Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Classifier fees

Sarge

Are classifier fees paid for every shooter in a match or only those who shoot the classifier? My last match there were 3 of us that did not shoot the classifier because it got torn down prematurely. Do I owe for us 3 as well?

I sent an email to the head shed but they won't see it until Monday I'm sure

From here: https://www.uspsa.org/classifiers/Intro.pdf

Basically if you run a USPSA branded match, you get to pay an activity fee. If the match has no classifier then $1.50 per shooter, if it does $3 per shooter. I'd say in your case you would owe $3 for anyone who shot it and maybe $1.50 for those who haven't, but who knows, they might want $3 because the classifier was there, regardless if it was shot or not.

Kevin,

Good question. In EZ WinScore on your end, did you check the USPSA Activity Report that was generated for the matches you are talking about? If you have access to that, check that.

The Activity Report breaks out the number of shooters that shot the standard activity fee in that division ($1.50) AND those that shot the classifier in that division ($1.50) and the applicable fees that apply for each. It adds both (standard fee + classifier fee) to come up with Total Fees Owed to USPSA.

If my thinking is right, EZ WinScore should not charge the extra $1.50 for shooters that DNF (Did Not Fire) the classifier. When you do your scoring entry in EZ WinScore you mark competitors "DNF" if they did not shoot that COF so you shouldn't be charged for it. I have not directed and scored a match yet where a shooter did not shoot the classifier so I am not certain. Check the Activity Report and it should tell you a story.

Also, you know clubs are charged $3.00 person for a match with classifier and $1.50 only per person for matches without a classifier. If you do the math and know your total # of competitors and only add $1.50 for each person that didn't shoot the classifier and $3 for those that shot the classifier, that should give you the answer also.

My bet is that those that didn't shoot the classifier are not going for record in the classifier program so the club shouldn't be charged extra $1.50 each for individuals that did not shoot the classifier.

Hope this helped, or not :-).

Jeff

Edited by Jeff9mmM&P

It all helps. :) But I had stats make all the entries before it dawned on me that we may not owe the full $3 per shooter if not all shot the classifier. So now I have the USPSA bill to pay for the full amount. Granted, it's only a few bucks but it's not really my money so I need to make sure I only spend what is needed. I guess I'll wait and see what USPSA has to say and post it here so we can maybe all learn something.

The answer to this question is yes, the match is charged $1.50 for each competitor in the match for the classifier, whether or not a given competitor actually shot the stage.

I created a test match (included here) and defined a stage and also added a classifier. I registered two competitors. One competitor shot both stages, the other one did not fire the classifier (DNF). Calculate results and look at the activity report, the USPSA Activity Fee total is $6.00.

Here's the match file for you to play around with yourselves. Does not matter if you clean up lose ends and mark the guy as DNF or just don't enter anything for him. (I prefer cleaning up lose ends.) The results are the same.

20130928 test match.zip

The answer to this question is yes, the match is charged $1.50 for each competitor in the match for the classifier, whether or not a given competitor actually shot the stage.

I created a test match (included here) and defined a stage and also added a classifier. I registered two competitors. One competitor shot both stages, the other one did not fire the classifier (DNF). Calculate results and look at the activity report, the USPSA Activity Fee total is $6.00.

Here's the match file for you to play around with yourselves. Does not matter if you clean up lose ends and mark the guy as DNF or just don't enter anything for him. (I prefer cleaning up lose ends.) The results are the same.

attachicon.gif20130928 test match.zip

Ahh, okay. Good job, you took my idea.

I was going to put together a bogus match like that also to test and see what the total cost came out to be. It would be interesting to get headquarters reasoning why a club gets charged a classifier fee even if a shooter DOES NOT shoot the classifier stage. The answer may just be tied to better profitability for the organization and the fact it is not USPSA's fault the shooter did not shoot the classifier.

Maybe Kevin will get a more complete answer around Monday. Yes, please let us know when you get the answer back Kevin.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff9mmM&P

From HQ this morning:

Good morning, Kevin!

Thank you for your inquiry. Any time you have a match that contains a classifier, that makes it a classifier match and the fee is $3 per shooter, whether the competitor shot the classifier or not. You may want to give those who didn’t get a chance to shoot the classifier some kind of discount or other “oops!” acknowledgement (maybe an extra doughnut?), but the classifier match fee stays the same.

It all helps. :) But I had stats make all the entries before it dawned on me that we may not owe the full $3 per shooter if not all shot the classifier. So now I have the USPSA bill to pay for the full amount. Granted, it's only a few bucks but it's not really my money so I need to make sure I only spend what is needed. I guess I'll wait and see what USPSA has to say and post it here so we can maybe all learn something.

attachicon.gif20130928 test match.zip

Club charges X dollars for a classifier reshoot. Are you charged $1.50 or $3 by USPSA.?

Depends. If the competitor is reshooting the classifier in the same division, it doesn't cost ANYTHING extra; ezwinscore simply picks the best of the two runs to upload. If the competitor reshoots in a different division, then it's another $3.

Depends. If the competitor is reshooting the classifier in the same division, it doesn't cost ANYTHING extra; ezwinscore simply picks the best of the two runs to upload. If the competitor reshoots in a different division, then it's another $3.

Thanks. Nice to know information.