Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dry Fire Skills for the Frequent Flyer?

wmetzler01

Looking for some suggestions for dry firing without the gun.

Here's the background: I'm on an airplane 50% of my work week and lugging my pistol or even an airsoft pistol get you a one way ticket to "additional security screening" - not fun... Packing the pistol for air travel is about as fun as watching a midget with a yo-yo...

What I can bring with me without invoking the wrath of the TSA is my CoC and some resistance bands I use to improve my shoulder strength (bands go over my wrists, the middle of the band goes under one foot, and I clasp my hands like I'm holding my pistol in my normal shooting position - hold for 60 seconds for a solid burn).

What can one use to improve trigger control and sight alignment?

Thank you!!

No 2011 replicas. Asp and blue gun make 1911's

Seeing as they are primarily for law enforcement firearms retention training only common duty platforms are produced.

The 1911 grip angle and basic ergo setup will have to do.

It will lack the weight of real gun regardless.

But hey it's better than air gunning the lampshades in your hotel room.

How about a SIRT gun? Has a self-resetting trigger, and it shouldn't unduly alert TSA since to a scanner its just batteries and a laser. (but I'm sure Next Level Training folks could confirm no travel carry-on issues) You'd have to deal with Glock form factor, but you'd get a lot of trigger control work and additionally could work mag changes with their weighted mags.

If you go the blue gun route (for draw, sight picture, but no real trigger or mags), i have a 1911 blue gun you could have cheap, I no longer use it.

With a SiRT, Blue gun, or ASP you will not be allowed to carry on. Something something Replica of firearms.

I have a SiRT that I throw in my luggage but get hassled if they run it through the xray.

Hmm, ok, I hadn't tried yet, good to know.

So maybe a potential market for a dry fire trainer, 007 Bond - Scaramanga style? (but self-resetting trigger, not single shot :-)

http://www.yourprops.com/Scaramanga-Golden-Gun-replica-movie-prop-weapon-James-Bond-The-Man-With-The-Golden-Gun-1974-YP45229.html

post-48463-0-40610700-1389125256.jpg

post-48463-0-52602000-1389125267.jpg

Edited by trgt

Blue gun, red gun, sirt gun, cap gun....no, no, no TSA agent is going to let that slide. Where have you guys been? I am in no way related to law enforcement but as a gold level frequent gun-packing flyer I can assure you that you'll find yourself in a very small room if you try to carry ANY type of replica gun onto a plane, in any country.

On the other hand, once the guns are checked, I've never been subjected to further scrutiny different from others. In fact with the recent security changes I've been chosen a couple of times by TSA to leave my shoes on and leave my laptop in the bag. And no, not as part of pre-check. I still can't get selected for it even though my wife was selected in the first group a few years ago...maybe it is the guns.

reply from SIRT:

"While the SIRT Training Pistol is a totally inert device, we strongly recommend that you pack it as you would a live fire weapon and declare it to TSA. Also please be aware that you should know the regulations of your country of destination as different countries have different rules for products like the SIRT (Canada, UK, Australia all have forms of prohibition for "realistic firearm replicas). Although we have never had issues with airport security, we have heard stories of customers having issues when they did not declare them."

Blue gun, red gun, sirt gun, cap gun....no, no, no TSA agent is going to let that slide. Where have you guys been? I am in no way related to law enforcement but as a gold level frequent gun-packing flyer I can assure you that you'll find yourself in a very small room if you try to carry ANY type of replica gun onto a plane, in any country.

On the other hand, once the guns are checked, I've never been subjected to further scrutiny different from others. In fact with the recent security changes I've been chosen a couple of times by TSA to leave my shoes on and leave my laptop in the bag. And no, not as part of pre-check. I still can't get selected for it even though my wife was selected in the first group a few years ago...maybe it is the guns.

I didn't try to say $hit about if TSA is gonna " let it slide" just tryin to help a brother out.

EAD

With regards to the SIRT - I had a Range Safety Officer come up to me once and asked me to unload and show clear when I was practicing with the SIRT pistol. So declaring it to a TSA agent makes sense since they look so real.

Steve Anderson had some suggestions in one of his recent pod casts along the lines of movement (getting into and out of positions) and transitions (moving your your eyes from target to target). Alternatively maybe you could watch some training video's or read some books. Maybe not what you had in mind but your dry fire options are limited without access to a pistol.

I am in the same boat with all the airplane travel. Gave up trying to bring anything. I work on movement, eye training exercises, visualization and physical fitness and make the most efficient use I can of the practice time when I am home. I found anything else is too much hassle.

• 3 weeks later...

If you are going to get a SIRT and declare it like a firearm you might as well carry your normal guns with you! I travel all the time with my guns, both rifles and pistols and almost never have problems. Pistols go in a locked case, inside my suitcase, with a declaration tag, then lock the zippers of the suitcase. Throw in some 1/3 scale USPSA targets and you can do all the dry firing you want in the hotel!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I travelled for years. Luckily, it was to the same place for months at a time. In CA, I was able to leave a big piece of luggage with the hotel. Same with LA and AZ.

Other than that I took my backup 1911 when I travelled.