Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

40gr v-max for 3 gun

FireShooter

I have. You will find that in order to maintain even decent function and accuracy, the velocity will be so high that you will significantly increase the heat and barrel wear. I even avoid the 50s and 52s for that reason. I have about 20K 40 grain pulls, and I don't even bother to load them for the ARs anymore since they trash the barrel so fast. They work great in the MVP at about 2500 for a training round and other "things" inside about 100 yards.

That said, you will find the powders like X-Terminator to work the best.

• 3 weeks later...

I have loaded some with 8208 XBR, H335, and IMR 3031. I just used mid-range Hodgdon. data. Despite 40 gr being "too light" for the 18" 1/8 twist barrel I was shooting them from, they still shot very well. I also had no issues with bullets coming apart in flight. If I had to choose a powder I would stick some type of fast ball powder.

I only fired ~100 of them so I cannot comment on the heat/barrel erosion concerns that MarkM has had, although it does make sense.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I bought some sierra seconds of 40g .224 BTs. I loaded them at starting loads with several powders: RL15, varget, 2230 and H335. They all shot well. Recoil is significantly reduced. I'm not sure id like to try knocking down steel at range with them. All this from a 1-8 18" DD barrel.

• 3 years later...

Just got 1k of 40gr noslers free, looking for a good hoser load on paper targets 50 yards and under for our carbine matches...I have a bunch of BLC-2 and 8208. Anyone have a starting point?

Edited by MarkS_A18138

I haven't had any issues with the light bullets even down to 35grs. That said, I am using the rounds with LW carriers and light buffers. I started with my 55gr hoser charge of 19.5grs of H335, but got some failures to fully cycle. For me, I was OK once I got to 21.5-22grs of 335. YMMV...

• 1 month later...

I think MarkCO makes a good point, the other thing that I've heard repeatedly is the difficulty with your long range ammo.  If you get your gas, etc tuned for the light bullets, then you jump up to 69, 77, or whatever the gun will be running quite different, possibly pretty hard.  If you only run bay stages like some of my local ranges, and don't switch ammo, probably not as big a deal as Mark's points.