Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What powders do you use for 9mm reloads?

charliez

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Everyone is going to have their own opinion about what is best. Once they find a powder/load they like, they try to stick with it. In my case since I like Vihtavuori and it is hard to get at times, I start to worry about getting low and will reorder whenever I get down to 4lbs.

For 9mm I would stick with a fast/clean burning powder. If I would ever run out or couldn't get any VV I would try Clays or Titegroup

Currently using WST with 147gr cast FPs.

I have used Red Dot with 125gr LRNs and plated 115s. With the 125s at 135 PF, it feels a little sharp, like a firecracker going off. It also will not run a G34 very well unless it is very lightly sprung. As it does not meter too well, I will not be buying any more Red Dot if I can avoid it.

N340, though it will kick a bit more. Solo 1000. Universal Clays is a good all around powder and works well for me with my practice moly 147's, but, with Hodgdon's production problems, it isn't too available either.

I just loaded the same bullet at the same PF with WST, 700X and Clays: the first two felt about the same, but the Clays was much softer. I've never shot VV but I hear it's pretty great too.

I´ve heard a lot god stuff about Clays, but never used it.

So I would recommend, reduced to one powder, VV N320.

But I will look forward to get my hands on Clays too.