Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Varget Powder - hard to meter, but question

j28s

OK. I know this is going to sound crazy, but have a question. I have about 8 lbs of Varget and it doesn't meter well at all in my Dillon 650 so I don't use it. So I had this crazy thought...granted it will probably change the dynamics of the powder...but what if it would work.

So, get a blender (like a food blender you use in your kitchen). Pour 4 lbs of Varget in it. Get a 200 ft drop cord..unplug it from the wall...check 10 times to make sure. push the button on the blender on, go 200 ft and plug it in. Blend the powder for 30 seconds. unplug it...wait for 20 minutes and check it out. If it doesn't blow up...would it work? Would it change the dynamics of the powder? Granted I'm curious if it would work...but not sure I would do it. Thoughts?

the burn rate of powders is controlled through a combination of grain shape and size (surface area) and burn retarding coatings, so running it through a blender would both change the grain size and abrade away a portion of the coatings, I would also imagine that the grinding would not be equal throughout the batch so that would be a additional problem. My guess is if you were able to get a even grind (I think this is unlikely) it would make for a much faster burn than the original powder and would there fore not be suitable for the same loads.

basically its a BAD idea.

Mike

Thanks guys. Mike - that's what I wanted to know...basically the dynamics and properties of the powder change thus affect the velocity/burn rate. Wish someone had some TAC to trade, but that stuff is like finding a needle in a haystack. :)

Yes, bad idea to blend it...but nice if it would work. When I tried to use it and it spilled out all over the press when trying to load...I thought...what if. I ended up just poured it back into the jug and stored it away...been using TAC ever since

Thanks again.

A few light taps with your left hand on the powder measure on the downstroke will help avoid bridging and also seems to make the drop more consistent.

If you want a more automated way, you can try taping a dildo, or something else that vibrates, to the powder measure. Whatever you happen to have handy...

Edited by gose

I think gose and j28s should host the next shooting match in their area together. That could be quite an event.

On another note, given powders can be hard to find, it would be nice to have a trading forum to swap supplies.

• 2 weeks later...