Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is Tap Talk worth it?

I finally made my first Apple purchase in the form of an iPad Air. Every Apple owner that I know told me that I would be blown away and would never look back. Maybe they forgot to chip me at the Apple store but it's not as intuitive as I was led to believe.

Anyway what is the deal with Tap Talk. Everytime I log onto the Enos site a alert comes up to encourage me to try the mobile version in the form of Tap Talk. Is it worth paying $4.99 for what I assume would be an abreviated version of the Enos site? I have found that most mobile sites are more confusing and have less function and info than the full site versions.

While I'm here, can anyone help me find out why graphics will not load on some sites. If you have a iPad Check out the ar15armory.com site and see if the graphics load on the home page. I checked and Java Script is enabled.

Sorry for the rant but I feel as if Apple product virtues are oversold.

If you frequent multiple forums often Tapatalk can be a real timesaver. There are some forum features missing and there are a few glitches here and there but I find it very useful. Some sites, like this one, don't always keep their plugins updated so you will have functionality issues.

Unfortunately, the biggest drawback to using Apple products is the one you found. Years ago Apple decided that HTML5 was the future and decided to not support Java. Eventually the rest of the industry agreed and sites are now converting over. Until they do the scripts won't run on your Apple device so no images.

As an Apple guy from the original iPhone I'd say give the Air a little more time. The power of the device is in the apps and the way it flows and it does take time to integrate. I'm not a fanboy as we have Kindle Fires, Galaxy Tabs, Notes, etc at my house but the Apple Mini seems to in my hand the most.

I've never tried TapTalk, but the mobile version of this site works great for me :D

The mobile version of this site opens a new window on EVERY link I click. click thread, open new window, click on forum, open new window, log in, open new window.. I had 12 windows before I stopped and went back to a half functioning Tapatalk.

Why are you having to pay for Tapatalk? I have it on my iPhone and did not have to pay for it, its a free app now. Also it is not broken on this forum, the problem is you have to log in each time you go to use it. If you just click a link from a notification email it won't let you post but if you log in it will let you post - well at least it lets me post. There is a pro version that is $3.99 but I don't know what that does that the free version does not do.

Why are you having to pay for Tapatalk? I have it on my iPhone and did not have to pay for it, its a free app now. Also it is not broken on this forum, the problem is you have to log in each time you go to use it. If you just click a link from a notification email it won't let you post but if you log in it will let you post - well at least it lets me post. There is a pro version that is $3.99 but I don't know what that does that the free version does not do.

The level of "breakage" depends on the version you have. I have different versions depending on whether I use my iPhone, iPad, or Mini and the version of the software and most of them will not let you post. The error on the HD version talks about the out of date plug in on the forum which is causing the posting issue. The work around is to launch the browser option from Tapatalk and it will allow you to post. A bit of a pain but it's a work around until the plug in is updated. The Pro and HD versions do have different formats and a few extra functions over the free version so it may be worth it for some. I would definitely start with the Free first to see if it works for you before I paid money. I've been using Tapatalk since version 1 and eventually upgraded all my devices.

The level of "breakage" depends on the version you have. I have different versions depending on whether I use my iPhone, iPad, or Mini and the version of the software and most of them will not let you post. The error on the HD version talks about the out of date plug in on the forum which is causing the posting issue. The work around is to launch the browser option from Tapatalk and it will allow you to post. A bit of a pain but it's a work around until the plug in is updated. The Pro and HD versions do have different formats and a few extra functions over the free version so it may be worth it for some. I would definitely start with the Free first to see if it works for you before I paid money. I've been using Tapatalk since version 1 and eventually upgraded all my devices.

So you can actually launch webview of the Enos thread you're reading in tapatalk? When I try that it takes me to the mobile home page of the forums, not the actual thread I was reading.

My tapatalk keeps me logged in to all the forums. I don't have to log in. I have Tapatalk Pro v 4.4.5 and Tapatalk v4.4.2 on my phone and Tapatalk HD on my tablet. They all act the same way. I've tried uninstalling, clearing data, cache, reinstalling.. etc. It's annoying.

All the other forums work as they should as far as I can tell.

So you can actually launch webview of the Enos thread you're reading in tapatalk? When I try that it takes me to the mobile home page of the forums, not the actual thread I was reading.

My tapatalk keeps me logged in to all the forums. I don't have to log in. I have Tapatalk Pro v 4.4.5 and Tapatalk v4.4.2 on my phone and Tapatalk HD on my tablet. They all act the same way. I've tried uninstalling, clearing data, cache, reinstalling.. etc. It's annoying.

All the other forums work as they should as far as I can tell.

You do have to log in again and navagate to the particular thread however on, one of my devices, I have the Tapatalk ID set up so it autologs back in. It's still a a pain but at least you can respond. I typically bookmark the thread so I can get there quickly. Hopefully someone will get that plug in updated and eliminate the need to go around it.

Wow, I really started something here. Had no idea Tap Talk would stir this much controversy. I guess in a way it answered my question. I will not be using Tap Talk any time soon. I'm having enough trouble warming up to Apple's system. Still trying to figure out why my iPad won't launch graphics on some web sites. Checked out a friends Android tablet and his launched the web site launched fine.

Oh, while I'm here the emotion icons are not working even though I have the activation box checked.

• 1 month later...

I like it, and actually prefer to peruse the various forums I follow using it. No ads, faster loading etc. BE in particular had a little trouble with TT recently, but it appears to be repaired. So, to answer your original question, yes.

• 4 weeks later...

Tapatalk is "broke" on this forum. You can only read, not post. So.. don't buy it just for this forum until they fix the issue.

I'm posting this with Tapatalk.

I use Tapatalk every day and I think it's great.

I got Tapatalk fixed on our forums after that initial post.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I love tap a talk on my iPhone

makes perusing the forums a million times easier than when I use the Safari app... it is just a much more user friendly setup as far as forums are concerned...

I don't have any problems making posts, editing posts, etc.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

I just open this forum with Safari on my iPhone, go to the bottom of the page and click on "Full Version" and can do everything/anything I can on my PC. It does require a decent data connection, but I'm sending this on 2 bars of LTE.

Edited by CDRODA396

• 8 months later...