Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Major/minor at nationals

Anyone here at nationals? It looks like minor won out over major. A lot of minor shooters at the top of the overall. Did it favor the 8-shots? The round counts looked low on most stages.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone here at nationals? It looks like minor won out over major. A lot of minor shooters at the top of the overall. Did it favor the 8-shots? The round counts looked low on most stages.

The round count/points were identical to the single stack match. What do you think? 8 shot arrays? I wonder if they even moved the targets.

As to the 625 being dead, if it is not viable at an exclusively revolver match, it won't be at matches where revolver equality is not even a thought. Shannon Smith and Matt Griffin are top performers and their results speak for themselves.

Revolver now needs two sub classes

Edited by underlug

The round count/points were identical to the single stack match. What do you think? 8 shot arrays? I wonder if they even moved the targets.

As to the 625 being dead, if it is not viable at an exclusively revolver match, it won't be at matches where revolver equality is not even a thought. Shannon Smith and Matt Griffin are top performers and their results speak for themselves.

Why?

Seriously, I don't see the need to keep 6 shot viable (and realistically, just the 625) if indeed is isn't. Very few people enjoyed shooting USPSA with a 6 shot revolver but now I'm seeing increased participation in revolver at local matches.

For those few who feel that the weird mental math puzzle gymnastics required to shoot a 6 shot revolver in an average match are what defines Revolver Division, all I can say is that your approach wasn't bringing new revo shooters into a dying division but 8 shot minor is.

It looks like the 625 is now obsolete

No major guns in the Top 20. Looks like capacity rules.

And not a single person predicted this would be the outcome. Oh wait..............

I kinda wish more top shooters would have shot Major. Doing a quick scan down the top 50 shooters, I see only one GM entered Major.

I didn't count how many M class guys shot Major. But I see the M class fifth place finisher shot Major (and that ain't bad).

Does that mean Major is still viable? Probably/maybe not. Having to perform an extra reload or two is a lot to overcome.

But it would be nice to see a better balance of Maj/Min shooters. Wouldn't it be a better indicator?

I bet we'll see many more opinions in the days to come!

There are a couple reasons more of us shot minor 8 than major 6. First , it was easier. Less thinking and figuring how to make it work and second, it was better. There are places where having an extra shot or two could save the day.

On another note , no one I talked to at the match shooting minor was lamenting the fact. They seem to want to shoot that gun. Many shooting major wished they had. Matt had troubles so the most viable major proponent wasn't able to really make a case for the platform.

Huh? I counted 3 in the top 20; Shannon Smith in 8th, Kenneth Ortbach at lucky 13 and Evgueni Koulechov in 19th. What I found interesting was the big gap to the next one, Steve Sweeney was the #4 major shooter in 40th. Beyond that things seem pretty even. Is this a matter of many of the better competitors simply being dedicated enough to revolvers to already have an 8 shot?

I'm seeing one major gun in the top 21. There are two links to revo national results, the 2nd one has a post time of 8:03 PM so I assume it's final?

The 625 is officially a relic...

Edited by Shadowrider

Have any of you guys considered the possibility that it's the Top 20 shooters who rule? ;)

If you forced the Top 20 shooters to compete with 625s, and let everybody else shoot their 8-shots, how many of them do you think would drop out of the Top 20?

There's no doubt this match favored the 8-shot, but not as much as everybody is making it sound.