Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tips to get people to show up for match setup

Moltke

Hi there, I'm wondering if some experienced shooters can give me some tips on how to generate interest amongst shooters to help with match setup. Currently it happens the day before the match. I'm open to anything. Ready, set, beep!

I waive match fees for set up and RO's. Still only get one or two most days. Next year I am going to try something new. Every time you show up for set up the day prior you get a ticket dropped in the bucket for a drawing at the end of the season. Prize will be a pistol.

I waive match fees for set up and RO's. Still only get one or two most days. Next year I am going to try something new. Every time you show up for set up the day prior you get a ticket dropped in the bucket for a drawing at the end of the season. Prize will be a pistol.

I like that idea, usually we can get 1/2 a dozen on nice days but if its muddy or cold or hot then not so much

You know, as I sit here and read my own post it almost seems over the top to offer a pistol raffle for helping set up a match. But when those Saturdays roll around and it's only me and one or two regular helpers it will be worth every penny! I hope twenty people show up every month. I would rather have way to much help than not nearly enough.

At my club people who setup shoot for free, and we've still had problems getting enough help. I know there is a club in GA where the setup crew meets for breakfast (which the MD pays for) the morning of the match.

At the club matches that I work we have a system that usually works. We have an email list of all shooters, SO, etc. We use that list for announcements and solicitation of help for matches. We try to get people to step up and run our monthly matches. We usually get a good response... usually. If we didn't have enough that matches wouldn't happen. Two people aren't going to set up and run a match... and we are always asking for people to help out... cause without the help the matches just wouldn't happen. Oh and of course everyone that sets up and/or SOs gets to shoot for free. Our club is very supportive and we have flexibility to do this. i know some clubs require staff to pay as well... that's a recipe for disaster. We welcome help.. the more the better.

It always tends to be the same 5 or 6 people that show up early willing to set up. One of our clubs allows stage builders to shoot for free and helpers get a discount.

One thing I know that keeps some people from helping is difficulty with an actual stage design; either they don't know here to get designs, are too lazy to get them or are not confident enough to choose one on their own. One thing that seems to help is the MD providing the stage design for the prospective builder.

There really isn't a lot that can be done. I really like the idea of a random drawing just for stage builders. Every time you show up to set up a stage you get one "pull" at a random prize. Something like that.

It always tends to be the same 5 or 6 people that show up early willing to set up. One of our clubs allows stage builders to shoot for free and helpers get a discount.

One thing I know that keeps some people from helping is difficulty with an actual stage design; either they don't know here to get designs, are too lazy to get them or are not confident enough to choose one on their own. One thing that seems to help is the MD providing the stage design for the prospective builder.

There really isn't a lot that can be done. I really like the idea of a random drawing just for stage builders. Every time you show up to set up a stage you get one "pull" at a random prize. Something like that.

Here is another idea. The CSO for the stage either designs his/her own stage that they will be building. Sometimes the MD will design a stage for the CSO. Either way the MD reviews all the stages ahead of time to ensure equipment availability, flow of the match, etc. The other help is there to support the CSO wrt getting equipment, walls, etc for the stage so they don't need to be stage building experts at all... but it's a good step towards getting people involved.

Definitely interested in ideas. The local club that I am the MD for, typically sees about 100+ at our monthly matches. We use to do 8 stages, we've recently changed that to 7 stages. All stages are of a Sectional level in quality of design (props, complexity, technical, etc). In order to get those stages on the ground, the day prior, we've put a requirement of 8 volunteers to make it happen. My max capacity for setup help has been 12, but that's never been realized. The most I've gotten is 11, but it's typically between 8-10. I'm limited in how long I can use the range for setup the day prior, so having a full compliment of volunteers is imperative. In exchange for setup help, the volunteers get to shoot the match for free the following day. I'd like to offer that they shoot the match the day of setup (Saturday) and if they wanted, shoot the next day as well (maybe a different division or same division). Unfortunately, I can't regularly get 10+ to put the stages on the ground fast enough to afford them enough time to shoot after setting up. I've also tinkered with the idea of paying the setup crew, but that would have to be enticing enough to justify. For example, $50 to help setup, the match costs $25 (currently costs $20). This "pay for setup option" would mean that the setup people wouldn't shoot for free, but they could apply a portion of that $50 to the match fees. I do like the "enter into a season ending raffle" idea. That is something I'll have to put some serious consideration to the idea of a giveaway.

