Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CFE Pistol load data advice (noob)

3djedi

I recently acquired some CFE Pistol but need some advice as to what you think a good and safe charge range would be for a MontanaGold 124g JHP.

I have found a couple of different load data sets for these bullets:

125gr Sierra FMJ OAL 1.090" (.355 diameter)

max 5.1gr 1118fps 33,000psi (reduce by 10% to start)

124gr BERB HBRN TP (.356 diameter) OAL 1.150"

4.9 - 5.5gr

like I said it is for the MG 124g JHP which has a diameter of .355" ( I don't know if .356 dia would make a significant difference in pressures ). I will be starting with an OAL of about 1.120" as this works pretty good with this bullet and other powders in my gun.

If it were you, how would you proceed? Thanks!

CFE pistol has only become available for purchase in the last week, so as you probably know there is not a lot of data other than the published and it may take a while.

I'll be working up my own loads this week with xtreme 124FP.

You have't said what power factor you're looking for, but I would do a ladder with the starting FMJ load at the Hogdon recommended 4.6, 4.8 and 5.0 and chrono and shoot for accuracy/power factor to find what you want/like/functions well just like any other work up. Your results are going to depend on what your gun likes, barrel length/tightness etc. etc.

Look forward to sharing/seeing your data!

Oh sorry. Im looking at a minor PF probably around 130 would be ideal.

I was thinking starting at 4.6 is good advice. I've also sent hodgdon an email asking what they suggest for a 124gr jhp. I'll let you know if they have any suggestions for it.

Thanks!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Edited by 3djedi

Is this actually available anywhere?

Kind of. Graf's had some for an hour or two, so I have a few lbs. Others have mentioned seeing it in their LGS, but guessing it's not lasting long, with or without reloader comments and feedback on it.

@OP

Hodgdon online shows a range of 4.6-5.1gr for that Sierra 125gr FMJ with an OAL of 1.090". With your longer OAL, going to guess you wind up at 4.8-5.0 to make PF, but I'd load some up at 4.6gr, 4.8gr, and 5.0gr @ 1.120 and get out the chrono..

• 1 month later...

I'm curios to find out what everyone thinks of this NEW powder?

How does it meter, cleanliness, recoil, overall thumbs up or down?

tcarp1911, how much did you pay per pound?

I'm curios to find out what everyone thinks of this NEW powder?

How does it meter, cleanliness, recoil, overall thumbs up or down?

tcarp1911, how much did you pay per pound?

From Grafs $25.99/lb plus shipping and Hazmat. I bought 5 lbs and some primers trying to spread out the Hazmat.

I just picked up an 8# jug at my LGS. Out the door for $21.25/lbs. That includes tax. He had at least 3 more 8#ers in stock when I left.

This is the second location I've found CFE Pistol in my area. The other had 4 or 5 1# cans that sold out in a day or two.

Haven't loaded it yet, so can't report on the details except to say it looks like is will meter very well.

Here's the loads I've tested to date..as mentioned up-thread, moving to 4.8gr for my MG loads, but haven't tested those yet.

Click the image to make it more legible...

0AkEtGm.png

It's a bit slower than WSF based on charge weights, (same bullet, temps and OAL, WSF will get me 130PF at 4.6gr), and it meters well. Can't really speak to cleanliness as of yet, as last time out I was chrono-ing multiple powders and new loads, different bullets, etc.