Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Grip wraps

aandabooks

I run the PRP sandpaper laser cut grips on my 3 gun 5.25 rig with the operator magwell but I have the Talon sandpaper ones on my production 5.25. The PRP ones look a lot nicer but both drastically improve your grip on the gun ( the Talon ones just go over all the bumps etc... on the grip, the laser cut ones fit in between but still offer great traction ) . I believe PRP offered some colors but I am not 100% sure on that.

http://shop.springerprecision.com/category.sc?categoryId=27

I use the aluminum oxide and I made the thin rubber grips for the wife, as she wanted something more grippy that would not hurt her hands. The rubber grip is the thinest with the most traction of the samples we could find. I don't put it on the backstrap because I found that it is easier to get a more consistant grip if your hand can slip into the proper position when grabbing the gun, and you don't need traction back there to control the gun. It goes just far enough back so that your offhand thumb palm gets full purchase with the tape shooting right or left handed using the thumbs forward grip.

• 2 weeks later...

I prefer to buy a few sheets of Jessups skateboard tape. I draw a template on a piece of paper, shape it to the pistol. Then copy it onto the back of the sheet, then cut it out with an Xacto knife. It's absolutely great. I'll stack layers to make my grip wider and it's friggin rock solid. No bubbling or sliding. SOLID. Best six dollars every spent on my pistol.

Xtreme grips by PRP come in Black sand and textured rubber (black or grey in the textured rubber). I tried both and liked the textured rubber the best. The sand was too grippy and my wrist was always sore after any extended shooting sessions, but I do have a touch of arthritis in my wrist. This may be a consideration for any fellow "seasoned" shooters out there.

• 3 weeks later...

I am a fan of making your own from skateboard tape as well. It may take a few attempts to get the template the way you like it, but it allows you to pick the level of material and personalize the fit. I went down to the local mall, found the skate shop, and sampled all of the available deck tape before picking out one light texture (Jessup) and one heavy (Mob). Once I have the tape installed on the frame, I use whatever spare pocket change I may have to contour the tape to the grip profile. I have used the precut panels before and was happy with the results, but if you change/wear them out with any frequency it can become expensive to go that route. I generally change out tape once a month and keep a few spares to pass out on the range, all for about $12 a year.

• 1 month later...

I'm with Scott on this one, a lot of grip tape on the backstrap does more harm than good. I like to be able to slide my hand down into the beavertail when I draw, especially from surrender. I was playing with Bob Vogel's glock 34 during a class and I thought it was interesting that he had just a spot of grip tape as an index mark at the very bottom of the backstrap and the rest was clean, for the same reason I mentioned.