Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

"Gunslingers" - good or Nono?

jayjay1

Hey folks,
how do you think about the term "gunslinger"?
Is this a bad or negative word in your opinion?

The story why I ask:
We, a couple of German IPSC - shooters, want to build a new shooting team.

So we want also make our own shirt and are searching for a team name.

I know the term "gunslinger" from the old Western movies and so on, and the German word for that might be Revolverheld (revolver hero) for example.

But one of our team members said, that "gunslingers" is kind of a negative term in the USA, like gangster or something like that.
Well, we don´t want to call ourselves gangsters, so I´m just asking.

How do you guys think about that term "gunslinger"?

Good idea or not?

Response would be great,
Jay

I think it is an excellent name for a shooting squad / team. :cheers:

I believe you will be well received at a shooting range, match, gun show, NRA national convention and the like. However, if you plan to finance your shooting team by selling cookies in front of the local drug store, wearing your shirts . . . forget-about-it!

To me gunslinger has an image of wild and reckless, unpredictable behavior. I don't care if someone has a shooting team with that name, to me it is harmless fun. But I think it might be a little scary for any people that don't know about competition with strict safety rules. I think not many sponsors would welcome that image.

Revolver Hero is much better though. That sounds more like a good guy than an outlaw.

I think it is pretty cool. Reminds me of old western movies when I was growing up and my grandfather use to love them. Being a former cop and having a teenager, I have never heard that term being associated with modern day gangsters. I think you should go with it or the revolver hero name, both are cool.

Yep, it conjures up an image of the old west gunslinger for me. I guess similar to samurai, cavalrymen, knights - occupations that don't really exist today. I wouldn't see 'Gunslingers' as a negative team name, puts it a bit more into the Single Action Shooting Sports (SASS) realm.

I've never seen the word used in a negative light either. For many of us it's associated with the Old Wild West and is more nostalgic than anything.

On the other hand, the deputies at the Jail call me "Sharpshooter" once they found out I was a gun owner and former competitor. :devil:

I've never seen the word used in a negative light either. For many of us it's associated with the Old Wild West and is more nostalgic than anything.

On the other hand, the deputies at the Jail call me "Sharpshooter" once they found out I was a gun owner and former competitor. :devil:

Why "former" competitor?

Here in the USA, I have not known of it being used negatively. Like others have said, it conjures up images of the old American west to me. I am glad that your new club is thinking about the impact of your name though. I was in Germany six years ago and the club where I shot a match discouraged me from videoing because they were afraid that some politician would get ahold of the video somehow and use it to portray shooting in a negative way. They told me that they were very fortunate to be able to shoot IPSC and didn't want to do anything to get it taken away from them. I wish you great success with your new club.

Hurley

Hey folks!

Thank you for your great feedback!

Good to know that, because knowing the words doesn´t imply knowing the meaning in some falls.

I´ve learned that about the term "public viewing" for example.

If you would visit Germany and your German friends would take you to a public viewing in the evening you might wonder about maybe.

Well, we Germans are a little crazy somehow sometimes I guess.

:blush:

@Hurley:

Yes, you are defintely right, it was a big fortune that IPSC was allowed in Germany.

And after every election the Sportshooters over here fear what might come (red and green would be our greatest disaster).

So it is true, that we try to keep our dynamic shooting as less public as possible.

For example: you won´t find much German IPSC videos in the internet.

But we will do as long as possible.

The term gunslinger doesn´t exist really over here, I think that most of the English speaking Germans don´t know it, so I´m pretty sure, that this wouldn´t make trouble over here.

And we definetely won´t wear those shirts anywhere else than on matches, having a "tame" club shirts anyway.

Why I´m asking is, that we didn´t want to affront our international shooting friends, especially the US folks like you.

Thanks again,

Jay

:cheers:

Edited by jayjay1

• 2 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 years later...
On 7/26/2014 at 7:39 AM, jayjay1 said:

Hey folks,
how do you think about the term "gunslinger"?
Is this a bad or negative word in your opinion?

The story why I ask:
We, a couple of German IPSC - shooters, want to build a new shooting team.

So we want also make our own shirt and are searching for a team name.

I know the term "gunslinger" from the old Western movies and so on, and the German word for that might be Revolverheld (revolver hero) for example.

But one of our team members said, that "gunslingers" is kind of a negative term in the USA, like gangster or something like that.
Well, we don´t want to call ourselves gangsters, so I´m just asking.

How do you guys think about that term "gunslinger"?

Good idea or not?

Response would be great,
Jay

Teutonic Gunslingers 

Einsatzgruppen (sp)

Killers from Kehl

German humour has always been most lacking.