Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

RL 550 B Roller Handle Poll

Almost daily I have to explain (to a customer) that although I never used the Roller Handle for the 550, many that I talk to on the phone love it, and that same vibe is reported on the forum as well. So forgetting whether or not you prefer the plastic or the aluminum Roller Handle - if you initially used the factory ball handle for the 550, but then later purchased a Roller Handle - did you find it a worthwhile improvement. And if you care to comment, why?

thanks,

be

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dillon should make the roller handle a stock feature, period. The ball-end handle is a joke. People that only load 100 rounds in a session will probably never care. As soon as you hit the 45 minute mark, the roller handle is a godsend.

My only request is that Dillon grind wrench flats at the base of the roller handle to make it easier to cinch down.

Brian, although I voted yes, I actually made the roller handle myself. I prefer the roller handle because after loading several hundred rounds with the ball the web between my fingers would be raw to the point of bleeding. The roller handle eliminated that problem. I do have a "real Dillon" roller handle on 650.

I think both EricW & Newguy hit the nail on the head.... A few rounds with the ballhead is fine but after a while your hand cramps or get really sore - or both.

Can you say ergonomics?

I have the roller handle on both my 550s - purchased from our host I might add.

And as I think about it I believe Brian asked this question when I ordered mine.....

I used the ballhead handle for "Several" thousand rounds. I purchased the roller handle upon the advise of a friend who has one. I do not lube my cases before loading and the apparent effort of the "stroke"seems reduced by over 50% with the roller handle.

I am a believer!

Brian tried to talk me into one ;) , but I already knew I wanted one!

Brian, thanks for ALL of your HELP getting me up and running!

In case any of yohaahve not ordered from Brian, he is AWESOME. I had a major SNAFU, and Brian seriously took care of me, even though it was my mistake.

I am a customer for life, hope you guys support our host too!

Thanks again Brian!!!!!

I have the roller handle on my new 550. I tried the ball handle but didn't like the ergonmics.

As much as everyone here respects Dillon, I think they charge a little too much for the handle and the various accessories. They should make it a stock item.

I did buy them from Brian. Service was topnotch.

I guess I'm the oddball. I've got the ball handle on a 550 and I never have felt the urge for the roller. I've even had extended reloading sessions in one day, like 3000 or so rds and never felt like I needed the roller. This is one of those incredibly subjective issues I guess.

I also just have the stock ball on my 550. Just last week I did about 1000 rounds one night and it never bothered me. I did think about how it might help to have the roller handle, but it didn't hurt my hand like it seems to do to some people.

Used my 550 for over ten years without a roller handle and never thought there was a problem. Now that I have the roller handle I would not go back to the ball handle if you paid me to.

The strong mount and the bullet tray have also improved my loading process. Once again though, I didn’t know what I was really missing until I got them.

--

Regards,

Standard ball on my 550 and I plan on keeping it that way. I thought about switching to the roller handle but I think that it would be better suited to a machine with an automatic case feeder. It seems that it would be easier to grab the ball end after manually inserting the new case, as opposed to the roller handle.

I have the ball. I pad it, though, with a rag in the palm of the hand - primer seating on the SDB I have is at the end of the upstroke, and my palm gets sore after a long reloading session. I don't know if the roller handle would make a difference for that.

I have a ball on the 550 and never have any problems. I had a roller handle on the 650and after the first 1000 rounds or so my elbow felt like someone was sticking a knife into it. I discovered I was letting my wrist roll back at the bottom of the sroke. The Dr. called it Tennis Elbow.

Two bottles of Celebrex, a week of phys. therapy, 5 months and a new bottle of Glucosamine Condroiten and it's almost back to normal.

OBTW, I put the Ball back on :D

just my experience

dj

Tried the ball. Didn't like it. Left blisters in my palm. Put an old sock over the ball held on with duct tape. Much improved but still......

Upgraded the 550 with the strong mount and bullet tray when I built my new bench. When I ordered, Brian mentioned that there was a new item that hadn't made the web site yet, a brass bin. Oh heck, throw that in too, and while you're at it one of those roller handle thingys with the metal roller.

The strong mount, bullet tray, and brass bin are nice additions. Speeds up the loading process by economy of motion. The roller handle however ...whoohoo. No more blisters. No more sore arms after long reloading sessions. Well worth the money for me.

People who order a new press ought to have the choice of ball or roller as a no charge option.

While I've never used a 550, the Square Deal Bs I used to reload on had a ball handle. The two biggest improvements when I switched to the 650 were the case feeder and the roller handle --- and if I could have only one, I'm pretty sure I'd pick the handle....

I have used both the roller and the ball. Have thought about putting the ball back on because letting the ball roll in my hand during both strokes was very comfortable. Holding on to the roller keeps a little more tension in my wrist and the arc of the stroke is a little different. After the initial blisters and callouses, neither one hurts my hand.

Liota

The roller handle should be standard equipment on all of Dillon presses. Before getting the roller handle 300-400 rounds was about all I wanted to do at a time. After getting the handle I could go for 1000 rounds or more at a time. It is well worth the money.

I was just explaining about the roller handle to a friend recently. :)

I told him that's the part of the press that he is actually holding/handling all the time while he is reloading. I feel one can skim on other features of a Dillon but a aluminum roller handle is a "Must have".

Thanks for the massive feedback everyone!

People who order a new press ought to have the choice of ball or roller as a no charge option.

You might not be able to guess how many times I've heard that. ;) A couple years ago, I asked the sales manager the same thing. His answer was that the Roller Handle was a fairly pricey unit compared to the ball handle, which they have about $2.50 in (cost). So, there's no way that's ever going to happen.

And on the subject of "overpriced accessories/machine options," my feeling, and this is just my opinion and does not in any way have anything to do with Dillon's marketing strategy, is that they do everything they can to keep the initial price of the machine as low as possible, with the hope of recovering a little profit with the sale of accessories. Really, the 650 "should be" sold with the Casefeeder, Roller Handle, Strong Mount, and Bullet Tray; however, after selling their products for several years, I do feel that would reduce the 650's sales.

be

Price out the tooling dollars Dillon coughs up to build its products and you'll wonder how they make it all so cheap.

It all seems "overpriced" until you're the guy writing the 20, 50 and 100 thousand dollar checks to launch new products.