Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Apple for idiots ?

enroute

Is there such a reference?

I see MS is discontinuing service for XP and Office 2003, on PC units that do not have enough memory storage capacity, on or about April 17.

We have had this Dell Dimension E310 unit for some years now, it's been a good unit, but I think it's time to get out of this MS rut.

Where can I go for research?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My 2009 MacPro runs windows XP, Vista & 7 (virtual installs) better and faster than any of todays current PC's.

I suggest heading over to macsales.com (OWComputing) and picking up an older mac that uses and Intel chipset and not a Power-PC chipset. Play around with it before you go diving into a new purchase. Macs are quite a bit more expensive than PC's, but you get what you pay for, and they LAST.

It's easier and more user-friendly than you might think! Hey...I converted my parents to Apple products and that was like pulling teeth ;)

I use Apple for DJing, production and iTunes. Core Audio is vastly superior to DirectX or even freeware ASIO. From a work standpoint Apple is godmode. I'm not a fanboy, I have everything. I haven't even turned off my MBP in four years.

I'm an Apple fanatic. Converted my less than savvy wife to a MacBook Pro and she became savvy on her own. Easy platform to use, virtually no viruses to worry about (nobody even has anti-virus software on a Mac) and reliable, well designed products to back it all up. I'm on my 2011 MacBook Pro with 8 gigs of RAM and I can't slow this thing down with everything running at once. I've bought two MacBook Pros and an iPad on Craigslist for half of retail and never had a problem. Oh, we also have iPhones and iPods. Wish they'd make a damn dishwasher!!! They also have classes at the Apple store free of charge for Dummies.

Edited by Lifeislarge

I'm an Apple fanatic. Converted my less than savvy wife to a MacBook Pro and she became savvy on her own. Easy platform to use, virtually no viruses to worry about (nobody even has anti-virus software on a Mac) and reliable, well designed products to back it all up. I'm on my 2011 MacBook Pro with 8 gigs of RAM and I can't slow this thing down with everything running at once. I've bought two MacBook Pros and an iPad on Craigslist for half of retail and never had a problem. Oh, we also have iPhones and iPods. Wish they'd make a damn dishwasher!!! They also have classes at the Apple store free of charge for Dummies.

Not entirely true....I've been running Protecmac antivirus software on our two for a few years now....

Right, Anti Virus for macs is strongly advised now. They aren't immune, just used to have a small enough market share that cyber criminals were focusing elsewhere. That is no longer the case.

I was a big MS fan for a lot of years. Windows 8 pushed me over the edge. Now I have an IPhone, two Ipads, and 2 Ipods. My next PC or Laptop will be a MAC for sure. It's like MS tried to piss people off with Windows 8. I finally figured it out, but my wife still hates it.

My 2009 MacPro runs windows XP, Vista & 7 (virtual installs) better and faster than any of todays current PC's.

I suggest heading over to macsales.com (OWComputing) and picking up an older mac that uses and Intel chipset and not a Power-PC chipset. Play around with it before you go diving into a new purchase. Macs are quite a bit more expensive than PC's, but you get what you pay for, and they LAST.

It's easier and more user-friendly than you might think! Hey...I converted my parents to Apple products and that was like pulling teeth ;)

Excellent, YES, MAC for dummies and thanks to chow for the macsales reference!

BE rocks the knowledge boat AGAIN!

It's not that I dislike MS, buuuut this " We are not going to support (your purchase) of our product due to needing to support blahblahblah..." Could I just tear into the box and drop in some more RAM? I don't know....when will the next support drop be?

Any other suggestions on shopping would be greatly appreciated.... Craigslist even? Dang...

Go to Apple. Com and on top right hand corner search your town and find an Apple store and talk to a representative or tech. about what your wants and needs are. The laptops are what I like. After you purchase it, take the basic setup class then after a couple of weeks to navigate to generate your questions then take some work shops. All this is complimentary.

Right, Anti Virus for macs is strongly advised now. They aren't immune, just used to have a small enough market share that cyber criminals were focusing elsewhere. That is no longer the case.

Recommended by who, and which av system? Malware, yes, I can understand that, so just don't visit questionable sites or download software from unknown sources. Default OS X security settings don't even let you run apps from an unknown source. But actual viruses that go in and attack and modify the underlying unix code of OS X? If you're logged onto your computer as a standard user as a matter of practice, instead of an administrator-level userid, how is an attacker going to get into su state to screw with the actual operating system? Just asking, because all the sources I follow still say you don't need it.

Recommended by who, and which av system? Malware, yes, I can understand that, so just don't visit questionable sites or download software from unknown sources. Default OS X security settings don't even let you run apps from an unknown source. But actual viruses that go in and attack and modify the underlying unix code of OS X? If you're logged onto your computer as a standard user as a matter of practice, instead of an administrator-level userid, how is an attacker going to get into su state to screw with the actual operating system? Just asking, because all the sources I follow still say you don't need it.

www.sophos.com

We actually have a few gov clients that require we run this at all times when hooked into their db's.

Keylogger ;)

There have been several high profile malware issues with Macs over the last few years. Additionally there have been recent targeted phishing attacks that have used Mac exploits since many targets have moved to Mac from Windows. Apple also does not resolve known security vulnerabilities as fast as Microsoft.

Consider this article:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/adriankingsleyhughes/2012/04/05/why-you-should-install-antivirus-on-your-mac/

Keylogger ;)

Details?

There have been several high profile malware issues with Macs over the last few years. Additionally there have been recent targeted phishing attacks that have used Mac exploits since many targets have moved to Mac from Windows. Apple also does not resolve known security vulnerabilities as fast as Microsoft.

Consider this article:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/adriankingsleyhughes/2012/04/05/why-you-should-install-antivirus-on-your-mac/

Yeah, but that's malware, that's not a virus. Don't run java if you're that worried about it. os x isn't even shipped with the java plug-in now, you. You know, again, if you use common sense about what you look at and download, and operate as a standard-level user instead of administrator-level (that's good advice for either windows or os x), I don't see need for it on a mac.

Edited by wgnoyes

For what it's worth, I had to click "trust" and "activate flash for this website" to even get to this report.

The answer to the mac stuff again seems to be "don't run java". It's not even included with the operating system anymore.

We're quoting symantec? I thought we all hated symantec as much as Steve Jobs hated Flash! :)

(And I don't really want to hijack this thread from it's original topic of is there a mac dummies-type book available.)

Edited by wgnoyes