damn I wish I would have known earlier I would have just given you all my zev/SJC stuff/170mm mags for free

I had no use for it.

Edited by aaronsdmf

The trigger and a top heavy slide/ light frame and I just like the feel and look of a 2011 more

however I would say they are cheaper to maintain and KC can run a open glock like a champ.

I'm surprised you never saw it, well come to think of it I never shot it at dumont.

I thought this would be a problem, but once I really did a lot of work on my Limited 34 it wasn't a huge issue for me.

I have the Dawson brass magwell and a 23 round mag. It gets fairly bottom heavy.

I thought this would be a problem, but once I really did a lot of work on my Limited 34 it wasn't a huge issue for me.

I have the Dawson brass magwell and a 23 round mag. It gets fairly bottom heavy.

Yeah I would say if I did it again,

Glock 17/34 slide with slide cuts anywhere from 12-9lb recoil spring

SJC 90 degree

SJC 11 port

40 cal spring loaded bearing

your choice of trigger/magwell (heavy brass one)

KKM barrel that's been throated long

Autocomp with 115s/124. 1.160-1.145 coal

And forget about it, that glock will run.

Only thing I noticed after 10k of 176 PF

My slide was getting a little more slop.

Also the TF 170mm pads, work just fine you can

Get 27-28 all day long no tuning, slap'em on and run

For the comp I would use loctite 620 the green "sho-nuff"

Kind or your comp will just get loose

Once again just from what I have found that works

For the little open glock experiences I had

And I would reiterate go 2011.

Hope that helps.

Edit: use a OEM striker spring and use federal primers

Edited by aaronsdmf

Much cheaper than an STI-based gun and I don't think I was giving up much with my SJC built gun. You can buy the kits and assemble something close to what SJC builds, but you won't get all the work, such as slide tightening, which is pretty scary to do yourself for fear of cracking them. Mine ran well with regular Glock mags with Arredondo basepad kits. Nice to have a gun that runs without spending big bucks on tuning mags. The only downsides were the trigger not being quite as nice as a STI/SVI and the grip angle, if you can't get used to it.

So I was planning on building one on my own like is being talked about here. My biggest question is two fold: am I really giving up anything shooting a lone wolf barrel vs a kkm or storm lake or something fancy, and is the carver 4 (10?) Port comp as effective as the SJC 11? I don't really like the look of the sjc, but if it is miles better then I suppose I can deal with it....

Thanks in advamce!

Edited by Gooldylocks

So I was planning on building one on my own like is being talked about here. My biggest question is two fold: am I really giving up anything shooting a lone wolf barrel vs a kkm or storm lake or something fancy, and is the carver 4 (10?) Port comp as effective as the SJC 11? I don't really like the look of the sjc, but if it is miles better then I suppose I can deal with it....

Thanks in advamce!

I wondered the same thing. I decided that most likely I would notice a differance in accuracy between wolf and kkm. And there doesn't look to be that much difference between there comps. So I went with a wolf/carver set up. Saved me 100, to put toward something else. I can't say if it was the right call, as I haven't finished yet.

I'm now trying to decide between a SJC mount with or with out a frame weight, or a carver mount. I can't decide, my holster will work with either, so that isn't a issue.