Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Matchsaverz detonation problem

dmshozer1

Think about this!

You are using your Matchsaver in a "oh shit" moment. The idea is to get that shell in there fast!

You slide it back to go into the port and hit the bolt release but the shell got hung up between the front and back of the ejection port. The bolt comes forward. The extractor hits the hung up shell primer.

Boom, a 12 gauge has detonated 6" from your face!!!

Nasty! Think about it.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you seen this happen ?

Not personally, but I can absolutely see how it could happen.

Heard shooters talking about it while attending the FNH match last week.

They were people who shoot all the big ones.

Just trying give shooters a heads up.

I watched a shell get "thrown" down range by the bolt handle when the shell had drifted back far enough to get hit. We were just amazed that it hadn't gone off as it had a darn good dent in the primer.

Match savers, plus twos and all those types of things hanging off guns kind of look like a Jerry can attached to the side of a Ferrari:)

Think about this!

You are using your Matchsaver in a "oh shit" moment. The idea is to get that shell in there fast!

You slide it back to go into the port and hit the bolt release but the shell got hung up between the front and back of the ejection port. The bolt comes forward. The extractor hits the hung up shell primer.

Nasty! Think about it.

Ummm... Yeah I guess thats possible. Also possible if you pull a shell out of your weak hand caddy, load 2/quad load setup, or the cargo pocket of your super tactical operator pants and try to port load in a hurry. I'd be a lot more worried about the accidental loading when tossing the gun in a barrel like Mark mentioned than a shell blowing up. What is the proposed solution? Quit shooting if you run your shotgun dry?

Either don't run the gun dry, or safety on even if you do run it dry.

As far as dumping the gun goes, absolutely! I try to always put the safety on, I don't wan't to have to think about if my gun is really empty or not. It's too easy to throw it on every time regardless. I was just making a smart ass remark in the above post about being overly concerned about "detonation", although reading it now I think I came off sounding more like a d-bag than I intended.

I think the preferred solution is to get yer sums & figurin right on the stage walk through and don't miss to the point of slide lock and you won't offend the purists (Like Kurt)

by soiling the clean lines of a good Benelli shotgun. with plastic, elastic and Velcro.

Think about this!

Nasty! Think about it.

How is the above any different than running dry, regardless of the load method?

I have been made aware of this occurring twice so far, plus 2 DQs when the shell got bumped into the open port while being dumped in a barrel.

Twice having a round go off, or the DQs due to a shell going into the open port??

I watched a shell get "thrown" down range by the bolt handle when the shell had drifted back far enough to get hit. We were just amazed that it hadn't gone off as it had a darn good dent in the primer.

Match savers, plus twos and all those types of things hanging off guns kind of look like a Jerry can attached to the side of a Ferrari:)

This one's interesting, meaning the recoil and movement from the gun pushed the shell rearwards in the Matchsaver until the bolt hit it closing and whacked it downrange?

Maybe I'm missing something here, but it seems like the last post by Kurt is the most 'dangerous' here, followed by a DQ if a MS is loose or the shell moves enough to fall into a locked back gun while dumping?

?

A good friend of mine has worked at shotgun sporting ranges his whole life. I once asked him what the strangest thing he had seen was. He told me a long story but the shortened version was someone held a shotgun shell up to the action half of an over under and fired it in her hand. She said it basically felt like getting a really hard hi five but her hands were fine.

Now I wouldn't want to try and recreate the results but the moral was rounds outside a chamber are far less dangerous.

He said there was also a bar style trick where people would catch all the shot from a fired 12 gauge in a paper bag. They used a model 12 removed the barrel stuck a bag over it and pulled the trigger. The bag would catch the shot.

rtp, I know there were 2 DQs due to shells going into the loading port as I was the RM. I heard about two other occurrences of the same thing today. I was told about two occurrences of shells being struck by the charging handle causing primer ignition. Of course, similar to Kurt's, but with ignition. Certainly enough in just a few months to give pause.

A good friend of mine has worked at shotgun sporting ranges his whole life. I once asked him what the strangest thing he had seen was. He told me a long story but the shortened version was someone held a shotgun shell up to the action half of an over under and fired it in her hand. She said it basically felt like getting a really hard hi five but her hands were fine.

Now I wouldn't want to try and recreate the results but the moral was rounds outside a chamber are far less dangerous.

He said there was also a bar style trick where people would catch all the shot from a fired 12 gauge in a paper bag. They used a model 12 removed the barrel stuck a bag over it and pulled the trigger. The bag would catch the shot.

Nice story, but not true! I've seen firsthand the damage a shotshell does when it is ignited out of a chamber, not once, but several times. A hunter in Canada with a lot of damage to his face and permanent eye damage, a 12 year old missing three fingers, a 23 year old who was killed...and there are more.

There ya have it.... A Red Neck Ferrari :roflol:

My Red Neck Ferrari would have a Jerry Can. Yes Sir!