Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

A7 2005

Chriss Grube

Chriss,

It's not a typo, though last year there was quite a few things raffled off to the shooters, who each got a ticket at sign-in. Even if there were no prizes at all, I'd hate to miss the match. Last year in MA, that crew put on one of the better matches I've shot all year, 8 great stage designs, with the best props I've ever seen! One of the best parts, all 8 stages were shot in a half-day format.

We will be keeping the "all in a half day" format.

There will be some prizes - even if you try to run a match without prizes, there are some sponsors who come out of the woodwork with offers for Area Championships. By not advertising it as prize match, the match staff is not under pressure to procude any particular quality of prizes, and is not making any representation as to payout methodology. So, if you are a vendor just aching to donate something to the match, contact the match director Bob Urban and his assistant Mike Coke at a7md@uspsa.org.

$100 doesn't go as far as one would think when you consider:

- Purchase of new prop materials

- Some of the staff will shoot for free. I don't know the details, but my understanding is that this is going to be limited to those people who spend their entire weekend at the range making it happen - which will be a considerable number of workers.

- Possible granting of complimentary shoots to major donors

- Rental of 4 portable outhouses

- Misc expenses: Carbonless scoresheets will run a couple hundred $$; postage for mailing of confirmation letters; money for a couple more Palms for scoring; rental of golf carts or 4 wheelers for the RM and stats runner; purchase of a few more FRS radios; shelters for stages which do not have them (the club has enough shelters for all their local matches so this is a true "area championship" driven expense)

- Air conditioning, wide screen TV, food and furnishings for the staff lounge (just kidding)

- $5.00 per shooter mission count fee to USPSA ("tournament'" level match)

Finding a club whch has the facilites, people and skill to host a quality area championship is not always easy. I personally hope that the club makes enough $$ on this event that they won't be able to imagine not exercising their renewal option for 2006. Any money made will not enrich a few select people, but will go to a gun club and it's USPSA/IPSC committee to further their joint mission of giving people a great place to shoot.

Could they have done it "on the cheap" for a few dollars yes? Probably. Would it be worth using that approach if the consequence was watching the nickles and dimes when the prop crew heads out to the lumber yard, when the stats person is choosing between plain and carbonless two part forms for scoresheets, or when they are trying to figure out if they should have 2 or 4 rest rooms on the range? My conclusion is "No."

As Area Director, it is my responsibility to do everything I can to help make this match a success. I'm not the one choosing prize policy, match fee, etc. - but I share the blame if any of those decisions turn out to be "wrong" since I am in regular contact with the match directors, and have ample opportunity to object if I see anything done which I feel will hurt the match.

We have a great match team in place, and I am very confident the match will be worth the $100 entry fee.

:

$100 doesn't go as far as one would think when you consider:

-

- - Air conditioning, wide screen TV, food and furnishings for the staff lounge (just kidding)

-

I say give them all 1 fan to share and a bag of Cheetos. Maybe an AM radio if they are good. B):DB)

I don't think $100 is too hateful considering the cost of EVERYTHING else on the east coast.

I'm happy that Rochester Brooks Practical Shooters was willing to put on the match...it wasn't clear a few months ago if ANY club in New York would be willing to host the match.

Thanks to Rob and all the gang at RBPS for all your efforts. ;)

I'm happy that Rochester Brooks Practical Shooters was willing to put on the match...it wasn't clear a few months ago if ANY club in New York would be willing to host the match. The good news is that although they were the only candidate, they have a lot of talent and are up to the task.

Thanks to Rob and all the gang at RBPS for all your efforts.  ;)

Chuck hit the nail on the head - there were NO other clubs applying for the 2005 A7 event. None. So, when I met the staff in Rochester a few weeks ago, I was too busy thanking them to even think about trying to beat them up a few dollars on the fee. If they start worrying about covering expenses while leaving some $$ to keep the host club happy (Rochester Brooks is not just a USPSA club), the quality of the match would suffer.

I wonder how many of the people who complain about the match fee stepped up and told their Area Director "I have a facility to host a major match, I will get you all the staff, I will arrange construction of all props using mostly new wood, and I will obtain approval of the host club for a token fee, I will provide all supplies, will pay the $5 mission count fee, and will do this for a very low price".

If you have done that, and deliver an Area 7 quality tournament for significantly less, you have my congratulations and admiration. If you haven't stepped forward with such an offer, combined with the ability to deliver on it, all you are bringing to the table is talk.

Area 7 has always hovered around 200 shooters, which I attribute more to geography than small differences in match fees - there was no historical spike in attendance the years A7 was run as a "prize match."

I just don't want to see the mess from a couple years ago where the same club raised the 3 gun fee to 100 bucks and nobody showed up. Same thing happened to the NY state match and it got canceled. I think it is just getting a little out of hand with some of the prices. Area 8 has been a 100 bucks for the last few years but they run 11-12 stages, prizes and cash payback. If they can do all that and the club still got a nice chunk, where is all the other money going ?