Hookers and beer? :cheers:

Might work. Coffee and donuts sure as heck don't!

Last thing I want to do when faced with hookers and beer is work. LOL ;)

On the serious side, our local club requires members to do work hours outside the annual membership fees. One way for us members to earn work hour credits is by helping set-up and breakdown stages after matches.

The problem is that some people aren't interested in doing anything more than shooting the match.

Getting the chance to shoot the match for free, or being entered in a raffle, or any of the other ideas suggested don't come close to making up for the number of hours it takes to help with setup. Most people are either willing to help or they are not. I can't imagine that there are that many people out there who make the choice because of the enticement.

I know I have my limits. I'm more than willing to help setup the morning of the match, but there is no way I would give up most of the day Saturday to setup, and then come back and spend most of the day Sunday shooting.

Wow! We run a 7 stage match every month. Set up starts at 0730 and we are usually shooting about 1030, trying to hit 1000. Our monthly procedure is as follows.

Friday the week prior to the match an email is sent out to club members for early registration. Tuesday prior to the match the registration link is posted for all. Usually around Sunday prior an additional email goes out to the regular compliment of stage designers requesting designs. most of the time we have a sufficient number. Match day the designers take charge of their stages. We have all the materials to build each stage on individual trailers they get delivered and the designers and their buddies start the build. We usually shanghai anyone we can for spiking down targets and fault lines. During this period we are handling registration and verifying stages and all the rest that needs to be done.

I think that the key to the success of the matches here is that our shooters own the match. "We" don't put on a match for "Them" . "We" put on a match for "US"

Yes we have a larger group than we'd like to have that will stand around and complain that we are running late rather than help, but we have A fairly consistent group of dedicated builders, a few have even showed up to build on match day when they were not able to shoot! We are currently looking for ways to entice more participation.

Don't as MD design all the stages, in fact work towards designing zero stages, you have other things to do. You need to be making sure all the stages are safe and adhere to the rules. What you don't do is criticize the design or the builder. They will learn.

Definitely interested in ideas. The local club that I am the MD for, typically sees about 100+ at our monthly matches. We use to do 8 stages, we've recently changed that to 7 stages. All stages are of a Sectional level in quality of design (props, complexity, technical, etc). In order to get those stages on the ground, the day prior, we've put a requirement of 8 volunteers to make it happen. My max capacity for setup help has been 12, but that's never been realized. The most I've gotten is 11, but it's typically between 8-10. I'm limited in how long I can use the range for setup the day prior, so having a full compliment of volunteers is imperative. In exchange for setup help, the volunteers get to shoot the match for free the following day. I'd like to offer that they shoot the match the day of setup (Saturday) and if they wanted, shoot the next day as well (maybe a different division or same division). Unfortunately, I can't regularly get 10+ to put the stages on the ground fast enough to afford them enough time to shoot after setting up. I've also tinkered with the idea of paying the setup crew, but that would have to be enticing enough to justify. For example, $50 to help setup, the match costs $25 (currently costs $20). This "pay for setup option" would mean that the setup people wouldn't shoot for free, but they could apply a portion of that $50 to the match fees. I do like the "enter into a season ending raffle" idea. That is something I'll have to put some serious consideration to the idea of a giveaway.

Is there a reason you have a max of 12 for setup? I would think the more help you got, the easier you could setup in time to shoot the day before. You may (or not) get enough help if they knew they would be able to shoot that day.

Every situation is unique & it sounds like you are under some unfortunate constraints.

