Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Powder recommendations for 223

Nimitz

I'm slowly coming up with everything I need to reload 223 so it's time to start looking at powders. A local gun shop has a bunch of rifle powders but I have no clue where to begin. Can someone recommend several powders that will work for use under a 55g bullet? Distances will be at 100 yds and in for the time being. The ammo will be used for local 3-gun matches so I'm not exactly looking to be able to hit a quarter at 200 yds either ..... Thx

Edited by Nimitz

Varget, AA2230, Benchmark, RE-15, BLC-2, W748, 4895, H322, RE-7, VV N133, VV N135, 3031, 4198 will all work as well...in this festive period, it sort of boils down to what you can actually find..!

Edited by n2ipsc

Cfe 223 is awesome with Hornady 55gr FMJ-BT's. Win748 is pretty good as well. I like to save Tac and Varget for heavier bullets.

Edit to add: not that Tac and Varget aren't good for 55's! I just want to save my supply of them for heavy bullets! :)

Edited by trodrig

The best powder right now are the ones that are available.

I can recommend Benchmark for 55's

http://www.recobstargetshop.com/browse.cfm/4,114.html

And H4895 for heavies and 55's

http://www.recobstargetshop.com/browse.cfm/4,247.html

You can also try H322.

http://www.recobstargetshop.com/browse.cfm/4,229.html

Available RIGHT NOW. DON'T HESITATE.

I believe one of the best choices available that no one mentioned yet is IMR 8208 XBR. Meters great, very consistent, very good accuracy, temperature stable and can be used on a wide variety of bullet weights.

Varget, AA2230, Benchmark, RE-15, BLC-2, W748, 4895, H322, RE-7, VV N133, VV N135, 3031, 4198 will all work as well...in this festive period, it sort of boils down to what you can actually find..!

Would you share how many grains of Benchmark and AA2230 you use?

Most of these powders use very similar charge weights, but what is best for one gun/shooter/bullet may need to be tweaked for the next guy. And, you're going to need different charge weights for a 50gr pill vs. a 75gr or 77gr. Anyone's info here is just a starting place. And, a quick Google search (if forum search fails) will yield the info you've asked for. Just remember that published data is what you can/should be using to get started.

Pretty sure Benchmark has a load on the can.

Edited by wgj3

Agree but the OP asked a question about 55 grain bullets specifically and most manufactures recommended loads are tested on a 22 inch barrel that almost nobody uses for 3 gun. I was just asking for somebody to share their pet load to save me time to have to experiment with different loads and have to chrono them. Here I'll share mine and they work great on a 16 inch barrel 1/9 twist

Vithavouri N530 23 grains or Winchester 748 25.5 grains with a Hornady 55 grain BTWC average 2950 fps I just can't find VV N530 or Winchester 748 anywhere!!

My current load for 100yrd stuff is 55 grn hornady bulk over 24.5 grn x-terminater with Cci #41 at 2.245 COAL. It shoots at 3000 fps out of my 18" 1/8 and just as accurate as my long range 77 Sierra's without having to weigh each charge.

8208XBR is great under a 55, and I'm having excellent results with AR-Comp - although it is a little slow for a 55 grain bullet in general. Benchmark and 2230 are excellent choices. I recently ran through 4 lbs of 8208XBR - when it shows up again I will buy more. :)

• 1 month later...

Good thing is there are many powders out there that will work. I'll echo some others in that I am really liking 8208XBR. It acts almost like a short cut stick version of TAC. Works with a wide range of bullet weights and can generate MK262 velocities in a 5.56 chamber going a little over .223 book max.

Others that have not been mentioned:

Alliant r10x- short cut stick powder for light bullets. I like it with 55gr, but the book max will only get me to 2850 in an 18"

Alliant PP 1200R- ball version of the above

Alliant 2000mr- Ball version of R15. Good for 69gr and up.

IMR 4064- OK with heavy bullets, but not great. Frustrating to meter.

Alliant Reloder 15- Good for heavy bullets.

Like the OP I'm new to reloading .223. I have successfully got thru my first sets of reloads. I used 1x shot 5.56 American Eagle Nato Brass, military crimps removed. I used H335 and a Hornady 55grn FMJ bullet and CCI primers. All pretty sandard safe stuff and a lot of info on this. I trimmed to 1.75 and set my OAL at 2.25 (they came out slighly under at about 2.246 to 2.247.

This was shot thru an 18" barrel with a 1/8 twist, Wylde chamber.I don't have the data here but this is what I remember

starting load 23 grns=abt 2800 to 2900 fps +-1.3%

second load 24 grns=abt 2900 to 3050 fps+-1.2%

American Eagle Factory 5.56 NATO abt 3300 +-0.8% (factory box says 3150 fps)