Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Yes, it's about legal stuff

SiG Lady

After over three years of paralegal studies and two years of board-of-directoring with the local chapter of a national paralegal association, I decided to take the association's level-one certification exam--and I passed. And a chapter local scholarship will reimburse my expenses connected to this effort. :devil:

This all means I can place the letters "ALP" after my name. Heh. Gotta love those titles.

I'm preparing now to sit for the level-two exam (the "PLS") in late March 2014--a much tougher exam--and hope to pass that one as well. Wish me luck. This one will be a tad more challenging. :surprise::ph34r:

EEH,

I could, I suppose, sign here as SiG Lady, ALP, but it wouldn't relate to shooting. I won't push my luck.

Well, the PLS is an eight-hour exam (the ALP was only four hours), and will definitely cover some areas not covered in the ALP--and in more detail. It won't be what you call easy.

GreenDragon64, you're right about that. I thought my head was going to explode with facts just before the recent exam, but the results were quite worth it. The value of this next exam will be far greater based on the greater amount of knowledge required. But I'm ambitious and competitive (I have trophies from shooting matches, remember) so have a reputation to build and uphold in the legal community--even though I've been unemployed for what seems like for-fricking-ever. Either way, once you get these certifications, no one can argue with you any more. :devil:

Jadeslade, you're too kind. Sometimes it's easy to think I'm struggling along all alone out here on the Left Coast, then I'm reminded by unexpected remarks from unexpected people that I'm not necessarily all alone after all. We ALL struggle and make efforts in our own ways. :bow:

After over three years of paralegal studies and two years of board-of-directoring with the local chapter of a national paralegal association, I decided to take the association's level-one certification exam--and I passed. And a chapter local scholarship will reimburse my expenses connected to this effort. :devil:

This all means I can place the letters "ALP" after my name. Heh. Gotta love those titles.

I'm preparing now to sit for the level-two exam (the "PLS") in late March 2014--a much tougher exam--and hope to pass that one as well. Wish me luck. This one will be a tad more challenging. :surprise::ph34r:

You will pass that one too Siggy!

Nice work!

:cheers:

ltdmstr, the opportunities here in Eugene for legal assistants (as well as lawyers) is as skimpy as whatever you can imagine. At the moment I'm not at liberty to relocate to Portland, where job opportunities do exist. Two of our local not-four-year educational institutions discontinued their respective legal assistant programs due to lack of local job openings. Plus, we have the University of Oregon here and its huge law school with JDs walking the streets like zombies looking for work. I'm having to compete and push myself along by participating in the association I belong to and grabbing education programs and other stuff wherever I can find it.

ltdmstr, are you an attorney? (And do you live in Oregon?)

• 11 months later...

Well, it took a while, but I received notice yesterday that I'd passed the PLS certification exam, and now I have alphabet soup after my name and kinda belong to the club, as it were. Most respectable NALS members (with jobs and experience--unlike me) have the PLS designation, so that's the club I'm aspiring to. But it's not an awfully easy exam, the PLS, so I'm glad the stress is over with. And, as Tom Petty said, ". . . the waiting is the hardest part."

Ms. Siggy, PLS, ALP

• 2 weeks later...

My favorite guitarist, Brian May of Queen, recently said in an interview, "Everything worth doing is a little scary." I have to agree with that.

It's that fear that makes us try harder and prepare better. And it is also that same fear that makes success all the sweeter.

Grats, SiG Lady. :)

• 2 years later...

Well, it's been a long time since I posted here about certifications, but in the meantime I found work (in 2015) and I just passed my THIRD (at last) level of certification, the "PP" (Professional Paralegal). I'm about as far from a "professional paralegal" as you can get, of course, but for sure I'm a legal assistant and make my living that way.  :P

(Oh, and they changed the "PLS" (Professional Legal Secretary) to "CLP" (Certified Legal Professional).

--Ms. Siggy, PP, CLP, ALP