OK, so yesterday was the local match, and the day before I asked my shooting friends when we were done training on Friday, to help me to help the MD for the match to set up stages. Not all were as excited to help out in this as was expected, even through one of them had worked on a stage design to be shot in the match. Well the four of us shooting got done, grabbed a hammer or drill and started to build the stages, we got the three larger field courses set up, just not he sticks and targets. the two that were designed by "US" and one more. The MD and his helpers worked on the other two stages, making new props for one of the new classifiers and new vision barriers for stage. All in all we spent about 2-2.5 hours getting a large part of the match set up and left the range feeling that the MD had it all in hand.

Cut to the dawn the next day.

No Sticks are in the stands, no targets are out and shooters are waiting.... 45 of them... how many picked up a target or a stapler our put sticks in stands.....8.

You know it is only after reading this thread and having seen what it takes to build a 6 or more stage match with just one other person helping, and feeling like your best effort is just wasted to allow some tool shooter who feels entitled to just "show up and shoot" because they paid there $20-$25, why should I help attitude, is just not worth it.

But yet, I will most likely still help local MD's put stages on the ground, and work on stage designs for local clubs to use, and RO a squad, and still Pay my $20 to shoot the match, and then, Tear it all Down and put it away after the shooting is done and the above mentioned TOOL's are in their cars heading home, going over how great they did and what a good match it was.

steps off the soap box and drops the mic.

K

OK, so yesterday was the local match, and the day before I asked my shooting friends when we were done training on Friday, to help me to help the MD for the match to set up stages. Not all were as excited to help out in this as was expected, even through one of them had worked on a stage design to be shot in the match. Well the four of us shooting got done, grabbed a hammer or drill and started to build the stages, we got the three larger field courses set up, just not he sticks and targets. the two that were designed by "US" and one more. The MD and his helpers worked on the other two stages, making new props for one of the new classifiers and new vision barriers for stage. All in all we spent about 2-2.5 hours getting a large part of the match set up and left the range feeling that the MD had it all in hand.

Cut to the dawn the next day.

No Sticks are in the stands, no targets are out and shooters are waiting.... 45 of them... how many picked up a target or a stapler our put sticks in stands.....8.

You know it is only after reading this thread and having seen what it takes to build a 6 or more stage match with just one other person helping, and feeling like your best effort is just wasted to allow some tool shooter who feels entitled to just "show up and shoot" because they paid there $20-$25, why should I help attitude, is just not worth it.

But yet, I will most likely still help local MD's put stages on the ground, and work on stage designs for local clubs to use, and RO a squad, and still Pay my $20 to shoot the match, and then, Tear it all Down and put it away after the shooting is done and the above mentioned TOOL's are in their cars heading home, going over how great they did and what a good match it was.

steps off the soap box and drops the mic.

K

Welcome to the MD world!

I was about to "Like" the coffee and doughnuts - then I read "Hookers and Beer" !!

Y'all obviously know how to keep shooters coming! (OK, bad pun)

The help issue is endemic in shooting circles, I'm afraid. After a decade running rifle matches with ZERO help, I finally walked away, leaving a venue unscheduled - no matches. With rifle, the MD and others are prohibited from competing, per the rules. Just makes you want to step up and volunteer, huh?

I have long-running offer of beer and food afterwards to any MD or stat person who didn't get to shoot the match that I got to enjoy. I usually help set up local matches but I'll always stay to tear down, anywhere.

Mark

The problem is that some people aren't interested in doing anything more than shooting the match.

Getting the chance to shoot the match for free, or being entered in a raffle, or any of the other ideas suggested don't come close to making up for the number of hours it takes to help with setup. Most people are either willing to help or they are not. I can't imagine that there are that many people out there who make the choice because of the enticement.

I know I have my limits. I'm more than willing to help setup the morning of the match, but there is no way I would give up most of the day Saturday to setup, and then come back and spend most of the day Sunday shooting.

To put our stages on the ground, the setup starts at 0700 and is typically done by 1000 or 1030. All day? No. 3 hours, give or take, is pretty minor in my mind.