Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Support index finger in front of trigger guard?

ES13Raven

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I tried something this weekend. I shoot a few guns. One is a tanfoglio stock II. I don't do it on this gun and it doesn't feel right when I try it. This weekend I was shooting a mates eric custom tanfoglio (tanfog open gun). It has the same frame as my stock II, but being an open gun has a thumb rest. With my weak hand thumb pushing forward and down on the thumb rest, putting my weakhand index finger around the front of the trigger guard felt very natural and basically gave stronger control over the gun with the finger pulling back and a little upwards and the thumb of that same hand pushing forwards and down. It seemed to work really nicely.

So i'd suggest that when shooting new gun, don't assume your stock standard grip works the same on every gun. Just like a revolver grip doesn't work the best on a semi (extreme example I know). It's something I'll probably never do on my production gun, but when I shoot more open I'll be trying it again.

I watched Jerry's video a couple of weeks ago. When he mentions putting the support finger on the trigger guard he made a couple of points I missed the first time I watched it that I think are key to using that grip:

1. He said "if you have large enough hands". I have small hands, so it is real reach for me to get my finger on there.

2. He also said "you have to use skate board tape or something like it to get a grip and keep your finger on there". I tried it with some tape, but again it didn't work for me because of the small hand size.

I shoot with a guy that uses the finger in front of the trigger guard, but he has long fingers and can easily palm a basketball. When he grips his pistol it just about disappears.

Just as a follow up I was watching "Hot Shots" tonight on the sportsman's channel. There was Jerry shooting a USPSA stage and using the finger on the front of the trigger guard. I think it is the introduction to the show and only shows him for a couple of seconds but you can see it.

Just as a follow up I was watching "Hot Shots" tonight on the sportsman's channel. There was Jerry shooting a USPSA stage and using the finger on the front of the trigger guard. I think it is the introduction to the show and only shows him for a couple of seconds but you can see it.

Check the video on tho previous page. Jerry talks about it.

I use the groove as I get out to 25 yards +. Learned this trick from a former F.A.S.T. guy. Good stuff, helps me stabilize my weapon, since I tend to overgrip with my strong hand during timed qualifications (been in law enforcement for awhile). I find this technique to be quick fix when under pressure, i.e. competition.

Now, here's something cool. Ever wonder who came up with this design? My reading points to Paris Theodore--creator of the ASP handgun. This story is that this design feature came about in/near 1970, but wasn't patented...? Below is an excerpt from one of several sites that state:

"Another striking feature of the ASP was its uniquely shaped triggerguard. The standard triggerguard was cut, and a hooked extension was heliarc-welded onto the pistol using a comparable alloy. The design was patented as a “forefinger pocket” and aided in a finger-forward, two-handed grip. For improved access, the forward half of the triggerguard was reduced in width by 50 percent—a change that tailored to right- and left-handed shooters." (found this excerpt at personaldefenseworld. Not enough posts yet to post up link)

I have shot both ways, i can say I am a touch more stable with infront of the guard, but normally when I address the pistol, i don't do that.

Recently I have been shooting a lot more left handed, so I might try to throw some time into this technique as well.

• 1 month later...

It doesn't work for me and we don't teach it at our club. But it does work for some (obviously ).If you have your weak hand really "cammed" towards the ground you can't get that finger up onto the trigger gaurd. That for me, works better with recoil control.

What it really comes down to is, what works for you. The index finger on the trigger guard doesn't work fo me BUT I've seen too many good to outstanding shooters use the index finger/trigger guard technique and tear up the targets. If it works...use it...If it doesn't work...try something else.

"What works for you" is always a good, safe reply.

Myself, I do not prefer this method. My illustration is this, if you are sitting at a table while using your computer, reach down with your hand, keeping all your four fingers close to gather and squeeze the edge of the table/desk. Now move your index finger away from your other three fingers and squeeze again. With the index finger at a different angle, your muscle group in forearm are not contracting at the same rate. As I do it, my index finger is not working as strong as they are side by side on a conventional grip, griping all at the same pressure.

***g****

Anyone shoot with their support index finger in front of the trigger guard?

Jerry Miculek recommends doing it at the 11:28 mark:

Tried it for a couple of matches and I feel more comfortable with that grip, am able to get a faster sight picture and have faster splits. I'm shooting limited with an STI Edge

• 1 month later...

I'm self-taught, and I have been shooting with my weak-hand finger on the trigger guard for several years. I've found that my weak-hand grip angle is much more comfortable for my wrist with my finger out on the trigger guard. However, when I shoot polymer pistols (PPQ, XDm), I've found it's hard to keep my finger in place - so I only do it for my metal-framed CZ & Tanfo.

I wonder if this grip would lend it self to the muzzle nose-diving when the slide returns, or if it provides a more stable platform for the pistol to return to, or is entirely neutral in that regard. Muzzle flip doesn't bother me. I'm more worried about where the muzzle stops when it comes back down.