Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Poor Prior Planning Provides...a forgotten holster

littlehendrick

Normally I set all my stuff out, and go through a packing routine that I have. Work had kept me busy through Saturday. Threw my stuff in my bag, and off I went! Sure enough, got to the match, and realize I forgot my holster. Thankfully I had packed my wifes gun (when I was less sleep deprived) and could still shoot the match. So I am now writing out a list to check before leaving for a match.

Forgetting simple things can be such a pain.

Every time I pack the car I stare into the trunk and say the following and make sure i see all of them: Bullets go in the mags, mags go in the gun, mags and gun go in the holster and mag pouches, holster and mag pouches attach to inner belt.

( borrowed the saying from another forum member....can't recall who it was ).

• 5 weeks later...

Went to a local match beginning of this month. Normally shoot with the wife out of a large Midway bag. Since she wasn't going (too cold), the night before I got my gear out of the big bag and put it in my small range bag. Made sure to have MY XDM holster since there can be as many as 6 different holsters in the big bag.

Yup, you guessed it, got to the match, signed up and back at the car, no holster! I think I must have just said "yup, that's the one", and just simply replaced it back into the big bag. Brain fade.

Luckly, I waited for the shooters meeting and asked if anyone had an extra XDM holster, and lo and behold, one guy did. I shot the match thanks to his generosity.

We have a checklist printed up, but I didn't use it since it was just me going with a LOT less gear than when the two of us go. Never again, always use the list.

JD

• 2 weeks later...

I had used the list and made sure everything was in the car loaded up before we left. Got a call on the way to the meeting spot for the carpool that my buddy had a change of plans and was going to get to go so we had to change cars. I left my new ELS outter belt in my car that was a bummer.

Every time I pack the car I stare into the trunk and say the following and make sure i see all of them: Bullets go in the mags, mags go in the gun, mags and gun go in the holster and mag pouches, holster and mag pouches attach to inner belt.

I really need to do a proper checklist in something like Evernote so that I have the list with me on my phone, but I basically do this method where I think...

"Okay, I'm at the match. What's the absolute minimum I need to keep from doing The Drive of Shame*? Pistol, mags, and ammo. Do I have them? Great. Now I need to make sure they stay on my body per the rules. I need an inner belt and the correct outer belt**. Great. Now I need stuff to keep from going blind or deaf. Ears? Check. Eyes? Check. Awesome. Go me! Time to go. "

This after obsessing about all of the other stuff I put in my range bag like water, flashlight, tools, etc before loading up the car.

*...and I have made that drive before. [hangs head in shame]

**Keep the holster and mag pouches on my belts for each rig I shoot. I just have to make sure I get the right one or I'll be trying to stuff a Glock into a Beretta holster...

My buddy and I drove almost three hours to a steel match, we were unpacking the van and getting ready for the day. Suddenly he said he had to go and would be back..... strange. Upon returning he fessed up that he forgot his holster. Geez what to do, he shoots CZ and I shoot Glock. Like MacGyver I sprung into action and grabbed my backup serpa blackhawk with disabled button from my gear bag. I split it down the top and duct tapped it up . Viola instant CZ holster. It worked like a charm and he did pretty well at the match. Now we joke we should bronze it or keep it as a trophy. Then there was the time he forgot his ammo and I bailed him out but thats another story.....

• 4 years later...
Helpful saying [emoji106]