Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone have the Burris AR-1X

Nuke8401

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have one on my desk. :) I have about 1000 rounds downrange with it and my kid has about 400.

That said, the production versions are not yet ready.

This is going to be a bit of a personalized optic. That means you will set it up for you, and it might not work well for someone else. For me, it works best with the red illumination, my son likes the green. He has 12 year old eyes, but I actually needed to adjust the focus a little between black, red and green to have a crisp sight picture out at 550 yards. The illumination is daylight visible. It is faster and easier for me to shoot than the Pris...BUT I am not a Limited shooter and I don't have the drop charts worked out for the Pris. Just trying to tell it like I see it.

Using a 12" plate, I had no problems seeing or hitting from 10 yards to 550 yards. If James has an off day, I'll walk right by him. :roflol:

I put it on a Carbon Arms AR22 upper to try it out and sure enough, I was ringing steel at 300m.

So Mark,

I'm guessing for distance you either turn off the illum or turn it way down to get the clearest reticle?

How hard is it to go from full illum red to off? One button or like 27 pushes of the same button?

12" @ 550, the dot is almost twice the size of the target? But I guess you aren't using the dot past 200; but the BDC (gaps) for holds.

So the 4/4.4 MOA center dot isn't really a problem?

Like many I occasionally think about shooting limited but I have a hard time seeing a 12" MGM at 400 much less 550.

Thanks,

David

David, that is the odd part, I actually needed the illumination past about 300 yards for the best sight picture. I used a medium red setting. Just a push button on top, not hard at all.

The only target that I had any issues with was a 6" plate. Between 140 and 160, you need a 6 o'clock hold, but the target disappears. 6" plates at 100 and 200 were no problem. That was using a 100 yard zero. With a 200 yard zero, you lose the 6" plate from 140 to about 210 yards. Not many matches use 6" plates and going to 8" plates, I had no problems with either zero.

The reticle "wants" you to use a 200 yard zero, but I don't see any reason you could not do fine with a 100.

Once you get the reticle clear for you, hitting 12" plates past 300 yards was actually a lot easier than I thought it would be.

Tim, they are listed several places and they will take your money...they just won't send you the optic for a month or two. :devil:

I guess I should explain the illumination functions. There are three buttons. The front round one, press and you get full power red, press again (and again) and it toggles between red and green. Hold down for 5 seconds, and it turns off. There are 7 intensities, press the rear one to decrease and the front one to increase. So for me, it was press the front and then the rear and I was good. My son had to press the front twice, and then the rear. They are tactile, so you can do this on the move and not have to look through the optic, which I highly appreciated. If I knew I wanted it on, I of course turned it on before I started our mock stages.

The lowest red and green setting is as close to off as you can get. In pitch dark, it is a dim glow.

If you have adjusted intensity, when you toggle between red and green, it stays at the same level.

I apologize, but I can not take photos as the unit I have in an Engineering Demo unit and a few things will change, including more distinct etching on the reticle.

It uses a AA battery which I think is pretty cool.

• 4 weeks later...

Has anyone else tried one of these. I'm seriously considering one but would like to here a little more feedback. Adams Arms had one on there demo gun at TFD but I had to much on my mind to really check it out much beside the three rounds I put through their gun, I didn't even know what it was until I got back home. It wasn't illuminated when I shot it in the rain and it seemed pretty clear considering the conditions.

I don't think the production units have shipped yet so there are only the 2 Eng samples and a few demos. As soon as I get a production one, I will certainly add more, and pictures. :)

I don't think the production units have shipped yet so there are only the 2 Eng samples and a few demos. As soon as I get a production one, I will certainly add more, and pictures. :)

Thanks, Optics Planet is showing them in stock and I'm very tempted.

Looks like they're listed at most places for $279. Optics Planet shows them in stock but I guess they're not really because it says 6-8 wks for shipping. I believe I'm going to get this for a lighter weight irons gun. I'm starting to get used to the reticle on the Mtac and the AR-1x reticle looks very similar and I think it will be better for the longer shots than a regular dot. Of course this is the theory I'm sticking with just because I want one.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Talked to Burris customer service today. Supposedly, they sent out 124 units today? There are more than 400 on back order. 1200 more units come in next week, but have to be inspected first before being released. I'm number 4 on Brownells list, been waiting for months for this thing to be released, hope it lives up to the hype.

MarCo... I'm buying this to put on a light weight AR designed to compete at short CQB style fast stages. Most of the bays are 50 yards or less, but at times the match director will design a stage with 250 yard shots. My main competition rifle is set up with a MTAC and a JP 18" barrel. It rocks at mid to long shot stages. My question, are you using the tripler? If so, it kinda defeats my designed purpose of the new AR-1x.

MarCo... I'm buying this to put on a light weight AR designed to compete at short CQB style fast stages. Most of the bays are 50 yards or less, but at times the match director will design a stage with 250 yard shots. My main competition rifle is set up with a MTAC and a JP 18" barrel. It rocks at mid to long shot stages. My question, are you using the tripler? If so, it kinda defeats my designed purpose of the new AR-1x.

Nope. I don't know if it would work with a trippler or not, but I can find out if that is important to you. My 12 year old was running some drills hitting 10-16" gongs from 300 to 550 yards at about a 85% hit rate using the BDC marks. We have him set-up with a 100 yard zero and out to about 300, even I can see and hit the targets. Past 300, I can not see well enough without adjusting the focus, which is set for his young eyes, not my "needs glasses" old eyes.

Actually, Burris recommends using their tripler in conjunction with it in the description of the sight. I understand the classes and adding a tripler puts you back in tactical, so why not mount a mag scope at that point. I get that, the reason I'm looking at this so hard is the non magnified, large objective and etched graduated reticle, that will put me in the limited class, Which you can shoot like a red dot in CQB style matches, but have a little advantage at distance with a etched reticle. A red dot gets fuzzy for me past 150, and I find I have to walk shots in sometimes past that distance. I've looked at the Leupold and Vortex versions, with anything there are always compromises?