Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Guide rod all chewed up

katit

Did you replace the recoil spring? It looks like the spring is compressing completely before the slide is all the way back battering the guide rod into the frame (actually the lower barrel lug). Or those are really hot loads that you are running through the gun.

Jason

Edited by kfd147

My Shadow with the stainless guide rod showed some minor wear like that at a few hundred rounds and I replaced it with the stock plastic guide rod and a 13 pound instead of the 11 pound spring. That was a year ago (probably 8000 rounds) and I just replaced it again and it showed no signs of wear.

I am glad I found this thread as my guide rod is looking the same. I couldn't believe that it was supposed to be getting beat up like that. Guess I will order a new one and see what happens.

When my Shadow's guide rod starts getting a little dinged up/ rough around the edges, I know it's time to change the recoil spring. This usually happens between 5,000 and 7,000 rounds (130 PF 9mm ammo). Once I change the recoil spring, it smoothes out until it's time to change again.

From the looks of the guide rod in the picture, it's either "really" old, has a worn out recoil spring and/or the recoil spring is too light for the ammo being used.

This is my experience only and I could be completely wrong here, but I would bet that Blueorb who posted above will start seeing some minor nicks around his guide rod base just pass 5000 rounds. Better be ready with a new recoil spring :)

FYI I use factory 11lb. springs from CZ Custom.

I'm thinking someone made the guide rods from 303 stainless which is a very soft alloy but machines nicely.

In an all metal gun you've got the metal slide recoiling against the metal frame.

The recoil spring and guide rod are the only things in between this recoiling of the frame and slide.

I would assume you would want the metal guide rod to be the "softer" of the metals.

I suppose going back to a plastic guide rod or adding a shock buffer would also cure this condition, but I'm thinking these metal guide rods are working as designed.

I used to go through guide rods like that too, always chewed up like that. I put a new guide rod into the frame just the guide rod, and noticed a significant burr in the frame. I cleaned it up with a round file, and haven't had problems since.

I'm thinking someone made the guide rods from 303 stainless which is a very soft alloy but machines nicely.

In an all metal gun you've got the metal slide recoiling against the metal frame.

The recoil spring and guide rod are the only things in between this recoiling of the frame and slide.

I would assume you would want the metal guide rod to be the "softer" of the metals.

I suppose going back to a plastic guide rod or adding a shock buffer would also cure this condition, but I'm thinking these metal guide rods are working as designed.

I believe that you would want the end of the guide rod to stay flat and in contact with the frame and be hard enough to

resist battering. Like in my 1911's.

I used to go through guide rods like that too, always chewed up like that. I put a new guide rod into the frame just the guide rod, and noticed a significant burr in the frame. I cleaned it up with a round file, and haven't had problems since.

that makes sense. I just checked my older of my 2 shadows. it's had the steel rod for probably close to 5,000 rounds. it's basically un-marked. certainly no gouges or peening or anything on the head. the kind of wear posted above is definitely not right.