Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Girsan 312 - building for 3gun

I picked up a new Girsan 312 with a 26" barrel Saturday morning that I will be using as a base to modify for 3gun. The SG is a M2 clone, kinda. How exact I can't say without having an actual M2 here to compare with. I had plans to buy a Stoeger M3000 and then send it to MOA Precision for the complete package but I got a great deal on the Girsan and decided to march to a different drummer.

Every review I have read has had good things to say about the functionality of this gun. After getting mine out of the box and doing a thorough visual inspection I can say that the finish is not up to the standards of a Benelli or Remington but it seems mechanically sound. My complaint is an odd bit of finish on the left side of the receiver. It looks like it's had spray paint applied just to the "Girsan" stamping and the serial number. Maybe I can get it off of there.

Of course I immediately took it too the range (my Mom's farm) and put 20 rounds of hot reloads (for ducks) through it. The recoil is stiff but not as much as my 590A1 or my High Standard pump. After the reloads were gone I proceeded to dump 100 rounds of Federal target load (1 1/8 oz, 3 dram, 7.5 shot) out the muzzle. Not a single failure to fire, extract or eject. As long as I did my part it would dust the clays my son was pitching out there.

There is a nice high viz fiber optic front sight at the end of the ventilated rib. Target acquisition was quick. The gun swings nicely and at around 7 pounds feels light in my hands. I haven't had a chance to pattern the 5 chokes that came with it. That will come next weekend along with some slug tests.

I couldn't find any info about which magazine extension, if any, will fit. I'm just going to order a Nordic +6 for the M2 and hope it fits. If not I'll have to try some of the other nuts that NC offers. Worst case scenario is I have to get a custom nut made. I'm okay with that.

Sometime between now and my next trip to the range I will be doing some work to the loading port. Nothing to aggressive for now. I'll post pics soon and add more as work progresses. If anyone has any experience with this model feel free to share.

cheers,

James

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, I have put over 300 rounds through the MC312 so far. Mostly Wally World Federal target loads. No failures yet. Today I sent some slugs through it to get an idea of POI/POA and the results were good. At 25m it put four Remington 1 oz. managed recoil rifled slugs into a 2" group with two in the same hole. The first shot was my typical flyer, which I do, regardless which gun is in my hands. (I need to work on that) Here are a couple of pics.

post-54701-0-32548600-1407112232_thumb.j

post-54701-0-47218400-1407112241_thumb.j

post-54701-0-27606600-1407112248_thumb.j

I spoke to Tom at MOA Precision and as soon as time and funds allow it is getting sent to him for feed port work and a couple of minor tweaks. All in all, I'm really pleased with this SG.

I'm back from the "range" (Mom's farm) with some happy news.

I didn't like the drop on the MC312 so I put in a shim. It was the 64mm drop shim for the Benelli M1. Although not a perfect fit it is fully functional and now the SG shoulders exactly how I like it.

I ran some Remington Managed Recoil rifled slugs through it and got very nice groups no larger than 3" @ 25 yards.

post-54701-0-78892800-1407639788_thumb.jpost-54701-0-15805000-1407639803_thumb.j

Now I'm waiting on a couple of boxes of Federal Top Gun® Target - Subsonic to come in for reliability testing.

• 4 months later...

I put a Nordic +7 with a +1 cap for a total of 12 in the tube. The SuperNova tube is the one to get. Went right on, no problems. I also put in a Nordic follower and welded the lifter. I added some Truglow fiberoptic ghostring sights and itll put a slug inside a 8 inch plate from point blank to 85 yards if i can my part. I haven't worked on the loading port yet. I'll put up some pics when I get to my home computer.

I've put nearly a thousand rounds through it so far and it eats everything. Walmart Federal or Winchester birdshot and Remington low recoil slugs are what I've shot the most, just because they're cheap and locally available. Overall I've been very pleased and considering I've got under $600 invested I couldn't be happier.

I put a Nordic +7 with a +1 cap for a total of 12 in the tube. The SuperNova tube is the one to get. Went right on, no problems. I also put in a Nordic follower and welded the lifter. I added some Truglow fiberoptic ghostring sights and it'll put a slug inside a 8 inch plate from point blank to 85 yards if i do my part. I haven't worked on the loading port yet. I'll put up some pics when I get to my home computer.

I've put nearly a thousand rounds through it so far and it eats everything. Walmart Federal or Winchester birdshot and Remington low recoil slugs are what I've shot the most, just because they're cheap and locally available. Overall I've been very pleased and considering I've got under $600 invested I couldn't be happier.

I just purchased one for 310$!! Couldn't pass it up for that price brand new. Glad to hear good things about it. Hope others buy it too so that we can figure things out together... I should have it in the next week or so. Maybe for Xmas..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

I just picked up my MC312 last night..... sure enough it snows today. Too cold to go out shooting outside this weekend.

Having said that, I'm surprised at the quality of the firearm. For a 310$ semi-automatic shotty, it's seems exceedingly well made. I'm not finding any horrible machining marks or other things that signify bad quality........except one. My front fiber optic sight seems little off center.....

The bolt cycles nicely. Trigger seems about 4+ lb ? Breaks nice too, which I wasn't expecting. I like the slimmer foregrip compared to M3000, which I understand has the inertia system in there.

One bad surprise was that my warranty paper that came in the package indicates 1 year warranty. I've read that it was being updated to 5 year warranty to match other competitors in the industry, so that was a bit of a disappointment. I've sent an email to Girsan to confirm the warranty period AND to ask where I can get an extra foregrip and maybe a shorter barrel.

Will update with more info AND pics when I have time.

Have a nice weekend all.

Ken.

Congrats! All you need now is a Nordic tube, I recommend a +8 for a 12 shot tube. Get the Nordic universal follower also. You will have to trim a little off the end of the mag tube where it isn't threaded. I used a dremel but would suggest getting a tube cutter from the hardware store. You might think about a rear sight for slugs. I'm also changing the bolt handle. The stock one chews up my hand when clearing a jam or manually cycling it quickly. Just about anything for a Benelli should work.

Most important of all, shoot the crap out of it. The more I shot mine the better it ran. Have fun and enjoy!

tube cutter - http://www.harborfreight.com/tubing-cutter-40913.html

here are the sights I put on mine, I used the ghost ring - http://www.truglo.com/firearms-turkey/tru-bead-turkey-universal-dual-color.asp?catid=F41C40D155E44609874F4225CB2A7EC2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I tried to order barrels for the tactical version, but having a hard time finding a vendor that will order for me. buds won't do it, or at least the guy I was talking to had no idea if they can order one. I email one other supplier that I can't remember and didn't get a response either. I love the gun. Not likening the part availability.

I got one to give it a try and have had good luck with it. Just trimmed the mag tube and added a tube to make it 12+1 and am running it as is without welding the lifter or doing the port I figured for the money, it was worth a shot

• 2 years later...

I know it's old news, but thanks for this post.  Great information on the Girsan.  Been looking for a budget shotty for my 2-3 times a year I do 3Gun and this one has gotten great reviews everywhere I have read.  I love my Turkish Canik pistol, so I figured I'd give their scattergun a shot.

Found a great deal on a Carbon-fiber painted one, now I just have to wait for the FFL xfer...